Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't care where it is as long as it is conducive to overtaking and not just in DRS zones. Don't need any more Monaco style glorified parades.

Tracks are not the issue, the cars themselves really don't like dirty air.

Re-design the cars to be able to follow each other

The people behind this, need to be in jail.

1635581841972.png

The people behind this, need to be in jail.

View attachment 1271017
Unfortunately, there are people out there that lap this sort of s**t up. Plenty of politicians, parties and their supporters have been more than happy to spread misinformation to politicise the pandemic, rather than support public health messaging that could have gotten us out of s**t earlier.

Unfortunately, there are people out there that lap this sort of sh*t up. Plenty of politicians, parties and their supporters have been more than happy to spread misinformation to politicise the pandemic, rather than support public health messaging that could have gotten us out of sh*t earlier.
SPOT ON

I don't want to argue about the vax/no vax thing, but I think it would be very short sighted to not select a player based on that.

Every chance in a year or two we (or at least most people) aren't even talking about it.
I disagree. This virus is not going away. We will still be dealing with it 10 years from now.

I disagree. This virus is not going away. We will still be dealing with it 10 years from now.
Places with high vax rates are still going into lockdown as people are testing positive.

Vaxxed numbers also don't include people below the age of 16! This will continue to be a part of our lives until every age can get vaxxed AND we have treatment for it when people get sick

Places with high vax rates are still going into lockdown as people are testing positive.

Vaxxed numbers also don't include people below the age of 16! This will continue to be a part of our lives until every age can get vaxxed AND we have treatment for it when people get sick
Vic's stats based on 12+ now at least and hopefully moving to 5+ when the TGA approves the Pfizer for that age group

I don't think in 10 years time we are still going to be walking into restaurants and showing our covid 19 vaccination status to get in.

If we are ... send the asteroid.
Using the Spanish Flu as a reference, that pandemic lasted roughly 26 months, so let's say 30 for the sake of easy maths means we are hopefully looking at a September 2022 end of the pandemic.

Which is timely imo, to see how Australia copes with another winter of it

Using the Spanish Flu as a reference, that pandemic lasted roughly 26 months, so let's say 30 for the sake of easy maths means we are hopefully looking at a September 2022 end of the pandemic.

Who knows, maybe it drags on longer than that.

Maybe players are still being banned from playing post next season if they are unvaccinated. I doubt it, but there is a decent chance.

I still think it would be dumb to be putting a line through players based on whether or not they are vaccinated right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows, maybe it drags on longer than that.

Maybe players are still being banned from playing post next season if they are unvaccinated. I doubt it, but there is a decent chance.

I still think it would be dumb to be putting a line through players based on whether or not they are vaccinated right now.
I think there are dates they have to be done by. So I wouldn't stress to much until that deadline and certain stars don't rock up to training

A lot of the anti-vax stuff is being spread by Christian fundamentalists trying to get new followers victims, by pushing the narrative that only Christ can save them. It's a scam.

A lot of the anti-vax stuff is being spread by Christian fundamentalists trying to get new followers victims, by pushing the narrative that only Christ can save them. It's a scam.

iu

It's a problem. I have relatives who have fallen victim to the lies, I shudder to think how many lives these people have claimed...

I wonder if this will become a yearly shot. Covid check-in requirements likely to be scrapped at 90% vaccination rate, which is going to happen within the next few weeks.

Yes certainly for the elderly and others at risk. There are however highly efficacious treatments coming through which can virtually stamp out the virus with 100% effectiveness if treatment occurs early. Eg a new Pfizer drug. I think it will be a bit like the flu is currently. The at risk segment will get annual vaccination and the rest will rely on treatment.

I just don't think you can use the Spanish Flu timeframes as a realistic reference this time round.

In 1915, the Spanish Flu was spread by the returning soldiers of WW1. At that time, the world population is estimated to be 1,700,000,000 with the fastest form of transportation being a horse and dray or a steam ship. At this time, a much larger percentage of the population grew a lot of their own food, less people lived in cities, and cities were less densely populated.

In 2019, Covid-19 was spread initially by business people, tourists and transport workers in the main, but once out there it was spread by the movement and density of the world population, now estimated at 7,713,468,100. People live much more densely, with more than 80% of the worlds population living in cities as opposed to about 20% in 1915, with 95% of countries interconnected by trade and/or tourism.

The very fact that the people of 1915 were so isolated saved a lot of them. I don't think we can count on Covid-19 dying out any time soon, considering we have barely started vaccinating Africa and South America, and that a large percentage of the world population does not trust their governments enough to have a vaccination even where it's readily available.

Just my thoughts, I'm no expert on the matter...

(Note: All these figures are very rough as I couldn't be bothered to find reliable sources, but they do to show the trend)

I just don't think you can use the Spanish Flu timeframes as a realistic reference this time round.

In 1915, the Spanish Flu was spread by the returning soldiers of WW1. At that time, the world population is estimated to be 1,700,000,000 with the fastest form of transportation being a horse and dray or a steam ship. At this time, a much larger percentage of the population grew a lot of their own food, less people lived in cities, and cities were less densely populated.

In 2019, Covid-19 was spread initially by business people, tourists and transport workers in the main, but once out there it was spread by the movement and density of the world population, now estimated at 7,713,468,100. People live much more densely, with more than 80% of the worlds population living in cities as opposed to about 20% in 1915, with 95% of countries interconnected by trade and/or tourism.

The very fact that the people of 1915 were so isolated saved a lot of them. I don't think we can count on Covid-19 dying out any time soon, considering we have barely started vaccinating Africa and South America, and that a large percentage of the world population does not trust their governments enough to have a vaccination even where it's readily available.

(Note: All these figures are very rough as I couldn't be bothered to find reliable sources, but they do to show the trend)
Look, you are probably right. It was just the last major pandemic I can think of that might be able to be used as a reference

I can't see us not wearing masks indoors during winter for some time though. Like years

you're right, this is something the world has never seen, and the population density thing is also why we're almost certain to get various mutations of covid, which is already happening ... the fear, of course, being just how much worse any new version might be, but that's been the case with the flu

Pretty right in the broad details of the comparison I think.
What COVID has shown that seems to be a bit different to its other SARS stablemates is that it is more infectious and mutates more rapidly and more often.
In a global society the only way to mitigate regular outbreaks of new strains is to vaccinate the globe, not just developed countries. Otherwise new strains will pop up with monotonous regularity.
We're a long way off that place so IMO we are looking at masks, social distancing and 6 monthly boosters for some years. Regular localised lockdowns to contain smaller outbreaks. High infection rates a la Europe but lower death rates. Long COVID will be a thing for many years.
Individuals and communities who decline to get vaxxed MAY act as breeder sites for new variants, like the unvaccinated in the Third World who have no choice.
Cannot imagine any logical reason to decline the opportunity to get vaccinated. I'm due a booster next month and will jump all over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back