Best pre game and game day coaching you have seen

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Thought I would create a thread where we can list some of the most memorable and standout coaching performances during a game… for clarity this includes the whole package from start to finish including pre game tactical planning during the week and game day changes. to get the ball rolling, some of my all time top performances are

1. Clarkson- geelong Vs hawks grand final 2008. Absolutely destroyed and picked apart the cats game plan… had no right to win that one.. stole it entirely with his coaching.

2. Malthouse- geelong Vs collingwood 07 prelim. Another huge underdog that almost pinched it on a Friday night… malthouse years later went on air to explain they came into the game with a strategy of using high rotations through the midfield keeping fresh legs bashing into the A grade geelong mids, as they knew going toe to toe they would loose… and it almost worked in the end.

3. Mark Thompson- essendon vs geelong 2011. Came in with huge insider knowledge of the geelong side he had previously coached, and ended their winning streak that night at Telstra dome… coached an absolute masterpiece that night with a keeping’s off style of game he explained later apparently unsettled that geelong side.. also playing fletcher on Chapman absolutely blanketed him out of the game.

Those are 3 to get started with a huge bias of my own observations predominantly from the great geelong era of performances against us that stood out..

Please list your own and why.

Cheers

Last edited:
The 2013 elimination final as well for Malthouse. I don't know what he did, but it looked like the two sides had swapped jumpers at half time.

Leigh Matthews telling Akermanis via the runner to get in front of Lynch for the crumb and not behind him.

Nek minnut Akermanis crumbs a ball in front of Lynch and kicks the goal that sealed Brisbane's 2002 flag.

A shame Fox don't do that Lips of Lethal style coaches box comments of the GF like they did back then, it's never been done before or since.

I think Lethal only allowed Fox to release his coaches box comments of that GF as it makes him look a coaching genius with the Aker move.

Pagan sending Fevola to FB on Gehrig in 2004 was a master stroke that nobody saw coming.

Fev played on him for the first quarter and Gehrig could only manage 5 goals in that time, whilst the Saints only managed to win by 100 odd points.

Pagan sending Fevola to FB on Gehrig in 2004 was a master stroke that nobody saw coming.

Fev played on him for the first quarter and Gehrig could only manage 5 goals in that time, whilst the Saints only managed to win by 100 odd points.

That was pretty funny, some old school coaching from Pagan to teach Fev a lesson but it hurt Carlton more than Fev who didn't give a s**t.

Thought I would create a thread where we can list some of the most memorable and standout coaching performances during a game… to get the ball rolling, some of my all time top performances are

1. Clarkson- geelong Vs hawks grand final 2008. Absolutely destroyed and picked apart the cats game plan… had no right to win that one.. stole it entirely with his coaching.

2. Malthouse- geelong Vs collingwood 07 prelim. Another huge underdog that almost pinched it on a Friday night… malthouse years later went on air to explain they came into the game with a strategy of using high rotations through the midfield keeping fresh legs bashing into the A grade geelong mids, as they knew going toe to toe they would loose… and it almost worked in the end.

3. Mark Thompson- essendon vs geelong 2011. Came in with huge insider knowledge of the geelong side he had previously coached, and ended their winning streak that night at Telstra dome… coached an absolute masterpiece that night with a keeping’s off style of game he explained later apparently unsettled that geelong side.. also playing fletcher on Chapman absolutely blanketed him out of the game.

Those are 3 to get started with a huge bias of my own observations predominantly from the great geelong era of performances against us that stood out..

Please list your own and why.

Cheers

I'm not sure these are examples of game day coaching, they were all planned during the week, not changes made on the fly in game day.

For a true game day masterstroke related to Geelong, Ross Lyon's move mid match to take Crowley off Stokes and put him onto Stevie J in the 2013 QF was a winning move, though it could be argued he should never have been on Stokes in the first place. After torching us in the first quarter Stevie barely touched it again all match.

The most "famous" one that sticks in my mind (famous based on the occasion) that I actually saw was Sheedy moving Leon Baker into the forward line in the 1984 GF. There's obviously been other famous ones like Barassi's handball everything instructions at half time in the 1970 GF, but I am not old enough to have seen it

I'm not sure these are examples of game day coaching, they were all planned during the week, not changes made on the fly in game day.

For a true game day masterstroke related to Geelong, Ross Lyon's move mid match to take Crowley off Stokes and put him onto Stevie J in the 2013 QF was a winning move, though it could be argued he should never have been on Stokes in the first place. After torching us in the first quarter Stevie barely touched it again all match.

