Movie Tenet (dir. Christopher Nolan)

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved the movie but the pacing in the first half felt rushed with a lot of scene jumping.

Also did anyone else find that the sound levels made the background stand out way more than the actors talking? I had a hard time hearing what they were saying for a lot of the movie.

I loved the movie but the pacing in the first half felt rushed with a lot of scene jumping.

Also did anyone else find that the sound levels made the background stand out way more than the actors talking? I had a hard time hearing what they were saying for a lot of the movie.
I agree, it moved at a pretty frenetic pace to begin with.

I really enjoyed it, liked the concepts and the action, don't think it was as complex as some say (although the action could be a bit messy to follow at times). Really enjoyed the way it came together at the end. I'd rate it below Inception, which had more heart to it (ironic, because people often complain Nolan films don't capture emotion well, but I think Inception has been harshly judged on that front). A Nolan film at the cinema is always an experience. 8/10

I definitely felt a little bit more exposition at the start would have helped immensely but I spose they didn’t want to reveal their hand too early?

I get that a lot with most movies these days! Really pisses me off, no matter how I adjust the audio, the music is always obnoxiously louder than the voices. I put subtitles on. But if I watch older movies, say pre 2010, no problems with audio.

Yep, saw it today at Belmont Forum, Reading cinema. On first screening I didn't like it at all, I need to watch it at home with sub-titles so I could figure out what the hell was going on.

Like MI:2 and Ocean's 12, trying to be too clever and overdoing it. I actually dozed off for 5 minutes not long before the end, it was frustrating, I just wanted it to finish, hoping the ending might clarify some things. Nope.

If you close your eyes and listen to John David Washington, it's Denzel Washington.

Haha, I just googled him, I didn't realise he is Denzel's son.

Last edited:
Just saw it. Will need to see it again because I missed a lot. Couldn’t hear half of what they were saying. Didn’t feel any connection to the characters. Felt like there was no introduction to a storyline, just here you go.

Love the Prestige, love Inception, Interstellar was good, but this...I’m not sure.

I like the genre and Nolan's previous movies but I thought this was poor. The plot is stupid conceptually and presented in a very confusing manner. I couldn't make out quite a lot of the dialog. I didn't care about any of the characters. Compare this to Interstellar, Memento and Inception - which are complex but are character based.

It's like Nolan is too concerned with proving how great he is at his craft. The one take of Dunkirk was technically brilliant but didn't add anything to an otherwise good movie. Here we have amazing shots mixing forwards and reversed action but it just makes it all more confused as to what is going on.

I had enough of it after a couple of hours and switched it off. Finished the last half hour later rolling my eyes.

3/10.

Finally saw this last week, first time at the cinemas since February. Didn't expect to understand it at first watch (it took me a couple of explainer type articles for Interstellar but I heard this one was much more complex/confusing).

Whilst I did enjoy the experience, can't help but feel Nolan was trying to go too big and too bold. Ludwig Gorannson is sensational, what a track record he's already achieved and he's only 36 years old. The score was great, I particularly enjoyed the jumbo jet sequence.

Even after reading a few "what happened in Tenet" articles, I was still left confused trying to piece it together. But it is what it is.

What I will say that annoyed me a couple of times, is a few exposition conversations where I couldn't make out what they were saying. Not because I'm not that sharp (well maybe so haha), but because I literally couldn't hear it properly. Michael Caine's cameo at the restaurant, he was talking with his mouth full of food. I couldn't clearly make out the dialogue. Later on, the sound mixing/volume was so loud that it made some other conversations inaudible for me. Obviously will watch it again down the track with subtitles, but this I felt was largely avoidable and unnecessarily distracted me from a plotline that was difficult enough to follow accurately.

I must have been the only one that enjoyed the muffled dialogue. Just added an extra layer to the franticness and a bit of reality when wearing a mask.

Watched it at the cinemas a couple of week ago and I'll have a crack soon at home w/subtitles.

But it didn't do a whole lot for me, even though I think the Washington/Pattinson/Debicki trio is ******* dynamite. Def agreed that it was trying to do too much. And I found Branagh a pretty bland villain even though I think I understood his motivation just not any of the logic behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit messy at times and a slight bit of exposition would have helped a little bit earlier, but once I wrapped my head around it, it was a lot a fun.

Reckon it's great that Nolan takes risks rather than writing generic recycled s**t that does the rounds these days.

I fu**en loved this.

As if Neil isn't Max.

+ 2

I found this predictable until it got to the end, then I feel like Nolan just put together a convoluted ending to try and make us think he's some kind of genius. It was OK, the action was good in parts. Overall, a bit style over substance for me. The set-pieces made the film more interesting than the plot.

This just registered with me, I honestly had no idea or had even speculated about that before reading this.

Mind blown!
General internet consensus seems to be no though.

General internet consensus seems to be no though.

Have just googled it now, many articles about it either way. Very interesting. I want it to be true though, it makes a lot of sense (in a movie that didn’t make much sense to me haha). I wonder if at some stage Nolan will comment on it.

Have just googled it now, many articles about it either way. Very interesting. I want it to be true though, it makes a lot of sense (in a movie that didn’t make much sense to me haha). I wonder if at some stage Nolan will comment on it.
The only thing is Neil says he met with him before. I kept thinking he was the older guy who showed him the gesture.

The only thing is Neil says he met with him before. I kept thinking he was the older guy who showed him the gesture.

This was literally me during the entire movie.

qoO1Gb3tlyYY99fVr7oVq6c25ZI=.gif

This was literally me during the entire movie.

qoO1Gb3tlyYY99fVr7oVq6c25ZI=.gif
Haha I had to do lots of reading on it afterwards. Then I went again and I still found it hard to follow. It makes sense in my head but there’s still some parts I don’t get.

They are able to go in reverse but they technically can’t affect anything because it’s already happened so I don’t actually know how they can’t actually alter anything?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back