Opinion Your top 5 overated players

Remove this Banner Ad

Ironic many of the players that are ‘over-rated’ have been rated highly by footy media and coaches. You know, most of which played the game, and coach the game, and most likely watch and study each one.

That opposed to a bunch of guys who just watch their team (incidentally of which all are underrated) and flick between pr0n and the game on match day.

Yeah seems credible.
This is literally a thread about overrated players and you are questioning the credibility of people naming players they think are overrated...

Disposals and pressure acts and tackles and disposal efficiency don't matter for a full back. Fmd😂

Disposals - I won't even dignify this with a response tbh.

Pressure acts and tackles - usually these numbers go down for a key defender when they spoil/intercept effectively. If you as the defender allow your opponent to get the ball to ground inside 50, you are going to have more pressure acts/tackles as a result of you doing your job poorly.

Disposal efficiency - firstly, the difference between Wilkie and Weitering in this category is negligible. Secondly, this stat means absolutely nothing without context. A player that takes kick ins, handballs more than they kick, and always goes to the easy option is more likely to have a higher disposal efficiency. In the modern game that you seem to love so much, defenders who take risks with their kicks are much more valuable. Those players are more likely to have a lower disposal efficiency. Therefore, using this stat to mount a case for Wilkie over Weitering is totally pointless.

Hope that helps.

Moore
May
Weitering
Wilkie
Harris Andrews
Taylor

The fact that you have Taylor last in this list tells me that you have no idea about what makes a good key defender. Here is a better list:

Taylor
May
Weitering
Andrews
Moore
Wilkie

It's not a popular opinion I'm sure but he's never struck me as an out and out gun, just like Brown never did before him.
71 goals is a great effort in a very poor team. But you're right, in that he only kicked 38 in 2022 and 42 in 2021. Still a fair effort given his age and given North's performance over the years.

He probably needs to back it up with another year like 2023. If he does, would be difficult to say he is overrated.

1. Nick Daicos - An awful lot of hype for a half back flanker racking up 30+ uncontested touches a game. Do not rate.
2. Max Gawn - Wins a ton of hitouts, few are effective. Only gets huge stats because of his time on ground. Garbage up forward. Proven he can't play with any other ruckman. Arguably loses his team more games than he wins.
3. Errol Gulden - Dime a dozen midfielder for me. Clearly an umpires pet given last years brownlow result. Don't understand the hype.
4. Jordan DeGoey - Played a handful of good games in his career, goes missing in the vast majority. Don't rate him as a midfielder at all.
5. Zach Merrett - High possession minimal impact footballer. Doesn't kick goals. Do not rate at all.
Quite possibly the worst list. Of couse a Blues fan will have at least 2 Collingwood players in the list of most overrated.
Add another kid in Gulden who was sensational second half of the year and 'don't understand the hype' and a 'dime a dozen'.
Gawn, possibly the best ruckman in the game over the past decade. 'Arguably loses his team more games than he wins'??? How does that work?
JDG who shows up in big games like finals, unlike Curnow who melts and needs to be carried.

Not sure this guy realises Naicos has been playing 50% in the midfield. Targeted by practically every coach each week. Highly rated by coaches as per AFLCA best player votes. Almost won the Brownlow. Pies have rocked up to a PF and then a premiership since he has been at the club. A matchwinner. Skill, class. All in 2 years. Obviously hurting Carlton supporters to witness.

Disposals - I won't even dignify this with a response tbh.

Pressure acts and tackles - usually these numbers go down for a key defender when they spoil/intercept effectively. If you as the defender allow your opponent to get the ball to ground inside 50, you are going to have more pressure acts/tackles as a result of you doing your job poorly.

Disposal efficiency - firstly, the difference between Wilkie and Weitering in this category is negligible. Secondly, this stat means absolutely nothing without context. A player that takes kick ins, handballs more than they kick, and always goes to the easy option is more likely to have a higher disposal efficiency. In the modern game that you seem to love so much, defenders who take risks with their kicks are much more valuable. Those players are more likely to have a lower disposal efficiency. Therefore, using this stat to mount a case for Wilkie over Weitering is totally pointless.

Hope that helps.

The fact that you have Taylor last in this list tells me that you have no idea about what makes a good key defender. Here is a better list:

Taylor
May
Weitering
Andrews
Moore
Wilkie
I'll start with your last paragraph. My list wasn't in any order. I said it was the list of the best key defenders. Where did I rank them? And you really think Darcy Moore is the second worst on the list? Why?

The rest : kicking efficiency, disposal efficiency, disposals, tackles, pressure acts... All irrelevant for assessing a full back according to you. Ok umm ..well that's.... An opinion I guess.

