Top 20 Players in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't see a thread for this one, apologies if there is and I missed it. Not solely based on last season, not based on for the rest of their careers, just based on going into next season who you would take for season 2024.

1. Bontempelli
2. T Greene
3. Petracca
4. Gawn
5. Curnow
6. N Daicos
7. Butters
8. S Taylor
9. T Stewart
10. Neale
11. J Cameron
12. Dawson
13. Rozee
14. Andrews
15. Moore
16. Gulden
17. Oliver (would be higher if not for the worries off field)
18. May
19. Walsh
20. T Green

Weitering, C Cameron and DeGoey unlucky and next best for me.

Nick Daicos
Jordan DeGoey
Scott Pendlebury
Josh Daicos
Steele Sidebottom
Bobby Hill
Darcy Moore
Jack Crisp
Brayden Maynard
Isaac Quanor
Jamie Elliot
Jeremy Howe
Mason Cox
Tom Mitchell
Brodie Miochek
Beau McCreery
Oleg Markov
Will Hoskin-Elliot
Nathan Murphy
Darcy Cameron

Think that's about right

Nick Daicos
Jordan DeGoey
Scott Pendlebury
Josh Daicos
Steele Sidebottom
Bobby Hill
Darcy Moore
Jack Crisp
Brayden Maynard
Isaac Quanor
Jamie Elliot
Jeremy Howe
Mason Cox
Tom Mitchell
Brodie Miochek
Beau McCreery
Oleg Markov
Will Hoskin-Elliot
Nathan Murphy
Darcy Cameron

Think that's about right

Wow that's so original

I've never seen anyone do anything like that post before

You must be some Oscar Wilde wordplay genius

Would not have Charlie Curnow anywhere near the top 20. A flat track bully who cannot deliver in finals cannot make the list. Give me a De Goey over him who delivers when it counts every day of the week.

Couldn't see a thread for this one, apologies if there is and I missed it. Not solely based on last season, not based on for the rest of their careers, just based on going into next season who you would take for season 2024.

1. Bontempelli
2. T Greene
3. Petracca
4. Gawn
5. Curnow
6. N Daicos
7. Butters
8. S Taylor
9. T Stewart
10. Neale
11. J Cameron
12. Dawson
13. Rozee
14. Andrews
15. Moore
16. Gulden
17. Oliver (would be higher if not for the worries off field)
18. May
19. Walsh
20. T Green

Weitering, C Cameron and DeGoey unlucky and next best for me.

Great effort, never easy making these lists, I think you've done a good job.

From my point of view, I think Sinclair is ahead of Dawson, certainly on output over the last 2 years. But I can also see why some people may expect big things from Dawson in 2024

Sicily has been the best defender in the league for 2 years yet doesn't rate a mention.
Will go the way of Sam Mitchell who wasn't rated until he hit retirement, then it was "how do the hawks replace him?"

Still don't rate Mitchell that much. Kirk used to go to him and Mitchell would be a non-entity most of the game.

Sicily has been the best defender in the league for 2 years yet doesn't rate a mention.
Will go the way of Sam Mitchell who wasn't rated until he hit retirement, then it was "how do the hawks replace him?"

It's just one person's opinion and means nothing, but yeah, it's odd seeing Tom Stewart at 9 and Sicily nowhere to be seen.

It's just one person's opinion and means nothing, but yeah, it's odd seeing Tom Stewart at 9 and Sicily nowhere to be seen.
Agree, I’d definitely take sic ahead of stewart these days.

youve got to have a couple of tall forwards in - curnow had a rough finals series but he’s still in the top 20 for mine.

from Freo I really hope Luke Jackson is in these conversations for 25 or 26. Not sure who else has the potential at the moment. Maybe I’ll just settle for us making up 12 of the top 100 instead 😉

Everyone nitpicking but nobody sharing their own top 20's.

Angry Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Daicos
Jordan DeGoey
Scott Pendlebury
Josh Daicos
Steele Sidebottom
Bobby Hill
Darcy Moore
Jack Crisp
Brayden Maynard
Isaac Quanor
Jamie Elliot
Jeremy Howe
Mason Cox
Tom Mitchell
Brodie Miochek
Beau McCreery
Oleg Markov
Will Hoskin-Elliot
Nathan Murphy
Darcy Cameron

Think that's about right
No Billy Frampton?

