Opinion Your top 5 overated players

Remove this Banner Ad

So what you’re saying is he has no excuse. I agree.
You said he plays kick to kick in the backline - since late 2022 he has pretty much played every game on the wing or in the midfield. Wouldn't surprise me if he has had more minutes up forward then he does in defence in that period

You said he plays kick to kick in the backline - since late 2022 he has pretty much played every game on the wing or in the midfield. Wouldn't surprise me if he has had more minutes up forward then he does in defence in that period
The heat maps in 2023 show a number of games whereby he spent 80% in the defensive half. I only went back to post the bye as well. Apart from 1 or 2 games where he spent about 50% back, the others show otherwise.

The heat maps in 2023 show a number of games whereby he spent 80% in the defensive half. I only went back to post the bye as well. Apart from 1 or 2 games where he spent about 50% back, the others show otherwise.
Defensive half on the wing maybe - he very rarely played inside D50.

No need to respond. I had a number of posts deleted because apparently I shouldn’t be defending a player deemed overrated as these are ‘opinions only’.

I’m sure it only applies to Pie fans.

Enjoy. I’m out.

No need to respond. I had a number of posts deleted because apparently I shouldn’t be defending a player deemed overrated as these are ‘opinions only’.

Enjoy. I’m out.
Me too, better leave this thread alone.

Enjoy. I’m out.
My own posts were deleted for the same reason

You better not defend Docherty. He’s overrated.
I don't get offended by other supporters calling our players overrated - that would be silly. My posts have not been related to our own players being called overrated but general discussions about AA

Sam Docherty. Plays kick to kick in the backline, and struggles to defend or win any contests.
Don’t disagree, average midfielder and plays the easiest role in footy when he plays back.. same with guys like Daniel Rioli, Daniel Rich and Nick Daicos which is why until he became.a genuine midfielder he wasn’t in the conversation for best player in the comp.. has changed that now and is rightfully spoken about in the same breath as Cripps, Neale, Petracca & Butters.

Don’t disagree, average midfielder and plays the easiest role in footy when he plays back.. same with guys like Daniel Rioli, Daniel Rich and Nick Daicos which is why until he became.a genuine midfielder he wasn’t in the conversation for best player in the comp.. has changed that now and is rightfully spoken about in the same breath as Cripps, Neale, Petracca & Butters.
You do realise Sam Docherty is rated average to below average in most metrics as a midfielder.

Nick Daicos on the other hand moved to the midfield and the AFL Coaches voted him as one of the best in the game. Brownlow backed that up.

You seem to be confused.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Docherty. Plays kick to kick in the backline, and struggles to defend or win any contests.
Boy this is a bad take if legit. Doc has literally come back from cancer twice as well as injuries and slots in wherever we need him to. He'll go down as a club legend at least, and I didn't think he was necessarily overrated in the wider comp. He's no superstar but a very good player and the heart of Pharlap, any club would love to have his ilk.

Given Nick Daicos led the Brownlow and Coaches Award for most of the year playing half-back, and the next batch of super draftees are being groomed to play Daicos’ role to have similar impact on games, that is probably a poor assessment by you.

I think generally speaking we are pretty good at 'rating' footballers, with the exception of occasionally 'overrating' footballers from our own team, as we see more of them than supporters of other teams.

Heeney is a good example of someone who has been nominated by a number of posters, but I reckon we've all got a pretty good gauge on where he's at as a footballer. He has the ability to tear games apart, but simply doesn't do it often enough. However, I feel that is the result of his role in the team and position on the ground, where the occasional quiet game is dufficult to avoid.

Harry McKay is another one. He had a great year a couple of seasons ago to win the Coleman, but for whatever reason he's lost confidence in his kicking, but still has a great pair of hands and does some of his best work further up the ground as a contested marking connector.

But regardless, does anyone 'rate' either of these players in the top 50 players in the competition? If people generally did, then yes they'd be overrated. Otherwise, we rate them pretty much where they should be rated.
This is... An unusually balanced post Fadge. Think that's pretty bang on.

I think there's also a difference on how we (footy public) rate players and say, the commentators. Those guys will be banging on about your Cripps' and Heeney's etc like they are the second coming while most of the rest of us are a bit more level than that.

Heeney is a good example of someone who has been nominated by a number of posters, but I reckon we've all got a pretty good gauge on where he's at as a footballer. He has the ability to tear games apart, but simply doesn't do it often enough. However, I feel that is the result of his role in the team and position on the ground, where the occasional quiet game is dufficult to avoid.

That is true but Heeney is still such a frustrating player to watch. I mean he is rarely "bad" but his highs are so high that it is frustrating we only see those highs every three or four games.

You know Nick Daicos in his second year, playing 50% of his time midfield has better in practically every midfield than Docherty. Including clearances, contested possessions, goals, goals assists, score involvements, ground ball gets etc.

So who, apart from yourself, talks about Docherty in ‘the same breath as Neale, Petracca and Butters’??!!!

You’re confused…..

You know you have only measured disposals here. That ‘kick to kick’ is working wonders for Docherty which explains how elite he is in uncontested marks. I’ve educated you on the ‘real’ measures that separate the best from the rest. Thanks for proving my point. Guys like yourself overrate your own players because they get lots of kicks……

You know you have only measured disposals here. That ‘kick to kick’ is working wonders for Docherty which explains how elite he is in uncontested marks. I’ve educated you on the ‘real’ measures that separate the best from the rest. Thanks for proving my point. Guys like yourself overrate your own players because they get lots of kicks……
You claimed that he was a defender and then use stats like contested possessions and goals to provide evidence of him being overrated...?

You claimed that he was a defender and then use stats like contested possessions and goals to provide evidence of him being overrated...?
You need to keep up.
Your mate said he moved into the midfield and is now spoken in the same breath as Neal. Petracca and Butters. I pointed out if that was the case, why are his numbers average.

You need to keep up.
Your mate said he moved into the midfield and is now spoken in the same breath as Neal. Petracca and Butters. I pointed out if that was the case, why are his numbers average.
I said he moved into the midfield (wing) and you argued with it saying no he didn't - so I guess that was where I was confused. Docherty is nothing like Neale, Petracca or Butters who are permanent inside mids. Docherty is primarily a winger who plays a bigger inside mid role when we have injuries.

EDIT: Just reading back the original post and the Carlton poster was talking about Daicos being in the same breath as Neale, Petracca and Butters, not Docherty.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back