Recommitted Darcy Fogarty [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent field and goal kicking. All of Adelaide‘s forwards suffer from horrible delivery and Darcy’s limited, disjointed run of games hasn’t helped. He doesn’t know how his midfield will deliver the ball as he rarely gets a good run infront of them. He doesn’t know how to work with the other forwards as he rarely gets a good run with them. If a side can lock in relatively stable team for a run of six games with him he should show a bit. Never had a reasonable chance at Adelaide as yet.

The rest of his game is non existent

3 kicks 3 hand balls 3 goals 0 tackles in over 80% game time

The summary of Fogs career at the moment, good goalkicker, but it's all he has. The footballers equivalent of being built on sand.

Goals will buy him time to work it out, but he's certainly one draft, or trade period away from being in serious strife on our list. After all, Thilthorpe has certainly put forward a very compelling case that he's the key forward to build around in a post Tex world. Can Fog work it out? I think that's a hard maybe at this point but he's going to have to start making strides towards it by seasons end.

The summary of Fogs career at the moment, good goalkicker, but it's all he has. The footballers equivalent of being built on sand.

Goals will buy him time to work it out, but he's certainly one draft, or trade period away from being in serious strife on our list. After all, Thilthorpe has certainly put forward a very compelling case that he's the key forward to build around in a post Tex world. Can Fog work it out? I think that's a hard maybe at this point but he's going to have to start making strides towards it by seasons end.
Would have been great 20 years ago but in todays game teams wont carry 1 dimensional players that don't work both ways for too long
he is lucky he is at the crows who are rebuilding but in 2 years they will move on from him if he doesn't evolve

I like him but he doesn't get much of the ball.

Mark and Shoot sort of player could improve around the ground the more he plays & builds a tank at AFL level.

Would have been great 20 years ago but in todays game teams wont carry 1 dimensional players that don't work both ways for too long
he is lucky he is at the crows who are rebuilding but in 2 years they will move on from him if he doesn't evolve

Quite possible, and there is also a pathway for a type like Fog to be carried as a 1-dimensional player. It does, however, involve kicking a mountain of goals. Someone averaging 60-70 goals a season will survive a long time, no matter what flaws they have. 30-50 not so.

It's hard to say how long Fog has to work it out, and I wouldn't say there is a hard and fast "in 2 years we'll move on" rule. After all, it depends on what is below Fog. At the moment, we don't have anything genuine key forward prospects left, seeing Himmelberg has regressed and Frampton has capped out as an in between player. Depending on how we approach the trade and draft period(s), Fog could be in trouble as soon as round 1 next year (effectively, the moment he's up against Lachie Gollant, I reckon Fog is finished, seeing we seemingly love that kid going by our PR), or he could hang on for a few years.

Quite possible, and there is also a pathway for a type like Fog to be carried as a 1-dimensional player. It does, however, involve kicking a mountain of goals. Someone averaging 60-70 goals a season will survive a long time, no matter what flaws they have. 30-50 not so.

It's hard to say how long Fog has to work it out, and I wouldn't say there is a hard and fast "in 2 years we'll move on" rule. After all, it depends on what is below Fog. At the moment, we don't have anything genuine key forward prospects left, seeing Himmelberg has regressed and Frampton has capped out as an in between player. Depending on how we approach the trade and draft period(s), Fog could be in trouble as soon as round 1 next year (effectively, the moment he's up against Lachie Gollant, I reckon Fog is finished, seeing we seemingly love that kid going by our PR), or he could hang on for a few years.
You must forget he’s only 21. He’s tracking very similar to Hawkins. Both had a lot of puppy fat. This year was his first season with the modified training regime. He is no longer doing the basic program but emphasing more with CrossFit methods. Give him another season he will only get better, given the improvements he has made in the last 9 months.

You must forget he’s only 21. He’s tracking very similar to Hawkins. Both had a lot of puppy fat. This year was his first season with the modified training regime. He is no longer doing the basic program but emphasing more with CrossFit methods. Give him another season he will only get better, given the improvements he has made in the last 9 months.

