Top 5 Midfields 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans mids right up there, 3 of them avg what 25 and more than a goal a game??
freos mids have won every battle this season so far, though lack the scoreboard impact of some others
ports mids have done much the same and have the benefit of cleaner use and pace, though can get outbodied a bit + lack a bit defensively
dees mids have really dropped off this season, trac cant do it all on his own, gawn is massive though
GWS also very classy, green is dominant and cogs and kelly can often snag a goal
carltons mids have been down this year as well, walsh should probs add a bit for them though youd think
geelongs group have done suprisingly well - probably had a weaker fixture thus far though
the suns have been solid too, rowell has really upped his game though still seems a bit one dimensional, anderson and miller are great

Mick's Ranking
  1. Port Adelaide
  2. Melbourne
  3. GWS
  4. Sydney
  5. Fremantle
  6. Brisbane
  7. Geelong
  8. Essendon
  9. Carlton
  10. Gold Coast
  11. Western bulldogs
  12. Collingwood
  13. St Kilda
  14. West Coast
  15. Richmond
  16. Adelaide
  17. North Melbourne
  18. Hawthorn
Readers choice
  1. Carlton
  2. Gold Coast
  3. Western Bulldogs
  4. Collingwood
  5. Brisbane
  6. Adelaide
  7. North Melbourne
  8. Hawthorn
  9. GWS
  10. St Kilda
  11. Sydney
  12. Richmond
  13. Melbourne
  14. Fremantle
  15. West Coast
  16. Port Adelaide
  17. Geelong
  18. Essendon

Mick's Ranking
  1. Port Adelaide
  2. Melbourne
  3. GWS
  4. Sydney
  5. Fremantle
  6. Brisbane
  7. Geelong
  8. Essendon
  9. Carlton
  10. Gold Coast
  11. Western bulldogs
  12. Collingwood
  13. St Kilda
  14. West Coast
  15. Richmond
  16. Adelaide
  17. North Melbourne
  18. Hawthorn
Readers choice
  1. Carlton
  2. Gold Coast
  3. Western Bulldogs
  4. Collingwood
  5. Brisbane
  6. Adelaide
  7. North Melbourne
  8. Hawthorn
  9. GWS
  10. St Kilda
  11. Sydney
  12. Richmond
  13. Melbourne
  14. Fremantle
  15. West Coast
  16. Port Adelaide
  17. Geelong
  18. Essendon
Herald Sun readers have no fugin idea

How can port be top and freo not in the 5 did anyone watch Saturdays game.
missing our bnf winning ruck.
Freo doubled port for centre clearance.
Top 4 clearance players on the ground:
Serong 8
Jackson 7
Brayshaw 6
Fyfe 5
Add young and Darcy to those 4
looks like a midfield to me

Just because we don’t have an experienced fwd line our mids shouldn’t be discredited.
Freo vs Carlton 44 clearances to 27
Serong 9
Young 6
Fyfe 5
Jackson 5
Brayshaw 4

Last edited:
How can port be top and freo not in the 5 did anyone watch Saturdays game.
missing our bnf winning ruck.
Freo doubled port for centre clearance.
Top 4 clearance players on the ground:
Serong 8
Jackson 7
Brayshaw 6
Fyfe 5
Add young and Darcy to those 4
looks like a midfield to me
Your midfield is ahead of gws at the moment .... we are going half arsed so far this year and wouldn't be top 8

Your midfield is ahead of gws at the moment .... we are going half arsed so far this year and wouldn't be top 8
Harsh!

Briggs and Green are both elite by position for contested possessions. Wrecking balls.

Cogs has been finding plenty of it and has once again been highly prolific with score involvements.

Whitfield is a glorified outside midfielder from the back flank/wing and has been great.

Then you can't really complain about Kelly either.

Depth beyond that maybe not the best? But Callaghan is coming along pretty well.

Perhaps a bit weak defensively is all I'd say.

I haven’t seen many gws games to comment but it seems you agree on sentiment that this is purely a thread about midfields not top 5 on the ladder.
I think giving your team first use has heavy weighting
Obviously i50 metersgained tackles contested possessions are important indicators to.

Harsh!

Briggs and Green are both elite by position for contested possessions. Wrecking balls.

Cogs has been finding plenty of it and has once again been highly prolific with score involvements.

Whitfield is a glorified outside midfielder from the back flank/wing and has been great.

Then you can't really complain about Kelly either.

Depth beyond that maybe not the best? But Callaghan is coming along pretty well.

