Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Washington Generals
Hi All,

I decided to post my thoughts after attempting to watch the Brownlow Medal - via streaming on my PC.

Thinking about how hard it was to watch - without a 'FTA' TV, I then starting thinking about the big game on Saturday night. I (and many others) will be in the same situation as last night.

I don't own a 'FTA' TV or one of the limited devices that allow me to stream the game. I do own a PC, Laptop, Xbox, Android box but none of these are compatible.

It was OK to watch the MOST protected TV rights in the World - THE OLYMPICS on my PC - the coverage was great. But not the AFL Grand Final or Brownlow. I couldnt care much about the Brownlow - I watched an illegal stream anyway but want to watch the GF.

I'm sure we don't want the BIGFOOTY GF thread filled with 7,423,189 requests for a PM for a stream. In thinking about this I have decided to plea to the relevant agencies for a change of streaming policy.

I am going to send a version of the content below to each of the following agencies - in order of Political clout in Melbourne:

1, The Australian Football League

2, The Victorian State Government

3, Channel Seven

EMAIL BELOW

I am emailing your organisation to bring your attention to what I believe could have a big negative effect on the current fight against COVID 19.

This weekend the biggest sporting event on the Australian Calendar (in my opinion) - the AFL Grand Final is played at night broadcast from Perth.

I believe for the reasons outlined below that under the current broadcast conditions, there is a fair potential for this to create multiple COVID superspreader outbreaks/hubs.

PROBLEM

I, along with many people do NOT own a 'FTA' TV or one of the very limited devices on which I can stream the Grand Final into my own home. I attempted to watch the Brownlow medal on Kayosport, SEVEN.COM.AU with no success. I was recently able to watch the entire Olympics coverage on my PC/Laptop etc and the coverage was excellent and free.

There are many people in my situation who ONLY watch Sport and Entertainment content on Media PC's, Android boxes, Laptops etc. Most of these people would be in the under 35 age group which is pertinent to my argument.

SOLUTION

As I see it I have three potential solutions:

1) Purchase a 'FTA' TV or one of the limited streaming devices permitted by Channel Seven's rules. I am not going to buy something to use once a year.

2) Find and watch an illegal stream online - which is what I did for the Brownlow medal

3) Break the directives of the Victorian Chief Health Officer and visit a friend/mate/family member etc who has a 'FTA' TV and watch it at their place

The Pre COVID option of visiting a pub/venue to watch are obviously not possible.

Option 3 is the most likely option for me and especially for the cohort of AFL followers who are younger and don't have a traditional TV. This will also be the case to a smaller extent in Sydney and Canberra.

ISSUES TO CONSIDER

A lot of people will take option 3 this year. I don't lightly condone breaking the CHO directives but I have no other options. I think we can formulate in our minds who will most likely take option 3. I hardly think that Victorian Police need another event to worry about after the horrifying and disgraceful protest last weekend.

With the CURFEW currently in place anyone taking option 3 will HAVE to stay over for the night wherever they go - increasing transmission risk. I know myself I will travel by Public Transport as this will reduce my risk of getting caught. It WILL also increase the risk of transmission.

There will be people who will break the rules anyway this weekend but why enhance the risk? I believe the scenario outlined above is real and potentially will cause hundreds of cases - particularly with the game finishing late and there being a curfew in place.

I am asking for the following organisations to come to a special COVID 19 exemption to allow the AFL Grand Final to be streamed on any PC/Laptop/compatible device - just through a web browser is enough - don't need an app. The current SEVEN.COM.AU website would be fine.

The Australian Football League

The Victorian State Government

Channel Seven

A copy of this email will be sent to each of the above organisations. You have a week to make this happen to prevent even more COVID problems.

Thanks in advance,

What do fellow BF folk think? I am being ridiculous or overly dramatic? Love to hear thoughts. I am going to email it anyway.

Cheers

FL

I'm only just learning about this now. Why do so many people not have televisions that get TV channels?

G'day Blackhawk42,

I have a PC, a Laptop and an extra monitor but no TV. I live alone and don't watch "Reality" TV, endless ads etc.

99% of FTA stuff I want to watch is on their website or ABC Iview etc. I know I'm in the minority but its crazy I can't even do a PPV to stream it!

I'm only just learning about this now. Why do so many people not have televisions that get TV channels?

Because FTA is garbage. There is literally nothing worth watching on there ever, apart from occasional sport.

For most it's not that they don't have a tv, it's they don't have the antenna or aerial. It's a dying platform. For channel 7 and the AFL to not recognise that when it's 2021 is just bizarre. Mind you this is the network that broadcast the grand final in SD for about 15 years past its use by date. They are pathetic and incompetent.

Because FTA is garbage. There is literally nothing worth watching on there ever, apart from occasional sport.

For most it's not that they don't have a tv, it's they don't have the antenna or aerial. It's a dying platform. For channel 7 and the AFL to not recognise that when it's 2021 is just bizarre. Mind you this is the network that broadcast the grand final in SD for about 15 years past its use by date. They are pathetic and incompetent.

How many houses or units dont have aerials ?

G'day Blackhawk42,

I have a PC, a Laptop and an extra monitor but no TV. I live alone and don't watch "Reality" TV, endless ads etc.

