Toast Name the 6 best half back flankers from your club that you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

In chronological order....

Sadly I didn't see Basil McCormack play as way before my time but was a great half back.

1. Francis Bourke - played a bit wing, half back and full back but I am pretty sure he would have played more games at half back than anywhere. Obviously a great player, named in team of the 20th century.

Sadly sticking strictly to half back so back pocket plumber Sheedy misses out, otherwise he strolls this list.

2. Merv Keane - absolute class footballer, mainly played half back and later a bit as ruck-rover. Tough, disciplined and great ball user.

Tony Free was an under-rated player, very good short defender, but I think mainly played back pocket.

3. Joel Bowden - I missed a fair bit of his career but well known to people here, tremendous footballer.

4. Bachar Houli - Became a high class running half back, went well in big games.

5. Jayden Short - Small but very smart ground level player and booming kick. Big ball getter. B & F flag year.

6. Daniel Rioli - Two years into his deployment at half back and fantastic all round footballer who looks the damage off half back. Relentless runner with high speed, good ball handler and very creative ball user.

Really good half backs I have seen from other Melbourne clubs who younger people here may not have seen:

Carlton - Ken Hunter, courageous to his own detriment, great aerialist, wiry frame and was the best half back in the comp for a while there.

Collingwood - Kevin Morris. Steve Morris's old man. Missed Richmond's top 6 but easily the best Collingwood half back I have seen. :) Dual flag player and b & f at Tigers. Fadge

Essendon - Garry Foulds. Classic understated quality half back over 300 games with the Bombers. Taller rangy type, you wouldn't notice him unless you looked for him but he could play. Great ball user and played in 2 flags.

Fitzroy - Kevin Murray. Legendary Lion who won a Brownlow Medal playing half back and captain-coached the club, playing over 300 games. Team of the 20th Century selection says it all.

Footscray - difficult to find. Ross Abbey played a fair bit at half back in the 70's and played for Victoria. Brian Cordy was also a very decent half back.

Geelong - Have to admit they have had a few. Of the ones not yet mentioned, my earliest memories are of Kevin Higgins, who was a pretty solid half back. Bernard Toohey was more than decent in the 80's. But Bruce Nankervis played half back and won 2 x B & F's, represented Victoria numerous times and played 250 games. His brother Ian played back pocket may have been just slightly better but Bruce was a more than worthy candidate for Geelong's best 6 half backs I think.

Hawthorn - Ian Bremnar a very decent half back in 2 flag teams in the 70's. Ray Jencke in the 80's and 90's was a really good player. My favourite though was Bohdan Jaworskij, was a hard to get footy card if you were trying to get the whole set, and it was great listening to Jack Dyer try to say his name in live commentary. 3 seasons at Hawks in the 70's but a bit of a North Adelaide legend.

Melbourne - Struggling here. Plenty will remember Rod Grinter, who was a very good and very tough half back with a knack for maiming opponents. One under-rated half back I liked for the Demons was Peter Giles, who played 150 games but also played plenty of footy for Sandringham.

North Melbourne - Could not go past Gary "Crazy Horse" Cowton. Mainly played half back, was a bit of an early prototype of Noah Balta. When on his game he could really impact, but was renowned also for lapses in decision making. Played in grand Finals in 4 different seasons.

South Melbourne - John Rantall was a gun half back, consummate player in 336 games, 260 of those with South Melbourne. Was captain, won a b & f and played in a flag at North. Victorian rep regular. Fantastic player, great longevity and often overlooked by people. Total ball player.

St Kilda - Bit like the Dees and Dogs, not easy, but Robert Elphinstone was a very good half back in the 80's. Represented Victoria in State of Origin when only the best played.

Last edited:
In chronological order....

Sadly I didn't see Basil McCormack play as way before my time but was a great half back.

1. Francis Bourke - played a bit wing, half back and full back but I am pretty sure he would have played more games at half back than anywhere. Obviously a great player, named in team of the 20th century.

Sadly sticking strictly to half back so back pocket plumber Sheedy misses out, otherwise he strolls this list.

2. Merv Keane - absolute class footballer, mainly played half back and later a bit as ruck-rover. Tough, disciplined and great ball user.

Tony Free was an under-rated player, very good short defender, but I think mainly played back pocket.