Perhaps a bit weak defensively is all I'd say.
I get you, Monsieur Meow, but I think the whole team is not really clicking at the moment .... it's a long season, so expect things to improve, but we def aren't a top 5 midfield to date

I get you, Monsieur Meow, but I think the whole team is not really clicking at the moment .... it's a long season, so expect things to improve, but we def aren't a top 5 midfield to date
Yeah I do get that, so far the team isn't adding up to more than the sum of its individual parts/performances.

Red flag wise I'd say the defence has been a bit leaky considering the teams they've played. Midfield running one-way could be a part of that though.

Mick's Ranking
  1. Port Adelaide
  2. Melbourne
  3. GWS
  4. Sydney
  5. Fremantle
  6. Brisbane
  7. Geelong
  8. Essendon
  9. Carlton
  10. Gold Coast
  11. Western bulldogs
  12. Collingwood
  13. St Kilda
  14. West Coast
  15. Richmond
  16. Adelaide
  17. North Melbourne
  18. Hawthorn
Readers choice
  1. Carlton
  2. Gold Coast
  3. Western Bulldogs
  4. Collingwood
  5. Brisbane
  6. Adelaide
  7. North Melbourne
  8. Hawthorn
  9. GWS
  10. St Kilda
  11. Sydney
  12. Richmond
  13. Melbourne
  14. Fremantle
  15. West Coast
  16. Port Adelaide
  17. Geelong
  18. Essendon
16th seems a bit high, no?

The following list does not reflect my personal beliefs and should not be taken seriously, as it simplifies the complexity of the game to a handful of stats on a page. It is important to note that the analysis is flawed due to the limited number of games played so far. This content is intended solely for entertainment purposes.

I analyzed Centre clearances, Stoppage Clearances, Tackles, Goals, I50's, etc. for the top 6 CBA attendees for each team and developed a points system. I also considered their #1 Rucks, Tackles, Hit Outs To Adv, Clearance, Goals, etc. Additionally, I examined the average differential they conceded to other teams compared to their own. The results were as follows...

Port Adelaide - 48.2
Fremantle - 47.2
Brisbane - 47.1
Sydney - 45.4
Gold Coast - 45.3
Essendon - 43.3
St Kilda - 42.8
West Coast - 42.6
Western Bulldogs - 41.8
Adelaide - 39.9
North Melbourne - 39.6
Greater Western Sydney - 39.4
Melbourne - 38
Collingwood - 35.7
Carlton - 35
Hawthorn - 34.3
Geelong - 34
Richmond - 27.8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Note they did points scored, not points differential which looks at defensive actions as well as attacking.

Geelong ranked 15th going the other way.
Where can we find point differential for scores from clearances? This is the juicy one. Both for centre bounce and around the ground stoppages.

Where can we find point differential for scores from clearances? This is the juicy one. Both for centre bounce and around the ground stoppages.
Here is the centre bounce one from a week ago. (I knew of it for obvious reasons). ABC website.

Screenshot_20240419_191042.jpg

The following list does not reflect my personal beliefs and should not be taken seriously, as it simplifies the complexity of the game to a handful of stats on a page. It is important to note that the analysis is flawed due to the limited number of games played so far. This content is intended solely for entertainment purposes.

I analyzed Centre clearances, Stoppage Clearances, Tackles, Goals, I50's, etc. for the top 6 CBA attendees for each team and developed a points system. I also considered their #1 Rucks, Tackles, Hit Outs To Adv, Clearance, Goals, etc. Additionally, I examined the average differential they conceded to other teams compared to their own. The results were as follows...

Port Adelaide - 48.2
Fremantle - 47.2
Brisbane - 47.1
Sydney - 45.4
Gold Coast - 45.3
Essendon - 43.3
St Kilda - 42.8
West Coast - 42.6
Western Bulldogs - 41.8
Adelaide - 39.9
North Melbourne - 39.6
Greater Western Sydney - 39.4
Melbourne - 38
Collingwood - 35.7
Carlton - 35
Hawthorn - 34.3
Geelong - 34
Richmond - 27.8
And freo are missing their number 1 ruck.
Soldo averages over 7 Hitouts more than Jackson per a game.
Swaggys back this week should get a better reading of our midfield.

And freo are missing their number 1 ruck.
Soldo averages over 7 Hitouts more than Jackson per a game.
Swaggys back this week should get a better reading of our midfield.
Freo has the best clearance mids in the comp I reckon.

Port Adelaide's hit the scoreboard more as a balance.

That's fantastic, thanks!

That backs up the eye test for Port's outrageous midfield.

Geelong reverting back to 2022 makes sense too, although they're probably weaker around the ground.
Port and Geelong have had easier games so far too, will even out over more time sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back