Preview Changes Dogs V Lions at Mars 10.4.21 - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Chances to be able to get a general admission ticket up in Ballarat?

Or would I definitely need to buy a Ballarat Membership which is effectively $38 per game

the place has never been close to full and it’s supposed to rain. Tipping plenty of room will be available

That’s the issue in here, people are starting to think because we are winning the backline issues are solved. They aren’t in my opinion.

One on one and in transition our backline isn’t even close to elite.

Lets see how they develop through the year but I’m far from sold on them after I watched the Eagles run them in circles after a far shorter break between games than ours

The ability for the backline to get the job done largely depends on the pressure from players up field. Yes we are little deficient in the air and for size but once ball hits the ground we are fine. WCE are the 1 side for marking options but our superior midfield won the day. A midfield as good as ours is going to take us a long way quite possibly to a flag this season. I think if we dispose of the lions we be just about flag favourites.

The ability for the backline to get the job done largely depends on the pressure from players up field. Yes we are little deficient in the air and for size but once ball hits the ground we are fine. WCE are the 1 side for marking options but our superior midfield won the day. A midfield as good as ours is going to take us a long way quite possibly to a flag this season. I think if we dispose of the lions we be just about flag favourites.

The way we play opens the backline up to one on ones which is the issue and always will be with Bont, McRae, Dunks and Libba in a midfield that gets torched on transition from our own 50. The Eagles moved the ball out time and time again untouched, with ease.

We are yet to play a pressure team and I personally think the back 6 we will have against Brisbane will fall apart under the pressure of a Richmond, Port and co with their manic pressure. One on one I’m not backing Scott, Young, Dale, Or Jj and Wood, Keith and Daniel aren’t elite at it either.

as I’ve said let’s see how it goes but I’m very keen to see how they go against a good tackling pressure team and I know there aren’t many but they are the one we will need to beat

Last edited:

The way we play opens the backline up to one on ones which is the issue and always will be with Bont, McRae, Dunks and Libba in a midfield that gets torched on transition from our own 50. The Eagles moved the ball out time and time again untouched, with ease.

We are yet to play a pressure team and I personally think the back 6 we will have against Brisbane will fall apart under the pressure of a Richmond, Port and co with their manic pressure. One on one I’m not backing Scott, Young, Dale, Or Jj and Wood, Keith and Daniel aren’t elite at it either.

as I’ve said let’s see how it goes but I’m very keen to see how they go against a good tackling pressure team and I know there aren’t many but they are the one we will need to beat

Pretty sure Eagles fans would disagree that they are not a good tackling team. Did you watch them against Port?

I would concede if we have a deficiency, it is in the back half.
Richmond are the benchmark but their core group includes Broad, Bolta, Ashbury, McIntosh, Caddy - far from elite but play a role for the greater good of the team.

I just feel that we are all looking for a flawless team with no holes down to player 23 but the reality is, it’s probably not possible.

Would you compare Richmond on paper to Hawthorn, Brisbane or Geelong from the last 20 years. Personally I would not rate them close to any of them but they have each won 3 flags within 5 - 6 years.

It’s a lot about the opposition at the time, the game plan and injuries and whilst very early days, the signs are positive for us to make an assault this year.

I would concede if we have a deficiency, it is in the back half.
Richmond are the benchmark but their core group includes Broad, Bolta, Ashbury, McIntosh, Caddy - far from elite but play a role for the greater good of the team.

I just feel that we are all looking for a flawless team with no holes down to player 23 but the reality is, it’s probably not possible.

Would you compare Richmond on paper to Hawthorn, Brisbane or Geelong from the last 20 years. Personally I would not rate them close to any of them but they have each won 3 flags within 5 - 6 years.

It’s a lot about the opposition at the time, the game plan and injuries and whilst very early days, the signs are positive for us to make an assault this year.

Richmonds backline man for man destroys us mate.

Let’s see how the year goes but the back 6 that played so far isn’t winning us a flag imo

Only really a few choices:

Young for Gardner is a like for like.I prefer this - it is really important that we have someone ready to step up as a KPD - we are wafer thin. We are covered in the forwards. Give Young the exposure and time to get settled.

Schache in and Naughty back - don’t think Bevo would want to touch the great connection between Bruce and Naughty but would also like to be able to swing Naughty back if somebody gets off the chain. And as JUH comes through we can use this swingman like Harry Taylor to great effect.

Play Cordy - a club favourite will give us anything but not playing when Wood and Crozier were out indicates where he is in the pecking order.

Scott has been OK but not great. While I prefer Wally, West and Jong - I think we have to reward Cavarra- I didn’t watch VFL so don’t know if he created the goals or was on the end of good work but this is a message for all.

Only really a few choices:

Young for Gardner is a like for like.I prefer this - it is really important that we have someone ready to step up as a KPD - we are wafer thin. We are covered in the forwards. Give Young the exposure and time to get settled.

Schache in and Naughty back - don’t think Bevo would want to touch the great connection between Bruce and Naughty but would also like to be able to swing Naughty back if somebody gets off the chain. And as JUH comes through we can use this swingman like Harry Taylor to great effect.

Play Cordy - a club favourite will give us anything but not playing when Wood and Crozier were out indicates where he is in the pecking order.