Is the All Australian team a decent basis to go off? of the 22 possibly Nick Larkey and Caleb Serong/Zac Merrett as bench players drop off to be the '20'

Mine

T Greene
Bont
Petracca
J cameron
N Daicos
L Neale
T Stewart
C Curnow
Z Merrett
C Rozee
S Taylor
Z Butters
P Cripps
E Gulden
J Sicily
C Serong
T Green
N Anderson
T English
D Moore

Would not have Charlie Curnow anywhere near the top 20. A flat track bully who cannot deliver in finals cannot make the list. Give me a De Goey over him who delivers when it counts every day of the week.

He has performed pretty well against us over the years, is that a flat track? Clearly the best key forward in the game imo. Jeremy Cameron is a more hybrid type.

He has performed pretty well against us over the years, is that a flat track? Clearly the best key forward in the game imo. Jeremy Cameron is a more hybrid type.

He has kicked 3 goals in total in 3 finals and his direct opponent was the oppositions best player in two of those. Finals are a step up and he was found out. He has time to turn it around but at the moment there are massive question marks.

1. Marcus Bontempelli
2. Christian Petracca
3. Toby Greene
4. Jeremy Cameron
5. Nick Daicos
6. Clayton Oliver
7. James Sicily
8. Max Gawn
9. Zak Butters
10. Jordan Dawson
11. Errol Gulden
12. Connor Rozee
13. Lachie Neale
14. Sam Walsh
15. Taylor Walker
16. Zach Merrett
17. Charlie Curnow
18. Charlie Cameron
19. Sam Taylor
20. Jack Sinclair

Last edited:
Still don't rate Mitchell that much. Kirk used to go to him and Mitchell would be a non-entity most of the game.

This is such a strange take for a number of reasons.

Firstly, why would you assess the ability of a player by their performances against only 1 side rather than against all sides?- that seems weird to me. It would be akin to Hawthorn supporters saying they don't rate Buddy Franklin cos he never really tore us a new one or beat us in a game of significance.

Secondly, Mitchell won a Brownlow, was unlucky runner up in another, was the best midfielder in a threepeat and won all of his AA's - all after Kirk retired. Not sure why you would judge a player based on less than half a career overlap - when his peak came entirely after the only overlap period. It would be a bit like judging Gary Ablett Jnr on his 2002-2007 and saying you didn't rate him (not exactly the same scenario but you get the idea).

Thirdly - and what makes your post particularly strange to me - is that Mitchell was very well performed against Sydney, especially when it mattered. In the 2014 Grand Final (where Sydney were strong favourites), Mitchell had 33 possessions, 12 contested (most of any Hawk), 9 tackles (easily most on ground) and 7 clearances (easily most on ground). IN the second quarter when Hawthorn did all the damage, Hawthorn had 5 straight centre clearances that led to goals - Sam Mitchell won all 5 of them. He was runner up in the Norm Smith (missed the Norm by 1 vote) with a performance that was good enough to win the award in nearly any other year. In the qualifying final the year before, Mitchell had 29 possessions and was judged BOG against Sydney. 2 years before that, in the semi final, he had 29 possessions (12 contested, 5 clearances) and was adgudged BOG again against Sydney. In his whole career, he only experienced one finals loss against Sydney and averaged 29 disposals in finals against them and was adjudged in the top two on the ground in all but 1 game.

Finally, even looking at the Kirk match up you are referencing - doesn't the fact that Roos used his best midfielder to play a hard lock down on Mitchell suggest he rated him? Even then, I remember Mitchell's break out game (in 2003) where he had a ridiculous first quarter and Kirk went to him for the first time in the 2nd quarter. Mitchell finished the game with 27 disposals, 12 clearances, 9 inside 50's (2 goal assists) and his first 3 vote game. He thrashed Kirk that day (even as a kid) and was so dominant that Kirk played a permanent lock down on him in future match ups. The next year, Kirk did a better job but Mitchell still got the chocolates and earnt Brownlow votes. In all, Kirk went to Mitchell 10 times in his (329 game) career. In fairness, Kirk certainly effectively curtailed him a couple of days (and was a fantastic player). Mitchell got Brownlow votes in 3 of the 10 (30%) and had the most possessions, clearances, etc of any Hawk at least 2 more times (but no votes as Hawthorn were beaten).

As I said, I think it's a strange reason not to rate someone (a bit like how you said something about rating Lumumba higher than Pendlebury cos of how they played against Sydney - which I think is equally a bit strange).

On this year's form I wouldn't have Stewart close to the top 20. Just about every loss in the second half of the season (we lost 5 of our last 6 for starters) involved him making absolute howlers on a not infrequent basis. The commentators love him so it's mostly ignored.

I'd have Sicily ahead in a heartbeat. Still think Sam Taylor is the overall best key defender right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back