Top 5 Midfields 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen a bit of Newcombe. Does most things well but I wouldn't say he was a great user of the footy particularly by foot. Doesn't mean that he can't improve or that he can't be a really good midfielder without improving his kicking (e.g. Dangerfield, Adams)

He's got Worpel covered at least. It would be a huge concern if he didn't though.

Disposal efficiency jumped from 66% in 2022 (first full season) to 76% in 2023.

That was most Hawk supporters biggest concern about his ceiling heading into 2023 and he rectified it by a whopping 10%.

That was most Hawk supporters biggest concern about his ceiling heading into 2023 and he rectified it by a whopping 10%.
1707046130358.png

Disposal efficiency has improved but his handball to kick ratio also increased quite dramatically. Has he improved his kicking though? Serious question, I know little about him. I just saw disposal efficiency vs kicking efficiency in the original discussion and ran a side by side comparison of ‘22 vs ‘23.

View attachment 1898741

Disposal efficiency has improved but his handball to kick ratio also increased quite dramatically. Has he improved his kicking though? Serious question, I know little about him. I just saw disposal efficiency vs kicking efficiency in the original discussion and ran a side by side comparison of ‘22 vs ‘23.
His kicking effeciency went from 59.8% in 2022 to 69.3% in 2023. While improving his contested possession rate.

Overall he’s improved his composure with ball in hand and looks a lot more settled at the top level.

He backs himself in now to take the extra second to find the right target. Which has eliminated a lot of his rushed poorer kicks.

View attachment 1898741

We want him kicking it more, I can say that much.
He and Day should be kicking it more than they are handballing and the opposite can be said for Worpel and Nash, at least for team balance.

Tbh I’m bullish on the tigers midfield in 2024. Yze is apparently making it our strong suit and we are playing Dusty essentially 80% + in there instead of 50%.

Since Cotchin is gone we also have better balance and can add more pace. Another year of Taranto and Hopper gelling with the team. Not sure if top 5 but I think it can be finals quality

Or he just took easier short kicks? Plenty of ways to get disposal efficiency stats up. More to it than just quoting a %.

Tbh I’m bullish on the tigers midfield in 2024. Yze is apparently making it our strong suit and we are playing Dusty essentially 80% + in there instead of 50%.

Since Cotchin is gone we also have better balance and can add more pace. Another year of Taranto and Hopper gelling with the team. Not sure if top 5 but I think it can be finals quality
Will be amazed if Richmond are outside the bottom 5.

Or he just took easier short kicks? Plenty of ways to get disposal efficiency stats up. More to it than just quoting a %.

He goes for very aggressive long kicks. Gets a lot of penetration. Serious power in those tree trunk legs.

He will miss them from time to time but when it hits it can be very damaging.

He’s 179cm tall. And he’s never been fast. He runs 20m in 3.06 seconds which makes him as fast as Mitch Georgiades.
Why comment on things you clearly have no idea about?

Hangs around like a bad smell whenever his beloved Demons are mentioned.

Oh wait.

We’ll have one of the top midfields in 2 years

LDU
Wardlaw
Sheezel
Thomas
Mckercher
Simpkin

Powell
Phillips

That’s going to be an incredible midfield to watch in the coming years.

LDU, Wardlaw and McKercher as a starting 3 are going to be unstoppable.

I think ours has the potential to challenge yours in a few years and look forward to some great battles from 2026 and beyond.

Day
Newcombe
Ward
Mackenzie
Macdonald
Hustwaite
Nash
Worpel

Many may laugh, but I honestly believe the Hawks and North Melbourne will have the two best midfields in the AFL by the end of 2026.

I think ours has the potential to challenge yours in a few years and look forward to some great battles from 2026 and beyond.

Day
Newcombe
Ward
Mackenzie
Macdonald
Hustwaite
Nash
Worpel

Many may laugh, but I honestly believe the Hawks and North Melbourne will have the two best midfields in the AFL by the end of 2026.
Freos will be ok to our first and second starting 4, all 25 and under

Darcy brayshaw serong young

Jackson Johnson Erasmus chapman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day
Newcombe
Ward
Mackenzie
Macdonald
Hustwaite
Nash
Worpel

Conor Mcgregor Sport GIF by UFC

Who da fook is that guy?

I did a top 10 instead, sue me.
This is not how I personally would rate the teams, but I basically looked at teams contested possessions, Centre clearances, stoppage clearances as whole. I then also looked at the differencials they give up in those areas, I then devised a points system based on how they preformed in said statistics. I also proceeded to sprinkle in some tackles, Hit outs to advantage, Score launces etc. with just a hint of bias in there for good measure and this was the outcome.

1. Bulldogs
2. Brisbane
3. Melbourne
4. Gold Coast
5. Adelaide
6. Carlton
7. GWS
8. Hawthorn
9. Port Adelaide
10. Fremantle

It's worth mentioning that Essendon and St kilda both scored well using this arbitrary points system I cooked up, But I don't believe they should be in this discussion so I purged them.
Definetely wouldn't have Adelaide or Hawthorn anywhere near it on current form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back