Scott has been OK but not great. While I prefer Wally, West and Jong - I think we have to reward Cavarra- I didn’t watch VFL so don’t know if he created the goals or was on the end of good work but this is a message for all.
My question on Cavarra would be how much weight do we attach to a 4 goal scratch match performance against the Norf seconds when we've seen how bad their firsts are. Not sure it's enough yet.

Same for Jongy I guess but have a look at the video of his goals. 3 goals, all on the run, 2 from outside 50 and 1 from 48o_O. Who knew??

Where did Scott play, may have had a few too many before the game started and that only continued as game went on 🤪 but can’t say I noticed anything he did other than the goal.

Lip has to play, notice Bruce said the one player he wants kicking to him is not Bont, not Macrae, not Daniel etc, He said Lippy was the one bloke you want delivering it to you as a forward. It’s a real point of difference he has on the rest of our side. Play him.

I’d play Cav too see what he’s got, and Young for Gardner. Scott to sub.

My question on Cavarra would be how much weight do we attach to a 4 goal scratch match performance against the Norf seconds when we've seen how bad their firsts are. Not sure it's enough yet.

Same for Jongy I guess but have a look at the video of his goals. 3 goals, all on the run, 2 from outside 50 and 1 from 48o_O. Who knew??
Can only play who you’ve got in front of you, it’s not like all our AFL players go back and kick 8 every week at the lower level it’s not really how it works. The gap between the two senior teams is obviously much bigger than between the two reserves teams so you could make an argument that as a small forward, it should have been an easier day out for McNeil than Cav.

Obviously he doesn’t get a game just on kicking 4 alone and you’d have to make a decision on the rest of his impact on the game. But Cav is our best performed twos player bar none across last years trial games and this years praccies. He deserves it.

Can only play who you’ve got in front of you, it’s not like all our AFL players go back and kick 8 every week at the lower level it’s not really how it works. The gap between the two senior teams is obviously much bigger than between the two reserves teams so you could make an argument that as a small forward, it should have been an easier day out for McNeil than Cav.

Obviously he doesn’t get a game just on kicking 4 alone and you’d have to make a decision on the rest of his impact on the game. But Cav is our best performed twos player bar none across last years trial games and this years praccies. He deserves it.
Does he deserve it though. You've still got to offer more than the guy you're displacing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but he kicked 4 against the Essendon seconds the week before ... oh wait.

You are a very hard task master.
Keith, Williams, Crozier, Daniel are close to elite defenders.
Wood, Duryea experienced, accountable foot soldiers who do a job week in week out.
Dale - was not remotely convinced but the coach got me again. So far working.
Question is only on our second KPD. Did not rate Gardner but has been very solid in 2games this year. Young, Cordy or Schache to step up.

Think we are ok down back with Scott, JJ, Butler, Khamis as options as well.
I Schache playing in the backline at all in the VFL? What makes people think Bevo wants him in the backline? Is he getting game time there? Not seen any VFL. Just asking.

Serious bombs from Jong! Super impressive. When you’re kicking 3 goals like that, doesn’t matter who the opposition is, was classy. Hope he gets a run in the 1s soon, he adds a lot of different elements that will help us.

As we are light on for KPD may see Schache lining up as a KPD in the VFL if Lewy goes up as is expected. Schache reads the play pretty well could be an intercept marking defender.
Question mark would be does he have the physicality to be a defender?
It’s worth a try

No he wasn’t.
dogwatch and I were simply pointing out that Bevo does give up on players. Never suggested they were best 22.

For what it’s worth I reckon Cordy is in our best 22. Hope Bevo hasn’t given up on him.
Not picking players who are not up to it based on form is not giving up on them. You do realise not every player on our list can play seniors each week.

Regardless of results so far this year I have little faith this backline can take us deep in finals.
Our midfield should/will get us there and out forwards are good enough when they click. Backline man for man is ordinary and gets ripped apart on transition still. Very interested to see how they develop but I’m far from sold on them yet and think in its current form will let us down when it matters

adding another bloke that can’t win one on ones is not a solution
Doing the same thing is not either

Can’t believe we still have Naughty back talk, surely we’re all past that... we’ve finally got a very dangerous key forward trio that is only improving every week and would be starting to worry teams about how they’re going to deal with them. Let’s not fu** it

Such a good opportunity for Young now, I’ve really got a good feeling about it I think this could be the making of him. Like I’ve said previously last time he played AFL he was respectable and that was in a crap backline as the number 1 defender. Much much more settled, experience defence now and he’s got Keath along side him, he’ll be fine. Let’s give him a few weeks before we rip into him.

Sucks for Gardner as he was building nicely but I don’t think we’re going to get any less from Young or Cordy really so it’s not a massive dea for the team at this stage IMO. Hopefully he gets back ASAP and can continue to improve.
Dont worry Bevo selects the side not BF or David King

Naughton will stay forward

That’s the issue in here, people are starting to think because we are winning the backline issues are solved. They aren’t in my opinion.

One on one and in transition our backline isn’t even close to elite.

Lets see how they develop through the year but I’m far from sold on them after I watched the Eagles run them in circles after a far shorter break between games than ours
No one is thinking their solved

Every team has their issues and I believe we are more than capable of covering ours

Where exactly was Ports manic pressure last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back