Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sun Apr 11 @ MCG 3:20 pm - Rd 4, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a mystery, but the club is hellbent on giving him absolutely every chance possible of making it. There'd be plenty others scratching their head wishing they received such treatment over the years, but it is what it is. Hopefully he proves us wrong and turns into a solid player.

So they're going to do what they did with his brother then?

Quoting what I posted at 10:04am on Tuesday

Holmes is one I'm thinking may be a 75/25 to play against Melbourne, and it's not so much that he'd be omitted & sent straight back to the VFL but more about how he pulls up after the match, and if he & the coaches/medical/fitness staff feel he can back it up in 6 days time or needs to be managed after yesterday's effort

He's admitted to cramping up early in the last quarter yesterday and I feel like he spent a good portion of time on the bench in the last

Hoping he pulls up & recovers ok as I'd like to see him given more games, there was promising signs there yesterday but also don't want to run the kid into the ground too early

Bringing Zuthrie in and then omitting Holmes is just classic Geelong - not that we're blessed with options in any case. Agree that Holmes looked stuffed by the end, and was cramping up something fierce. Hopefully he's the sub this week instead

The Zuthrieometer is fairly ugly reading.

When Zuthrie is listed as an "in" on selection night:

Rd 15 2017 - Draw
Rd 20 2017 - Loss
Qualifying Final - Loss
Rd 1 2018 - Win
Rd 6 2018 - Loss
Rd 13 2018 - Loss
Rd 7 2019 - Win
Rd 1 2020 - Loss
Rd 10 2020 - Win
Rd 16 2020 - Win
Rd 1 2021 - Loss

Overall 36% winning ratio.

Geelong's overall winning ratio between 2017 to current is 64%.

I still could of thought 5 players in front.of him.... but his another defender. So we need that
If you think about it you can see the logic. Henry rolls forward again so we need a defender. Which means Holmes isn't being pushed out by Zuthrie, he's being pushed out by Menegola

Rd 15 2017 - Draw
Rd 20 2017 - Loss
Qualifying Final - Loss
Rd 1 2018 - Win
Rd 6 2018 - Loss
Rd 13 2018 - Loss
Rd 7 2019 - Win
Rd 1 2020 - Loss
Rd 10 2020 - Win
Rd 16 2020 - Win
Rd 1 2021 - Loss

Someone point that out to the MC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rd 15 2017 - Draw
Rd 20 2017 - Loss
Qualifying Final - Loss
Rd 1 2018 - Win
Rd 6 2018 - Loss
Rd 13 2018 - Loss
Rd 7 2019 - Win
Rd 1 2020 - Loss
Rd 10 2020 - Win
Rd 16 2020 - Win
Rd 1 2021 - Loss

Probably indicates that when we bring him in we have a fair old injury list

Rd 15 2017 - Draw
Rd 20 2017 - Loss
Qualifying Final - Loss
Rd 1 2018 - Win
Rd 6 2018 - Loss
Rd 13 2018 - Loss
Rd 7 2019 - Win
Rd 1 2020 - Loss
Rd 10 2020 - Win
Rd 16 2020 - Win
Rd 1 2021 - Loss

Probably not too surprising given he tends to play when we have a number of forced outs. I imagine it’s fairly similar for other fringe players.

Everyone else played VFL didnt they? Has to be Holmes SUB.
Seems Narkle only played half of today's match - so maybe a smokey for the sub vest

Bringing Zuthrie in and then omitting Holmes is just classic Geelong - not that we're blessed with options in any case. Agree that Holmes looked stuffed by the end, and was cramping up something fierce. Hopefully he's the sub this week instead

Problem is that if we say "managed" for Holmes, I don't think we can keep him on as an emergency or make him the sub

Not sure he's omitted omitted as with Constable who went back to the VFL but more managed omitted

Zuthries in is definitely interesting considering last week CS said we had too many defenders in our team
Yet we take out 3 mids and bring in 1 mid, 1 forward and 1 backman

Nothing is surer that Henry starts forward

What id Like to see though and a lot will find this strange is play Zuthrie as a defensive forward in Lever

We dropped Holmes and brought in Zuthrie?

fu** this club lmfao
Holmes barely ran out the game. It was a change I was expecting on the train home. To me showed glimpses but not ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back