How many wins do you expect (hope) from your team in the first 4 games

Remove this Banner Ad

0-4 with percentage around 60
GWS away
Freo home
Carlton neutral, nominally home
Brisbane neutral, gather round

Freo at Docklands is the only one that we might be competitive in for over a half, plus North did beat them in Perth in 2023 also round 2.
And maybe push GWS for a little while just because round one can see teams not finding their feet immediately, but GWS do play round zero so should be more match-ready.

I also feel most comfortable against Pies. Pretty weird. Finn onto Daicos. Etc
Hawthorn dominate Collingwood and have so for years. Hawthorn beat them 14 out of the last 17 times (after the 2011 prelim loss by 3 points) and even the 3 losses have been relatively close (4 points in 2022, 32 points at GWS' home ground in 2020 and 18 points in 2017). So the only outlier was on a ground that Hawthorn never won on (a record of 0-8).

Plenty of reasons to be confident of a win or at least a competitive game.

I know! It’s just that 0 means nothing. Why didn’t they call it R1? It’s the AFL trying to be cute
We need a golden number round between rounds 1 and 2.

I asked for a round between 3 and 4 at the G but I’ve been told that they are scared of running out of pi’s

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Lions have 2 tough home games but the Gabba is a fortress and a couple of on paper easier games away.

Carlton (H)
Dockers (A)
Magpies (H)
Kangaroos (Gather)

Can realistically see us being 4-0 if we hit the ground running.... would be happy with 3-1 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks will be heavy underdogs in all 4 games. The best chance is against Essendon, but they will be out to make a statement and always lift against the Hawks.

Last edited:
Round 0 - Gold Coast (Heritage Bank Stadium)
Round 1 - Carlton (MCG)
Round 2 - Port Adelaide (MCG)
Round 3 - Sydney (MCG)

I hope that Richmond goes at least 2-2. However, our start probably has the biggest range. Neither 4-0 nor 0-4 are out of the question IMO. Gold Coast and Carlton aren’t looking that great right now, so we might sneak in wins before they settle into the season. Port Adelaide and Sydney games are at the MCG, and we’re still pretty competitive here against non-Victorian sides. So I wouldn’t lock in a loss against either of them.

Having said that, we could lose them all too. Who knows. But, I think 2-2.

To deny Tigers the opening game spotlight?

You are way off the mark GE. You need to think more subtle and less obvious.

I did some digging, because I thought this is curious, the AFL have shoehorned in a round before the first round. Turns out the answer is Tom Lynch.

Richmond's gun high performance man Lukey Meehan is well known for his very precise programs timed from months out to get players cherry ripe right on cue. He rang AFL House Footy Operations Department late last year before the fixtures were out to enquire as to when the first round would be, for this very purpose, to get Tom Lynch's program aligned to being available for the first match. He was told emphatically and had it confirmed several times round one would commence at 7.30PM on Thursday 14th March 2024, with the Richmond v Carlton game, and accordingly set Lynch's program.

From there AFL House Geelong puppet Joel Selwood rang smartest man in the room Chris Scott and said I have some interesting news about Richmond if you can work out any way to disadvantage our greatest rival and repeated finals nemesis from it. Scott said leave it with me. He slept on it and called the Geelong supporting fixture guy the next day, and said I have a great fixturing idea you are going to adopt for this year. Don't tell anyone for a while but we need Richmond to play another game before Round 1, but that extra game cannot be part of round one and it cannot be called round 1, can you manage it? The Geelong supporting fixture guy said leave it with me.

That is very obviously how round zero was born GE. :)

You are way off the mark GE. You need to think more subtle and less obvious.

I did some digging, because I thought this is curious, the AFL have shoehorned in a round before the first round. Turns out the answer is Tom Lynch.

Richmond's gun high performance man Lukey Meehan is well known for his very precise programs timed from months out to get players cherry ripe right on cue. He rang AFL House Footy Operations Department late last year before the fixtures were out to enquire as to when the first round would be, for this very purpose, to get Tom Lynch's program aligned to being available for the first match. He was told emphatically and had it confirmed several times round one would commence at 7.30PM on Thursday 14th March 2024, with the Richmond v Carlton game, and accordingly set Lynch's program.

From there AFL House Geelong puppet Joel Selwood rang smartest man in the room Chris Scott and said I have some interesting news about Richmond if you can work out any way to disadvantage our greatest rival and repeated finals nemesis from it. Scott said leave it with me. He slept on it and called the Geelong supporting fixture guy the next day, and said I have a great fixturing idea you are going to adopt for this year. Don't tell anyone for a while but we need Richmond to play another game before Round 1, but that extra game cannot be part of round one and it cannot be called round 1, can you manage it? The Geelong supporting fixture guy said leave it with me.

That is very obviously how round zero was born GE. :)
Noted

Round 0 - Gold Coast (Heritage Bank Stadium)
Round 1 - Carlton (MCG)
Round 2 - Port Adelaide (MCG)
Round 3 - Sydney (MCG)

I hope that Richmond goes at least 2-2. However, our start probably has the biggest range. Neither 4-0 nor 0-4 are out of the question IMO. Gold Coast and Carlton aren’t looking that great right now, so we might sneak in wins before they settle into the season. Port Adelaide and Sydney games are at the MCG, and we’re still pretty competitive here against non-Victorian sides. So I wouldn’t lock in a loss against either of them.

Having said that, we could lose them all too. Who knows. But, I think 2-2.
I would be happy with 2-2.

But the uncertainty in your post shows that most of us Tigers supporters have NFI how our team will go this year.

Let's enjoy the ride!

I would be happy with 2-2.

But the uncertainty in your post shows that most of us Tigers supporters have NFI how our team will go this year.

Let's enjoy the ride!
Exactly! New coach, new gamestyle etc.

Not sure how this will go, but I’m here for the ride! Kinda fun going into a season with no expectation on how it’ll pan out for our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back