99% of FTA stuff I want to watch is on their website or ABC Iview etc. I know I'm in the minority but its crazy I can't even do a PPV to stream it!

I feel as though all of this is relatively new though yeah? How long have all these streaming services been available while internet speeds have been able to successfully keep up? Has to be 5-10 years tops? Or am I out of the loop?

I ask because I wonder when you last owned a TV?

Do you watch new blockbusters on a smaller monitor?

Respectfully, do you think maybe if it's worth the trouble to post this on a footy forum that perhaps the one-time cost of a television pays for itself?

I feel as though all of this is relatively new though yeah? How long have all these streaming services been available while internet speeds have been able to successfully keep up? Has to be 5-10 years tops? Or am I out of the loop?

I ask because I wonder when you last owned a TV?

Do you watch new blockbusters on a smaller monitor?

Respectfully, do you think maybe if it's worth the trouble to post this on a footy forum that perhaps the one-time cost of a television pays for itself?

I last owned a TV about 2 years ago. My ex used to watch it but I watch most of my content on Kayo which understandably doesnt have the rights to broadcast the GF.

As far as new blockbusters - I certainly would NOT be watching them on FTA with endless bloody ads and crappy 1080i.

Respectfully, you think I should buy a TV to use once a year? I watch the Sunday Footy show, ABC Insiders and thats about it on FTA streaming.

I last owned a TV about 2 years ago. My ex used to watch it but I watch most of my content on Kayo which understandably doesnt have the rights to broadcast the GF.

As far as new blockbusters - I certainly would NOT be watching them on FTA with endless bloody ads and crappy 1080i.

Respectfully, you think I should buy a TV to use once a year? I watch the Sunday Footy show, ABC Insiders and thats about it on FTA streaming.

No, but you'd have the big televsion and I assume you're house or apartment would have the port for free to air also?

So i'm saying, you'd have a big TV to have a better experience watching whatever it is that you watch, then when an event like the AFL Grand Final rolls around you are ready to go as well.

I'm not saying you HAVE to buy a TV to improve your life or anything. But I know if I was in the same situation i'd be cutting my losses and just buying a TV.

No, but you'd have the big televsion and I assume you're house or apartment would have the port for free to air also?

So i'm saying, you'd have a big TV to have a better experience watching whatever it is that you watch, then when an event like the AFL Grand Final rolls around you are ready to go as well.

I'm not saying you HAVE to buy a TV to improve your life or anything. But I know if I was in the same situation i'd be cutting my losses and just buying a TV.

Free to air is dying technology. Why should people have to spend money to watch something on it once a year, just because the broadcaster is incompetent and won't keep up with the times? The sooner the commercial networks die the better.

I have a 42 inch 4K monitor to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kayosport etc on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free to air is dying technology. Why should people have to spend money to watch something on it once a year, just because the broadcaster is incompetent and won't keep up with the times? The sooner the commercial networks die the better.

You can stream ABC, SBS, 7, 9, and 10. You dont need an aerial.

You can also stream Youtube, all the different tv/movie companies, Funimation, Chromecast and a million other things, and thats not even getting in to DVDs, XBox, PS, Switch, etc.

Just say "I choose to watch on a computer monitor". Its a fine choice for many. But the idea that a TV offers nothing is just silly. It may mostly offer nothing extra, but if you want to watch the AFL GF then its at least something.

I watch things on my laptop but often I much prefer to watch things on my big TV. Especially with other people around.

Agree there should be better streaming options for the grand final.
Disagree that it will cause a super spreader event, the great majority of people do have TVs that connect to antennas.

Ok well lets just say for the sake of argument, that there are 1000 people (in Melbourne - mostly young blokes) who ONLY stream their sport/entertainment. I wonder what they will do this weekend?

This is a pre COVID broadcast agreement that is potentially dangerous this year. And too bloody restrictive anyway.

Somehow I don't think that is going to happen. It would be foolish for Vic Health in particular to 'look the other way'.

Going to join one of the moron protests because you dont own a TV?

Or more will sneak over to a friend's house to watch?

Play the odds - buying a $700 ALDI TV is far cheaper than the $5k fine.

I dont imagine visiting a friend is a superspreader event.

Going to join one of the moron protests because you dont own a TV?

Or more will sneak over to a friend's house to watch?

Play the odds - buying a $700 ALDI TV is far cheaper than the $5k fine.

I dont imagine visiting a friend is a superspreader event.

Definitely would not join those idiot protesters - disgraceful.

I will either go to a mates - who is also fully vaccinated like me - or watch a stream.

If you are referring to me well that is OK. I just think some flexibility in this case would save health issues. They could have streamed the Brownlow last night but instead had on Border Punishment or something like that.
So you would've followed the rules if you hadn't foolishly thrown away your TV?

Ok, I believe you.

So you would've followed the rules if you hadn't foolishly thrown away your TV?

Ok, I believe you.

Yes I foolishly threw away a TV that wasn't working. I saw no need to buy a replacement as I thought the world had moved on from FTA but not in Australia anyway.

The stupid thing is I can't even PAY to watch it on Kayo or other platforms.

A small tv can also be a PC screen with a HDMI cable

Weirdest thread of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back