The most "famous" one that sticks in my mind (famous based on the occasion) that I actually saw was Sheedy moving Leon Baker into the forward line in the 1984 GF. There's obviously been other famous ones like Barassi's handball everything instructions at half time in the 1970 GF, but I am not old enough to have seen it
How would you re word it then?? Happy for suggestions to help with title clarity. I am obviously referring to the preparation as well as gameday alterations

How would you re word it then?? Happy for suggestions to help with title clarity. I am obviously referring to the preparation as well as gameday alterations
I just think game day coaching refers to coaches responding to a situation (invariably their team losing) in real time during the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malcom Blight lived and died by the sword as coach but the 1997 granny is worth a mention. Starting Shane Ellen as FF to replace the mercurial Tony Modra could be deemed as a pre-game tactic but having Jarman play out of the goal square in the last to snag 5 straight in a 4th quarter of a Grand Final is up there.

Probably the most obvious and one of the most critical i can recall was 2009 Grand Final.
Most will remember it and most know it basically won Geelong that flag...their best and toughest flag in that era.
Quarter time. Hayes had destroyed Joel Corey and was completely off the chain.
Are you willing to sacrifice your Brownlow Medallist midfielder just to do a tagging job ?
He didnt screw around trying a lesser player....he bit the bullet coz the game was slipping away early.
Bartel onto Hayes and rode him around the ground for the next three quarters. Basically both got cancelled out of having any influence for the rest of the game and it won them that flag. Those two were a perfect matchup for each other.
Two V strong teams closely matched. Great coaching move. Strongest flag i've seen Geelong win.

Essendon v Collingwood 1994. Sheedy moves Hird onto Rocca who had 7 to that point. Essendon go onto win

Collingwood V North Melbourne 1996. Shaw moves Buckley onto Carey who had 3 in the first 3 minutes. Pies go onto win by 10 goals breaking an 8 match losing streak.

Collingwood Adelaide 1997. Shaw moves Brown onto Modra. Pies win by a point with Rowdy taking the game saving marl with 15 seconds to go.

Probably the most obvious and one of the most critical i can recall was 2009 Grand Final.
Most will remember it and most know it basically won Geelong that flag...their best and toughest flag in that era.
Are you willing to sacrifice your Brownlow Medallist midfielder just to do a tagging job ?
He didnt screw around trying a lesser player....he bit the bullet coz the game was slipping away early.
Bartel onto Hayes and rode him around the ground for the next three quarters. Basically both got cancelled out of having any influence for the rest of the game and it won them that flag. Those two were a perfect matchup for each other.
Two V strong teams closely matched. Great coaching move. Strongest flag i've seen Geelong win.

That move helped Geelong to win that GF but not as much as us butchering chances in the first half and Lyon leaving Luke Ball on the bench.

That move helped Geelong to win that GF but not as much as us butchering chances in the first half and Lyon leaving Luke Ball on the bench.
False.

Hayes would've been the most obvious Norm Smith medalist in years if he carried on with his first quarter performance. Instead Bartel cancelled out Hayes and Chappy took over.

Funny story that one :roflv1:
“Lenny was going bananas, I think he had 10 or 11 and had kicked a goal,” Bartel recalled on The Age’s Real Footy podcast.

“I still remember Bomber Thompson coming flying down from the coaches’ box (at quarter-time).

“I had started at half forward – so (during those years) Geelong, they’d either start myself or Gary (Ablett Jnr) at half forward, and then you’d come up the ground as an extra midfielder, and that was my role.

“I got a bit of the ball myself, and then Bomber comes flying down and goes ‘have you got Lenny Hayes?!’

“I go, ‘nah, you’ve got me at half-forward’ and he pretty much goes ‘well, you’ve got him for the rest of the game, don’t let him touch it’.

“And that was the only instruction he gave me for the whole game.

“So that was the tagging move he made.”

John Kennedy moving Bob Keddie to Full Forward in the 1971 Grand Final. Peter Hudson was concussed and didn't quite know what was going on (still managed three goals and a disallowed one to break the record). Keddie kicks four goals in the last quarter after barely having a touch - a 20 point three quarter time deficit is turned into a seven point premiership victory.

Malthouse - Jason Cloke to CHF, 2003 GF.

Really random one, and I don't know exactly what he did, but Clarkson during a game against St.Kilda at the MCG in 2011.

Saints kicked the first 5. Stephen Gilham did his ACL in the first quarter, meaning debutabt Luke Breust was playing a full game instead of managed time.

Clarko came down and coached the rest of the game on the bench. Hawthorn kicked the next 5 and won the game easily by about 6 goals. Something he was saying or doing on the bench made HEAPS of difference.

Sticks in my mind because I was there live and I don't get to a lot of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back