Moved Thread Time to stamp out the use of 'interstate sides'

Remove this Banner Ad

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL is a national competition, but there is growing discontent among fans outside of Victoria who believe the AFL is still being run and commentated as a primarily Victorian-centric competition.
This is not going to change overnight, we still have a lot of teams in Victoria so naturally a lot of the media and spotlight is going to be focused there.
But it starts with the little things, and one of those things that I think should be stamped out of acceptance is referring to clubs outside of Victoria as 'interstate' sides.

People need to start calling it out, and this falls on those guys who have played in these clubs who have managed to snag a job in the Victorian dominated media. Kane Cornes, Jono Brown, Matthew Pavlich, Wayne Carey etc...

It marginalises these clubs and plays in to a subconscious bias present right across the industry that it is Vic first and foremost, and the other clubs are an after-thought.

There's gonna be people that laugh at this and ignore it, and some of you will say there are bigger things to worry about than a simple label. I don't even find it offensive to my club in particular. What I do believe, is that it's offensive to the competition as a whole, and with the hopefully imminent introduction of a team in Tasmania, it's time that we start to stamp this term out of colloquialism.

A competition with an even foundation is a stronger competition.

Agree. It sounds nit-picky, but if you want ot refer to non-Victorian sides then that's what they are: non-Victorian.

There is a place for categorising teams as such, after all more than half of the teams are from Victoria, but I agree the phrase 'interstate sides' is pretty anachronistic and should be retired.

I cannot stand people who have the time or energy to find new reasons to complain about something harmless not being politically correct enough. The competition's heart and soul is from Melbourne. That is a fact. Melbourne is the capital of the game. The HQ is and always will be in Melbourne. The MCG is football's mecca. A term like "interstate teams" is perfectly valid in many contexts.

Geez I get tired of writing this..but I’ll say it again

This elite Australian Rules Football competition is a VFL league with invited guest clubs joining who are privileged to be accepted.

Since 1897

So stop crying and get over it you bunch of babies

I cannot stand people who have the time or energy to find new reasons to complain about something harmless not being politically correct enough. The competition's heart and soul is from Melbourne. That is a fact. Melbourne is the capital of the game. The HQ is and always will be in Melbourne. The MCG is football's mecca. A term like "interstate teams" is perfectly valid in many contexts.
Perfect example of the sort of person the opening post is directed at.

It's an Australian game, not a Victorian one.

can't wait until we get our first non-binary team

theres already one …Port Power

You know…that entity who pretend they are connected to the original SANFL club Port Adelaide Magpies and try their very best to get everyone else to accept their deluded dream of adding Port Adelaide’s 30 something flags to their own lonely cabinet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theres already one …Port Power

You know…that entity who pretend they are connected to the original SANFL club Port Adelaide Magpies and try their very best to get everyone else to accept their deluded dream of adding Port Adelaide’s 30 something flags to their own lonely cabinet
As a club, they can treat their history as they see fit. If they want to include SANFL flags, that's fine.

Within the AFL competition however, their history is limited to their time in that competition.

The AFL is a national competition, but there is growing discontent among fans outside of Victoria who believe the AFL is still being run and commentated as a primarily Victorian-centric competition.
This is not going to change overnight, we still have a lot of teams in Victoria so naturally a lot of the media and spotlight is going to be focused there.
But it starts with the little things, and one of those things that I think should be stamped out of acceptance is referring to clubs outside of Victoria as 'interstate' sides.

People need to start calling it out, and this falls on those guys who have played in these clubs who have managed to snag a job in the Victorian dominated media. Kane Cornes, Jono Brown, Matthew Pavlich, Wayne Carey etc...

It marginalises these clubs and plays in to a subconscious bias present right across the industry that it is Vic first and foremost, and the other clubs are an after-thought.

There's gonna be people that laugh at this and ignore it, and some of you will say there are bigger things to worry about than a simple label. I don't even find it offensive to my club in particular. What I do believe, is that it's offensive to the competition as a whole, and with the hopefully imminent introduction of a team in Tasmania, it's time that we start to stamp this term out of colloquialism.

A competition with an even foundation is a stronger competition.
Pretty much agree with this, apart from the national competition bit (it's not national yet).

Unfortunately to many Victorians seemingly, it's still their competition (and game).

In name only

We’ve been through this before
Yes, to many it's still a Victorian competition masquerading as a national one it would seem. Including AFL HQ.

As a club, they can treat their history as they see fit. If they want to include SANFL flags, that's fine.

Within the AFL competition however, their history is limited to their time in that competition.

the whole port power thing is one big fraudulent mess

they don’t even know themselves who they are

I agree OP, from now on Port, Adelaide, WC, freo, GWS, GC, Brisbane and Sydney should be referred to as the National clubs and the remainders as those from that little SE corner.

Actually I don't know why it's an issue. Usually when referring to 'Interstate sides' it's often in the context of sides having or not having to travel.

Equally, when talking about players it may be the 'go-home factor' for a player being drafted or asking to be traded.

When the competition has over 60% of its teams in one state then 'Interstate side' is a thing - it's a factor in several ways.

the whole port power thing is one big fraudulent mess

they don’t even know themselves who they are
Again, how the supporters and the club itself regard their history is their business. I'm not even sure why supporters of another club would even care.

Their AFL competition history however is how that competition records it. So it's from 97 onwards and only includes participation in the AFL. If their supporters want to argue differently on that then that's when problems occur.

I have been guilty of it myself but it is something I am trying to use less often as "interstate side" does imply a certain level of less importance which is completely nuts.

If necessary I prefer the term "non-Victorian sides"

Again, how the supporters and the club itself regard their history is their business. I'm not even sure why supporters of another club would even care.

Their AFL competition history however is how that competition records it. So it's from 97 onwards and only includes participation in the AFL. If their supporters want to argue differently on that then that's when problems occur.

you mean “ their deluded, moronic supporters”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back