GF 20 kicks, 9 marks, 1 handball, 7 goals 4
21 goals 7 behinds

Gary Ablet Snr 1989
QF 13 kicks, 7 marks, 0 handballs, 3 goals 3
SF 22 kicks, 14 marks, 2 handballs, 7 goals 7
PF 22 kicks, 10 marks, 1 handball, 8 goals 5
GF 12 kicks, 8 marks, 3 handballs, 9 goals 1
27 goals 16 behinds

Not the best ever but one that always stood out to me and gets underrated because we got flogged was Selwood vs Sydney in the 2016 PF

39 touches (25 contested)
13 tackles
9 clearances
8 I50's
6 score involvements
7 intercepts
1 goal

Can't fault him for that game, tried his absoloute arse off. Pity about the rest of the team

Not the best ever but one that always stood out to me and gets underrated because we got flogged was Selwood vs Sydney in the 2016 PF

39 touches (25 contested)
13 tackles
9 clearances
8 I50's
6 score involvements
7 intercepts
1 goal

Can't fault him for that game, tried his absoloute arse off. Pity about the rest of the team
Selwood had lots of match turning finals performances through his peak years - not always reflected in raw stats, but in the way he stamped himself on big moments in games

Michael Gardiner 2005 grand final is one that sticks in my memory, can't remember why though.
Leading and madly yelling when whoever had the ball had turned around to go back to kick and wasn’t facing him was a bold ploy, no one expected him to lead including the player that had turned around so unfortunately the lead was for nix.

And unfortunately didn’t catch on as a clever new tactic.

Probably not as influential as gaz and mates wife shagger mentioned earlier - but hey it made me laugh kind of sadly

Joe Misiti - 2000 QF. 41 disposals and 4 goals

Jarman or Dew
Jarman…. Surely abletts 9 in a grand final has to be in the mix. As someone pointed out old Bernie Quinlan with 5 in a last qtr of a grand final not bad….

Peter matera kicked geelong straight square in the balls on a few occasions also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaun Rehn taling the knee brace off at half time vs WB in the 1997 prelim.

If unforgettable moments count as individual performances, then that was huge. That one act by the big man turned that game.

Wayne Carey - 1994 Preliminary Final vs Geelong
Kicked 6.4 from 24 disposals almost winning the game single handed and all while being unable to train during the week because he had a torn calf.

Selwood was very good but Ablett was our best by a long, long way.

Not denying that at all, but a second year player in a GF doesn't often put in a game that's only showed up by players of the calibre of Ablett or Hodge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back