Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cerra needs to improve and should, as do most 21 year olds.

He's not top shelf but he could be, well down the development path without being fully there.

We have other trade options. Cerra and Hewett coming in. SPS going out. Fisher, Dow, O'Brien, Kennedy, McGovern and Setterfield unlikely to be best 22 next year but could have trade interest. So bringing in a tall is still an option without pick 6 or pic 25.

Linked to Branded, we are already going to trade with WCE so there's you're tall to replace Jones.

Would not be surprised to see Cerra, Hewett and Brander coming into our team next year. Improves us a lot.
While I like Brander, I don't see him as the answer to Jones but could he be trained to be? Nothing would surprise me.

Good post Wickzki, you are obviously a big fan of Gibcus and I couldn't agree more that we need to add some developing key defenders to our list.

One thing that is slightly problematic I think though is that you may be assuming it will only be pick 6 for Cerra. I think it will be a little more than that. Does that change your view at all or were you just thinking of 6 as the main nucleus of the deal and the peripheries don't matter in the context of what you're speaking of?

If Austin can pull off Cerra for 6 alone, I might lay off him. Reckon that will be a hard bargain to drive.
The second best tall defender in the draft usually goes in the second round. Lets just keep 25 and use it on one of the WA boys

has been spruiking mason cox over levi possibly for brisbane.........at least he's no fence-sitter.........

Good post Wickzki, you are obviously a big fan of Gibcus and I couldn't agree more that we need to add some developing key defenders to our list.

One thing that is slightly problematic I think though is that you may be assuming it will only be pick 6 for Cerra. I think it will be a little more than that. Does that change your view at all or were you just thinking of 6 as the main nucleus of the deal and the peripheries don't matter in the context of what you're speaking of?

If Austin can pull off Cerra for 6 alone, I might lay off him. Reckon that will be a hard bargain to drive.
why is pick 6 alone so hard to imagine, if freo dont take it they risk cerra nominating in the national draft
1) daicos
2) horne -north
3) dogs match
4) GWS - draft
5) GC - couldnt take cerra
6) Crows - wouldnt take cerra
7) hawks - could take cerra but he would slap terms on his nomination plus hawks wouldnt want a player who doesnt want to be there
8) carlton get cerra
freo run this risk so would probably want a first and a second, blues play hardball and say its a first and a third or we are risking the draft approach and if we miss out we just use our pick someone else gets him freo get nothing

You want my honest opinion?

I think Gibbs is a big kid, who grew up loving footy and being the apple of his parent's eye, who never really grew up. I think he came to Melbourne and exchanged one boys club for another, and at no point was he forced to grow up or to become something more than a football player. He wasn't pushed, wasn't extended, and it wasn't really going to come from within.

When you get a kid like that, it's on you the coach to pull them through; they'll run through the wall for you. You give a player like that to Leigh Matthews, he's Luke Hodge or Michael Voss; you give a player like that to Alastair Clarkson, he's an in/out mid with a nasty streak who rises when it matters and spends 3-4 weeks a year on the sidelines because he's suspended for a bump, an over enthusiastic tackle (and who's lucky to only be out for 3-4 weeks due to the 'good bloke' discount'.

You pick a direction and get him going. Tell him where and when he's failing. What'd we do? We used him as a gap filler, his entire career. He was a tagger, then an intercept defender, then a general midfielder, then an inside mid, then a matchwinner because we had no-one else. We took this kid with the skills and the frame to be absolutely anything, we used him as a bandaid, and now we're kind of a bit meh about his career?

Did he leave a little bit on the table? Not at all; I'm pretty sure if you asked him, he'd say he did what he was told. I don't think he has the imagination or the ambition to have understood that he was capable of more.
I'm a bit late to the party but this is an excellent post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why is pick 6 alone so hard to imagine, if freo dont take it they risk cerra nominating in the national draft
1) daicos
2) horne -north
3) dogs match
4) GWS - draft
7) hawks - could take cerra but he would slap terms on his nomination plus hawks wouldnt want a player who doesnt want to be there
8) carlton get cerra
freo run this risk so would probably want a first and a second, blues play hardball and say its a first and a third or we are risking the draft approach and if we miss out we just use our pick someone else gets him freo get nothing
"Hawthorn could take Cerra at five if he decides to move through the national draft."

- Matt Rendell

1) daicos
2) horne -north
3) dogs match
4) GWS - draft
8) carlton get cerra
And pretty much ensure that no player in the future would entertain the prospect of nominating us because we are a fair chance to f#@k up their future?

Sounds like a great plan

Just curious, would people be happy if Dow was at Cerras level??

I'd assume people would be absolutely cheering.

But he's miles off and they aren't really comparable as players outside the fact that they were taken in the same draft. We are hoping that Dow becomes more of a Dangerfield player style wise, Cerra is more Simon Black. Not using those players as ceilings or expectations, just the way they play / roles.

Dow has shown glimpses at this stage, Cerra has played significantly more complete games and done so more consistently.

I think you’re really underrating Stephenson here, same draft, averaged just over 19 disposals a game this year, same amount of tackles as Cerra, Stephenson however already has 93 goals to his name, Cerra has 16.

Both would be fantastic for us and I still can’t believe the lack of interest in him from our end, he’s a really good player.
Stephenson’s a disaster waiting to happen. Off field/in bathroom stall issues that were well known at his old club and a major contributing factor to trading him for peanuts.
Along with the cap issues of course.
There’s a reason that clubs higher up the ladder didn’t want a bar of him regardless of the minimal trade cost.

And pretty much ensure that no player in the future would entertain the prospect of nominating us because we are a fair chance to f#@k up their future?

Sounds like a great plan
This is an important point that often gets lost. A player nominating benefits us because we get a player we want and it avoids a bidding war. Once we come that point, we have to get the deal done (within reason) or no one will deal with us again. Players or teams.

People act like him nominating us was done in a vaccuum without any input from us. It’s nonsense - we would have been in contact with him and encouraging it. On us to get it done after that (again, within reason)

Where's my 2pm announcement?

The muppets running the club's social media made the 2pm daily announcement prematurely. :p

images

I wonder - if Cerra had delivered exactly the same output in his four years from a 2nd round draft slot, what would be his publicly perceived value.

To be clear I’m all for trading 6 for him. But I do think the Mayo over and above 6 being bandied about is purely due to his draft slot and not what he’s delivered.

Think 6 is main nucleus.

Would trade a future second for a third this year coming back if pushed for more

Think both teams will be improved next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back