Opinion Your top 5 overated players

Remove this Banner Ad

1 - Stringer. Can be a matchwinner but unfortunately it happens extremely rarely. 'The Package' has it all except commitment and work ethic. One of the few players in the league that can get away with coasting on talent.

2 - Zac Merrett. People (Essendon fans) thought this guy was as good as Bont and Cripps. Enough said.

3 - Dangerfield. Handy player in the same mould as Adam Cooney. Can sprint really fast from congestion which looks great but is let down by his kicking after a burst.

4 - Cam Zurharr. Handy player with the very odd stellar game. Descriptions as the best player currently alive earlier in the year were well off the mark.

5. Bailey Smith. Social media output has far exceeded his onfield efforts. Save for one great finals series he hasn't lived up to the hype he built early on in his career.

1 - Stringer. Can be a matchwinner but unfortunately it happens extremely rarely. 'The Package' has it all except commitment and work ethic. One of the few players in the league that can get away with coasting on talent.

2 - Zac Merrett. People (Essendon fans) thought this guy was as good as Bont and Cripps. Enough said.

3 - Dangerfield. Handy player in the same mould as Adam Cooney. Can sprint really fast from congestion which looks great but is let down by his kicking after a burst.

4 - Cam Zurharr. Handy player with the very odd stellar game. Descriptions as the best player currently alive earlier in the year were well off the mark.

5. Bailey Smith. Social media output has far exceeded his onfield efforts. Save for one great finals series he hasn't lived up to the hype he built early on in his career.
I agree with all but danger.
He may not be the messiah like some say but he’s no flash in the pan Cooney and has definitely earned his stripes gun footballer

Last edited:
Even Eagles fans don't rate Andrew Gaff.

Current - Heeney
Looks like Tarzan, but too often plays like Jane. Still unsure if he's a forward or a mid.
Been waiting for years for him to become a genuine top 10 player in the competition but he's never gotten near it.
He's not a bad player by any means, but for the gifts he has and how he was talked about early on in his career, he's certainly fitting of the 'overrated' tag.

Historically - Jonathan Brown
There was an ad on TV once where they built the 'prototype' of a footballer, and Brownie was the end result.
Only ever won one Coleman.
Was a media darling who constantly avoided the same scrutiny as other forwards when he has down patches, and he had plenty of those.
Different types of forwards, but I rate Jack Reiwoldt's career higher.

Orazio Fantasia
Xavier Duursma
Charlie Dixon
Isaac Heeney
Andrew Gaff

Jack Viney
Cameron Guthrie
Aliir Aliir
Mason Redman
Tom McCartin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to say it but Heeney would be in contention to be on the list. His best is as good as anyone in the competition and he can be a match winner for the Swans but he goes missing far too much and we only see him at his best every so often, sometimes he goes 2 or 3 matches without being sighted before putting in a blinder.

is it though?

1. Nick Daicos - An awful lot of hype for a half back flanker racking up 30+ uncontested touches a game. Do not rate.
2. Max Gawn - Wins a ton of hitouts, few are effective. Only gets huge stats because of his time on ground. Garbage up forward. Proven he can't play with any other ruckman. Arguably loses his team more games than he wins.
3. Errol Gulden - Dime a dozen midfielder for me. Clearly an umpires pet given last years brownlow result. Don't understand the hype.
4. Jordan DeGoey - Played a handful of good games in his career, goes missing in the vast majority. Don't rate him as a midfielder at all.
5. Zach Merrett - High possession minimal impact footballer. Doesn't kick goals. Do not rate at all.

1. Harry McKay - TCloke V2, theyd be hard pressed to trade him for what they think hes worth.
2. Weitering - Goes to water when the pressure and physical contact are applied. Slightest niggle and he is done
3. Jake Stringer - Still over hyped whilst never achieving what his "potential" was touted to be
4. Adam Saad - All pace no substance, appalling disposal and lack of acountability
5. Tom Papley - Winter Olympics Down Hill Skiing may have been his calling

1. Harry McKay - TCloke V2, theyd be hard pressed to trade him for what they think hes worth.
2. Weitering - Goes to water when the pressure and physical contact are applied. Slightest niggle and he is done
3. Jake Stringer - Still over hyped whilst never achieving what his "potential" was touted to be
4. Adam Saad - All pace no substance, appalling disposal and lack of acountability
5. Tom Papley - Winter Olympics Down Hill Skiing may have been his calling

Couldn't come up with 5 Carlton players? :$

This could be named the Michael Voss award.

Not in any order
1. Qaynor. I just don't see it, besides as an ok stopper
2. Andrew Brayshaw - I would love to see him pushed back to the WAFL
3. Mitch Lewis - dime a dozen key forward, spoken about as if he is Carey
4. Dusty - absolute superstar, but some think he is the GOAT. I would still want him in my team.
5. Brad Hill - his kicking is always referred to as elite, but it is only good when he takes the easy option

I do expect heat for my comments, so come at me

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

To qualify as 'rated', I am restricting to current players that have made the AA team twice or more as a good proxy. But then I always find these top X stipulations impossible to rank, and find categories easier. The most overrated player types IMO are
1. The accumulating stats padders that aren't damaging - Tom Mitchell, Jack Macrae
2. The defenders that look great as interceptors but can't defend one on ones well - J McGovern, Tom Stewart
3. The faux tough guys that don't actually like putting their head over the ball very often - Cripps, May. Zorko would be top here but he was only AA once I believe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back