Sam Draper

He's talked up in media as if it's a lay-down misere that he'll dominate the comp once fully fit as if he was previously or was so talented that he couldn't not. I swear he's done nothing. At least with most flashy players that aren't actually any good, you have a highlights reel to point at.

Now the contentious one is out of the way, some we can all agree on.

Reid
Sheezel
Butters
Naicos
I agree with Draper i strongly strongly disagree with the rest of them.

1- Darcy Moore
2- James Scicily
3- Touk Miller
4- Andrew Brayshaw
5- Callum Wilkie
6- Tom Libratore

It's funny you want to keep arguing that possessions, tackles, pressure acts, marks, disposal efficiency, kicking efficiency are useless stats for assessing the performance of a full back.

The reason I am dismissive of your attempt to claim this is twofold. Firstly I consider it so manifestly stupid that it is not worth arguing about in any depth, Secondly, I've already been having this discussion with the other Carlton guy for pages now before you jumped in. Yawn.

Your statistical "nuances" are as simplistic as your assessment of Darcy Moore as a defender.
Then you say "you've "proven" me wrong"😂. You've "proven" something alright mate but it wasn't that.

spot on

So if someone's opinion is different to yours it's because they are 100% wrong - very Sam McClure of you.

I personally have Taylor and Weitering as the best defenders in the league. Players that can shut down their man and still impact with intercept marking and generally leading the back 6. Both players have consistently made star forwards look very average. Andrews and May would round out my top 4 - both incredibly good defenders as well.
Taylor yes 🔫. Weitering please , is a popgun compared to the elite level tall backs.

Taylor yes 🔫. Weitering please , is a popgun compared to the elite level tall backs.
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. If someone thinks Weitering isn't even an elite key defender than there is no way I am going to be able to convince them that he's top 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most obvious one for me is De Goey. Mostly the media's fault. He's good, but not as great as he's touted by some.

For all those saying Bont is overrated, I strongly disagree.

If anything he's underrated. A once in a generation player. Supreme class and skill.
An argument was good for De Goey until 2023. His big game and finals record is far too strong now to be degraded.

Hipwood, Heeney, Dixon, Hopper and Darcy Moore.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Even Eagles fans don't rate Andrew Gaff.
Good player in a good side playing off a wing. Would still be if that were the case.

The Moore call of being over rated has legs. His Gf was deplorable and he was with Frampton the reason Brisbane were in the game.

Last edited:
Sam Docherty. Plays kick to kick in the backline, and struggles to defend or win any contests.

If you’re gonna troll, at least be good at it.
It’s my opinion. Sam Docherty is way overrated and has been for many years. Why is it that Carlton fans are happy to list as their opinion players like Siciliy, Daicos etc, and if anyone dares mention a Blues player it’s trolling? Are all your players underrated?

Docherty is the master of playing kick to kick in defence.

I think generally speaking we are pretty good at 'rating' footballers, with the exception of occasionally 'overrating' footballers from our own team, as we see more of them than supporters of other teams.

Heeney is a good example of someone who has been nominated by a number of posters, but I reckon we've all got a pretty good gauge on where he's at as a footballer. He has the ability to tear games apart, but simply doesn't do it often enough. However, I feel that is the result of his role in the team and position on the ground, where the occasional quiet game is dufficult to avoid.

Harry McKay is another one. He had a great year a couple of seasons ago to win the Coleman, but for whatever reason he's lost confidence in his kicking, but still has a great pair of hands and does some of his best work further up the ground as a contested marking connector.

But regardless, does anyone 'rate' either of these players in the top 50 players in the competition? If people generally did, then yes they'd be overrated. Otherwise, we rate them pretty much where they should be rated.

I think generally speaking we are pretty good at 'rating' footballers, with the exception of occasionally 'overrating' footballers from our own team, as we see more of them than supporters of other teams.

Heeney is a good example of someone who has been nominated by a number of posters, but I reckon we've all got a pretty good gauge on where he's at as a footballer. He has the ability to tear games apart, but simply doesn't do it often enough. However, I feel that is the result of his role in the team and position on the ground, where the occasional quiet game is dufficult to avoid.

Harry McKay is another one. He had a great year a couple of seasons ago to win the Coleman, but for whatever reason he's lost confidence in his kicking, but still has a great pair of hands and does some of his best work further up the ground as a contested marking connector.

But regardless, does anyone 'rate' either of these players in the top 50 players in the competition? If people generally did, then yes they'd be overrated. Otherwise, we rate them pretty much where they should be rated.
Exactly … plus Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back