Opinion Your top 5 overated players

Remove this Banner Ad

From my own team:
1- C.Petracca: worst kick for goal in the afl over a 3 year period.
2- J.Lever: terrible decision maker. Always does dumb things that costs us goals like pushing his opponent in the back when we have multiple numbers in support. Also the infamous 'I'm spinning around' 50m penalty for holding the ball and refusal to give the ball back in time. In an elimination final. Good job Jake.
3- Brayshaw: Heart and soul player but has never got his body into the elite shape required.

3- Brayshaw: Heart and soul player but has never got his body into the elite shape required.
Is there a reason he isn't a full-time mid for you guys? Has been so good in that role in the past. Would also allow Petracca to get more forward time where he is ridiculously dangerous

Is there a reason he isn't a full-time mid for you guys? Has been so good in that role in the past. Would also allow Petracca to get more forward time where he is ridiculously dangerous
I think because he's behind Petracca, Oliver and Viney as a pure mid. I don't think Petracca is a dangerous forward as he misses far too many goals.

I think because he's behind Petracca, Oliver and Viney as a pure mid. I don't think Petracca is a dangerous forward as he misses far too many goals.
As an opposition supporter I can tell you Petracca worries me significantly when he is forward. Very Dusty-like in the sense that he is impossible to match-up on

As an opposition supporter I can tell you Petracca worries me significantly when he is forward. Very Dusty-like in the sense that he is impossible to match-up on
yeah, that's fair. but he's more likely to kick goals from the midfield than forward anyway. If forward, there's more likely he'll kick 1.3. He is statistically the worst shot at goal over a 3 year period for players that have kicked more than 10 goals.

You do realise Sam Docherty is rated average to below average in most metrics as a midfielder.

Nick Daicos on the other hand moved to the midfield and the AFL Coaches voted him as one of the best in the game. Brownlow backed that up.

You seem to be confused.
Your the confused one.. I was sayin I agree that Doch is an average mid.. and my post literally agreed with you on Daicos..

You know Nick Daicos in his second year, playing 50% of his time midfield has better in practically every midfield than Docherty. Including clearances, contested possessions, goals, goals assists, score involvements, ground ball gets etc.

So who, apart from yourself, talks about Docherty in ‘the same breath as Neale, Petracca and Butters’??!!!

You’re confused…..
I was referring to Daicos.. thought that was fairly clear but perhaps should have put it in bold for the Collingwood fans who are missing a little up top.

My point is that Daicos when playing the unaccountable half back role could not be considered an elite player of the comp… he now plays midfield and joins the conversation as best in comp..

From my own team:
i mean yeah sure if you ignore all the other things he does which makes him have a pretty compelling argument for being the best player in the competition.....

From my own team:
2- J.Lever: terrible decision maker. Always does dumb things that costs us goals like pushing his opponent in the back when we have multiple numbers in support. Also the infamous 'I'm spinning around' 50m penalty for holding the ball and refusal to give the ball back in time. In an elimination final. Good job Jake.

Harsh on Trac. The only thing I find overrated about him is his TikTok channel

In no particular order:

Todd Marshall - Doesn't impact the game enough for his skillset. Seems like the ultimate tease
Kozy Pickett - Great when on. But goes completely missing too often (especially given the quantity of ball Melbourne mids provide)
Aaron Naughton - Elite mark, but useless once the ball hits the deck
Jade Gresham - Was on track to be a star. But too lazy, and cant kick over a jam tin since his achilleas
Adam Saad - Too often sells defenders up the river trying to do too much. Bad can outweigh the good
Overall, his output has been a shade disappointing considering his talent, but Naughton is elite at ground level and defensively, he’s as good as any key forward.

Fair enough knock his kicking and the odd spoiling of a teammate, but he’s a jet at ground level.

Jack Macrae overrated? Seriously? He’s about the most unassuming mid getting around and is a three-time AA. Hardly anyone talks about him.

Bailey Smith, Tim English and maybe Naughton (to an extent) are overrated, but Macrae is an awful nomination.

Last edited:
Jack Macrae overrated? Seriously? He’s about the most unassuming mid getting around and is a three-time AA. Hardly anyone talks about him.

Bailey Smith, Tim English and maybe Naughton (to an extent) are overrated, but Macrae is an awful nomination.

Macrae could walk up to me in a Bulldogs guernsey and then punch me in the face and I still would not recognise him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overall, his output has been a shade disappointing considering his talent, but Naughton is elite at ground level and defensively, he’s as good as any key forward.

Fair enough knock his kicking and the odd spoiling of a teammate, but he’s a jet at ground level.
He still looks like he would be better as a defender than a forward. I get why he moved forward and why he might like it there, but he just seems like a much more natural backman and could have been the best in the comp there

He still looks like he would be better as a defender than a forward. I get why he moved forward and why he might like it there, but he just seems like a much more natural backman and could have been the best in the comp there
I tend to agree, although he has been up forward for a while now. This season could be the key, if it’s another middling type of year from him then I think he has to go back, especially with Croft and Darcy there, plus Naughton would be a 25yo ready to anchor CHB.

Even at stages during a match, he should be swung back. I felt that could’ve been the difference in a few games last year where our defence was under pressure and he wasn’t getting near it up the other end.

Having that type of player who can take contested marks in the back end goes a long way to switching momentum.

Jake Stringer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back