3. Joel Bowden - I missed a fair bit of his career but well known to people here, tremendous footballer.

4. Bachar Houli - Became a high class running half back, went well in big games.

5. Jayden Short - Small but very smart ground level player and booming kick. Big ball getter. B & F flag year.

6. Daniel Rioli - Two years into his deployment at half back and fantastic all round footballer who looks the damage off half back. Relentless runner with high speed, good ball handler and very creative ball user.

Really good half backs I have seen from other Melbourne clubs who younger people here may not have seen:

Carlton - Ken Hunter, courageous to his own detriment, great aerialist, wiry frame and was the best half back in the comp for a while there.

Collingwood - Kevin Morris. Steve Morris's old man. Missed Richmond's top 6 but easily the best Collingwood half back I have seen. :) Dual flag player and b & f at Tigers.

Essendon - Garry Foulds. Classic understated quality half back over 300 games with the Bombers. Taller rangy type, you wouldn't notice him unless you looked for him but he could play. Great ball user and played in 2 flags.

Fitzroy - Kevin Murray. Legendary Lion who won a Brownlow Medal playing half back and captain-coached the club, playing over 300 games. Team of the 20th Century selection says it all.

Footscray - difficult to find. Ross Abbey played a fair bit at half back in the 70's and played for Victoria. Brian Cordy was also a very decent half back.

Geelong - Have to admit they have had a few. Of the ones not yet mentioned, my earliest memories are of Kevin Higgins, who was a pretty solid half back. Bernard Toohey was more than decent in the 80's. But Bruce Nankervis played half back and won 2 x B & F's, represented Victoria numerous times and played 250 games. His brother Ian played back pocket may have been just slightly better but Bruce was a more than worthy candidate for Geelong's best 6 half backs I think.

Hawthorn - Ian Bremnar a very decent half back in 2 flag teams in the 70's. Ray Jencke in the 80's and 90's was a really good player. My favourite though was Bohdan Jaworskij, was a hard to get footy card if you were trying to get the whole set, and it was great listening to Jack Dyer try to say his name in live commentary. 3 seasons at Hawks in the 70's but a bit of a North Adelaide legend.

Melbourne - Struggling here. Plenty will remember Rod Grinter, who was a very good and very tough half back with a knack for maiming opponents. One under-rated half back I liked for the Demons was Peter Giles, who played 150 games but also played plenty of footy for Sandringham.

North Melbourne - Could not go past Gary "Crazy Horse" Cowton. Mainly played half back, was a bit of an early prototype of Noah Balta. When on his game he could really impact, but was renowned also for lapses in decision making. Played in grand Finals in 4 different seasons.

South Melbourne - John Rantall was a gun half back, consummate player in 336 games, 260 of those with South Melbourne. Was captain, won a b & f and played in a flag at North. Victorian rep regular. Fantastic player, great longevity and often overlooked by people. Total ball player.

St Kilda - Bit like the Dees and Dogs, not easy, but Robert Elphinstone was a very good half back in the 80's. Represented Victoria in State of Origin when only the best played.
Heard a lot of good things about ken hunter.

No-one has had a crack at the Pies yet...

Nick Daicos
Nathan Buckley
Gavin Brown
Heath Shaw
Scott Burns
James Clement

No tommy alvin or mil hanna?

Both very good, but the only player they replace is Lappin, and he was a gun when moved there from the forward pocket.

too young to remember doull

4 x BNF and 4 x Premiership player, winning a Norm Smith off the HBF in 1981.

In the Carton and AFL Teams of the Century on the HBF.

If I was picking a best 22 of the players I've seen, he's on the HBF without question.

Well not too many to choose from but:

Whitfield
Heater Shaw
Zac Williams
Lachie Ash
Nathan Wilson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? I have never heard of him. Its been a long time since i watched a freo game.

Seeds, you’re not even trying very hard to stir.

Who’s this Danger chap ?, I mean it’s a long time since I’ve watched the Cats play well at Geebung Oval.

I thought Tim Ginenver was an Inside mid?

I would replace him with Roger Delaney instead
Yeah, said the same about Ginever as I can only recall him playing on ball & resting up forward.

Delaney was a full back though.

Nick Daicos
Josh Daicos

For the Swans:
John Rantall
Mark Browning
Dennis Carroll
Nick Malceski
Rhys Shaw
Jarrod McVeigh.
A few of these were my favourite players at the time.

I've probably forgotten somebody important

Remove this Banner Ad

Back