Who is your club's most overrated player by your own fans & the media?

Remove this Banner Ad

EFL Boy

Spec Moderator
May 17, 2008
Minneapolis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Panthers, NYR, Bulls, Badgers
Just a different perspective on the classic overrated question. Who do you believe is your clubs most overrated player, from your own fans and the general media?

From our own fans, it was definitely Zerk-Thatcher during trade week, but now I think it's Sam Draper. He has that cult hero status with the mullet and a ridiculously weird play here and there, but in general I don't think he's a standout ruckman that many fans believe/want him to be.

From a media standpoint, I believe it's Andy McGrath. Carrying that #1 draft pick tag, he's been a great servant for the club but he tends to often blaze away and just hack the ball forward imo.

FWIW, Jake Stringer could definitely apply to both, the way some of our fans try to claim he was the best player in the league for the 2nd half of the year a couple years ago is hilarious, and the media will always cling to what he was early days, but I just tried to go a little different.

Easy to say Heeney but I don't think that is the correct answer as most of us on the Swans board are well aware of his flaws.

I am going to go with Parker. Don't get me wrong, he is a good player but I would prefer he play in the forward line to be honest. When he is at the clearances he is the king of the hack kick forward that almost always goes to an opposition player. He doesn't even attempt to look where he is about to kick it.

The annoying thing is his field kicking when he does look is good. He is one of our most reliable set shots, but as an in and under midfielder he is definitely overrated due to his hack kicking.

Ummm, gee.
Well in the past I would've said McGovern who is a four-time All Australian despite being a worse one-on-one defender than either Tom Barrass or Eric Mackenzie (both who have never received All Australian honours).
Don't think he's necessarily rated anymore though.

Just a different perspective on the classic overrated question. Who do you believe is your clubs most overrated player, from your own fans and the general media?

From our own fans, it was definitely Zerk-Thatcher during trade week, but now I think it's Sam Draper. He has that cult hero status with the mullet and a ridiculously weird play here and there, but in general I don't think he's a standout ruckman that many fans believe/want him to be.

From a media standpoint, I believe it's Andy McGrath. Carrying that #1 draft pick tag, he's been a great servant for the club but he tends to often blaze away and just hack the ball forward imo.

FWIW, Jake Stringer could definitely apply to both, the way some of our fans try to claim he was the best player in the league for the 2nd half of the year a couple years ago is hilarious, and the media will always cling to what he was early days, but I just tried to go a little different.
Good thread topic. For Essendon I think Durham is overrated. Always being talked about and I just don't see the actions to back it up.

Bailey Smith.

Played two outstanding finals in 2021 and his work rate is exceptional but he is a below average kick whose best games are either as a HF or as a run-with player where he gets led to the ball.

Media: Logan McDonald.

Internally: Angus Sheldrick (you should hear the messianic talk about him on our board) - and I say this when he is a personal favourite (so I'm a sucker for him too)

Both may turn out amazing, perhaps as soon as this year, but based on their records to date they are overrated.

If the question had been a year ago, I would have said Buddy.

Changkuoth Jiath.. injury prone..incredibly poor defensively with average skills.

I still have high hopes for him and believe he can make it at AFL level due to his athleticism but there’s no chance he makes it as a defender.

Alex Pearce - opposing teams would do well to let him be a part of as many possession chains as possible.

Andrew Brayshaw, by a mile.
Vanilla midfielder with poor skills (he misses 2m handballs & don't get me started on his kicking), whose one wood is his effort.
Oh, & he is a great clubman. An eastern stater who professed his love for the club from the start, so the fans adore him.
If he is in the team, he should be tagging, as he is better when he doesn't have the ball.
Most of his highlights are tackles.
The old 'famous family' syndrome is the only reason he was drafted so highly.

Rory Sloane easily

Jarrod Berry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rory Sloane easily
Agree for the media... but not so much by supporters, most of whom realise he is cooked.

Not straight forward answer for supporters, given differing views. I will go O'Brien, as some tall him up as if he is amongst the best ruckmen, but he is middle of the pack.

Jeremy Cameron.

Still a star, but due to consistency and Finals performances he isn’t quite what some think he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back