Toast Name the 6 best half back flankers from your club that you have seen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Half back flankers hey?? Literally the position you put the weakest under 9 kids on the field.

when you read old all australian teams there is usually one or two players who you have forgotton and guess which position they are named? You got it ... its half back flank.

its the position you put a mid when he is struggling with taggers. For some mids this is a temporary problem (ala nathan buckley) while for others it was a problem they could never rectify resulting in a permanent change (ala Luke hodge).

now who are best best 6 half back flankers from your team that you have ever seen in order? And you cant put players who didnt at least play most of a season on them. so no, you cant put gary ablett snr, james hird or nicky winmar on there. But guess what hawkers. You can put luke hodge.

here is my list:
1. tom stewart
2. corey enright
3. ken hinkley
4. darren milburn.
5. mick mansfield
6. Leigh colbert.

just missing: brendan sanderson, andrew mackie and p.brown.

Now to me this sounds like an awesome top 6 half back flank list. i would normally be pretty confident this is the best top 6 half back flankers from one club ever!!! However, I can hardly remember any half back flankers from other teams because well .... they played on the half back flank.

so lets dredge up the names of all those forgotton back flankers (and talented mids who couldnt shake a tag) and see which club has the most awesome half back list of all time?

ps. Admission: Seeds was a half back flanker for most of his playing days. So no judgement. Im one of you.

Seems like some variation there with BP, HBF & CHB there?

I’ll go
1. Glenn Archer
2. David King
3. John Blakey
4. Michael Firrito
5. Jess Sinclair

I refuse to name a 6th until I remember anyone else because none of Norths modern day HBF’ers deserve to be there (Atley, McDonald etc)

Leigh Colbert would be 4th I guess? But didn’t really count to me

Half back flankers hey?? Literally the position you put the weakest under 9 kids on the field.

when you read old all australian teams there is usually one or two players who you have forgotton and guess which position they are named? You got it ... its half back flank.

its the position you put a mid when he is struggling with taggers. For some mids this is a temporary problem (ala nathan buckley) while for others it was a problem they could never rectify resulting in a permanent change (ala Luke hodge).

now who are best best 6 half back flankers from your team that you have ever seen in order? And you cant put players who didnt at least play most of a season on them. so no, you cant put gary ablett snr, james hird or nicky winmar on there. But guess what hawkers. You can put luke hodge.

here is my list:
1. tom stewart
2. corey enright
3. ken hinkley
4. darren milburn.
5. mick mansfield
6. Leigh colbert.

Now to me this sounds like an awesome top 6 half back flank list. i would normally be pretty confident this is the best top 6 half back flankers from one club ever!!! However, I can hardly remember any half back flankers from other teams because well .... they played on the half back flank.

so lets dredge up the names of all those forgotton back flankers (and talented mids who couldnt shake a tag) and see which club has the most awesome half back list of all time?

ps. Admission: Seeds was a half back flanker for most of his playing days. So no judgement. Im one of you.
I see your six champion back flankers and raise you:
Scott Chisolm, Heath Black, Paul Duffield, Dale Kickett, Scott Thornton and Luke Ryan.

Off the top of my head...

1 Andrew McLeod
2 Ben Hart
3 Nigel Smart
4 Brodie Smith
5 Rory Laird
6 Graeme Johncock

Apolgies to Mark Ricciuto, Tyson Edwards & Simon Goodwin who played their early years in defence, but the majority in the midfield.

Off the top of my head...

1 Andrew McLeod
2 Ben Hart
3 Nigel Smart
4 Brodie Smith
5 Rory Laird
6 Graeme Johncock

Apolgies to Mark Ricciuto, Tyson Edwards & Simon Goodwin who played their early years in defence, but the majority in the midfield.
That's actually a really good 6. Although I thought Goodwin played a large chunk of career in the backline

1 Gavin Wanganeen
2 George Fiachi
3 Michael Wilson
4 Geoff Motley
5 Bruce Abernathy
6 Tim Ginever

I’ll go
1. Glenn Archer
2. David King
3. John Blakey
4. Michael Firrito
5. Jess Sinclair

I refuse to name a 6th until I remember anyone else because none of Norths modern day HBF’ers deserve to be there (Atley, McDonald etc)

Wayne Schwass.

Gun player. Struggled with tag. Welcome to the half back flank.

Langford?? Pretty sure he was a full back. Mew a centre half back. S.burgoyne was a back flanker though. Another talented mid who couldn't shake a tag who found his niche down on the flank :)

He played up the ground as did Ayers, another I missed, you can add Birchall as well.

here is my list:
1. tom stewart
2. corey enright
3. ken hinkley
4. darren milburn.
5. mick mansfield
6. Leigh colbert.

We have been very, very blessed with half back flankers over a long period of time. Literally as long as I've followed Geelong we've had quality half backs.
  1. Corey Enright
  2. Ken Hinkley
  3. Darren Milburn
  4. Mark Bos
  5. Tom Stewart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll go
1. Glenn Archer
2. David King
3. John Blakey
4. Michael Firrito
5. Jess Sinclair

Pickett maybe slightly ahead of Sinclair..

For impact in a short period, I'd have to have David Wojcinski in that 6 of ours. Bloke was lightning and completely changed a game when he was 'on.' True half back for mine.

From when I've been around:
Wanganeen (though could argue he was a back pocket)
Hardwick
Wellman (though could argue he was a CHB)
Redman
Ridley
Solomon
Bomber Thompson & David Grenvold handy premiership players too...

That I've personally seen?

1) Bruce Doull (so Carlton wins the thread)
2) Andrew McKay
3) Ang Christou
4) Kade Simpson
5) Sam Docherty
6) Matty Lappin

In my years of following footy;
Hurn
Wirrpanda
Sheppard
Schofield
Waters
Butler

Special mention to one magical year of Wellingham in 2015.
I'm sure I'm missing some beauties from the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back