Fogarty is nowhere near Hawkins at an comparable age, or time served.

By season two, Hawkins played 10 games Geelong and was going at a line of 11.9 disposals/1.3 goals/5.1 marks/1.5 tackles. Season four Fogarty is going at 8.6 disposals/1.6 goals/2.6 marks/1.1 tackles. That's even before you factor Hawkins broke into a reigning premier whereas Fog hasn't even been able to hold his spot in a bottom four side. The only thing those two have in common is they both play football in the forward line.

If you wanted a comparison with an successful footballer (though, honestly, I'm struggling to find key forwards who failed with Fogs progression either when given gametime in 3-4 seasons) to Fog in terms of career progression, Jay Schulz is probably a good shout. It took him about 8 seasons to truly establish himself as a key forward, though he did have some spurts beforehand. 6 seasons before he was able to average over 10 disposals.

Actually reflecting on that - Jay Schulz might just be the single best comparison there is for Fog.

Last edited:

By season two, Hawkins played 10 games Geelong and was going at a line of 11.9 disposals/1.3 goals/5.1 marks/1.5 tackles. Season four Fogarty is going at 8.6 disposals/1.6 goals/2.6 marks/1.1 tackles. That's even before you factor Hawkins broke into a reigning premier whereas Fog hasn't even been able to hold his spot in a bottom four side. The only thing those two have in common is they both play football in the forward line.

If you wanted a comparison with an successful footballer (though, honestly, I'm struggling to find key forwards who failed with Fogs progression either when given gametime in 3-4 seasons) to Fog in terms of career progression, Jay Schulz is probably a good shout. It took him about 8 seasons to truly establish himself as a key forward, though he did have some spurts beforehand. 6 seasons before he was able to average over 10 disposals.

Actually reflecting on that - Jay Schulz might just be the single best comparison there is for Fog.
There is a player that comes to mind that played for 3 years at Richmond back in the mid-late 90's. not only performances but the type of player
Stephen Jurica

There is a player that comes to mind that played for 3 years at Richmond back in the mid-late 90's. not only performances but the type of player
Stephen Jurica

Potentially but I do think someone like Jurica misses a part of the comparision to Fog. He's been a survivor at this point, instead of quickly chewed out. 4 seasons, hasn't established a spot. Kind of struggled if anything and yet still remains rated. Especially if you were looking for a key forward who made it, you're really looking for a lead up forward who is a bit of a dead eye and took at least 5 seasons to truly establish themselves as a capable best 22 member. I'm going to guess the options are pretty slim by this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potentially but I do think someone like Jurica misses a part of the comparision to Fog. He's been a survivor at this point, instead of quickly chewed out. 4 seasons, hasn't established a spot. Kind of struggled if anything and yet still remains rated. Especially if you were looking for a key forward who made it, you're really looking for a lead up forward who is a bit of a dead eye and took at least 5 seasons to truly establish themselves as a capable best 22 member. I'm going to guess the options are pretty slim by this point.

Agree but is that because of what he has been able to do at the lower level or more because of where the club drafted him and the investment they have made
clubs usually give 1st round picks more chances to develop than say a 3rd rounder because of both the investment as well as supporter backlash #12
KPP usually get 4-5 years maybe 6 but if they are not starting 22 by the 6th year they are usually traded or delisted.
He has another 2 years imo but will need to get on his bike as he appears to be a low production type player and 1 position

KPP players drafted in his year that come to mind
Oscar Allen , Noah Balta , Aaron Naughton , Jarred Brander , Sam Taylor , Coleman-Jones , Tom McCartin , Tom DeKoning all drafted after Fogarty with only Coleman -Jones currently on less games but he is a Ruckman/Fwd that was suspended and had issue's
Fogarty was considered the most ready to play at the time

Dan Menzel kicked way more goals and still got cut.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawkins has him when you compare at the same age.

But not by as much as you say. Fog SLIGHTLY higher for kicks and goals, Hawkins went for four more handballs and two more marks a game.

I think we'll wait to see what he's like after 18 months with Burgess. I'd expect a two-year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back