Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 7: This Thread is for Reasonable ON TOPIC Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the year 2030 when there's the 99th new variant that people and politicians will lose their mind over because the media told us it was bad.

As I think Gralin said, stop watching and reading articles from the news "experts".

Travelling anywhere international looks a long way away. Should give housing prices a much needed bump again.

With the name Omnicron, we're more than halfway through the Greek alphabet. What happens when we run out of Greek letters? Start with ordinary names like cyclones? Or is that too politically incorrect for the WHO?

'The Karen variant, the worst yet, is now ripping through retail and hospitality workplaces ...'

With the name Omnicron, we're more than halfway through the Greek alphabet. What happens when we run out of Greek letters? Start with ordinary names like cyclones? Or is that too politically incorrect for the WHO?

'The Karen variant, the worst yet, is now ripping through retail and hospitality workplaces ...'
The Chad variant is really hitting gym bros hard.

who is the next country according to the International Olympic Committee? :think: :p

Only fully-vaccinated British tourists will be admitted to Spain from Wednesday as countries around the world tighten border restrictions amid concern at the new Omicron coronavirus variant.

Until now, Britons could enter Spain by showing a negative PCR test result taken up to 72 hours before arriving, but from 1 December they will also need proof of a Covid-19 vaccination.

The variant, which has also been detected in Belgium, Botswana, Hong Kong, Italy, Germany and Britain, has sparked global concern and a wave of travel curbs, although epidemiologists say such restrictions may be too late to stop Omicron from circulating globally.

It came as Switzerland imposed a 10-day quarantine on travellers arriving from Britain, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Egypt and Malawi.

Meanwhile, Israel has said it will ban the entry of all foreigners into the country for 14 days, making it the first country to shut its borders completely in response to Omicron.

Dr. Angelique Coetzee, a practicing doctor for 30 years who chairs the South African Medical Association (SAMA), said she believed she had found a new strain of the virus after COVID-19 patients at her private practice in Pretoria exhibited strange symptoms.

“Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before,” Coetzee told The Telegraph.

Who cares then it's just like a weak cold

Dr. Angelique Coetzee, a practicing doctor for 30 years who chairs the South African Medical Association (SAMA), said she believed she had found a new strain of the virus after COVID-19 patients at her private practice in Pretoria exhibited strange symptoms.

“Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before,” Coetzee told The Telegraph.

Dr Coetzee may be an outstanding clinician, and I hope she’s right, but we’re going to need more evidence than that.

Hospitalisations versus case numbers in the next few weeks will be a better guide.

Dr Coetzee may be an outstanding clinician, and I hope she’s right, but we’re going to need more evidence than that.

Hospitalisations versus case numbers in the next few weeks will be a better guide.
I'd say only need to wait a week or so but so far so good

I'd say only need to wait a week or so but so far so good

A weak cold to the healthy.
Maybe severe illness or death to the unhealthy
Dr Coetzee claims she has been quoted by the media out of context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A weak cold to the healthy.
Maybe severe illness or death to the unhealthy
Dr Coetzee claims she has been quoted by the media out of context.

So just worry about older unvaccinated people? Australia has no issues with that

Two passengers flying into Sydney on Saturday night from southern Africa have tested positive for the dangerous Omicron variant of Covid-19.
The two positive cases, who were asymptomatic, are in isolation. Both people are fully vaccinated.

Queensland’s acting chief health officer has been unable to guarantee the state’s borders will fully reopen as planned due to the emergence of the Omicron super-variant.

It comes after three new Covid cases.

The new cases were linked to interstate arrivals who tested positive on their first day in Queensland.

Two passengers flying into Sydney on Saturday night from southern Africa have tested positive for the dangerous Omicron variant of Covid-19.
The two positive cases, who were asymptomatic, are in isolation. Both people are fully vaccinated.

Queensland’s acting chief health officer has been unable to guarantee the state’s borders will fully reopen as planned due to the emergence of the Omicron super-variant.

The new cases were linked to interstate arrivals who tested positive on their first day in Queensland.

my loudest ever FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKK.

Let it rip, wasting time like 18months ago trying to suppress or vaccinate it.

Rather live free to travel and carefree for the next 2 years than live the next 50 restricted and locked like an animal.
steady on

Why not wait 2 weeks and see what the experts have to say

You'll be thread banned for stating any relevance of the common cold to the flu my man.

About time to have some serious conversations about winding back any federal money to states who wish to remain closed. Absolutely laughable that these states are still closed (and people still cheer it on) when vaccination rates around Australia are as high as they are.

Just went to the Melbourne Victory game, no masks and no social distancing yet other states still scared of one single case lol.

You'll be thread banned for stating any relevance of the common cold to the flu my man.

About time to have some serious conversations about winding back any federal money to states who wish to remain closed. Absolutely laughable that these states are still closed (and people still cheer it on) when vaccination rates around Australia are as high as they are.

Just went to the Melbourne Victory game, no masks and no social distancing yet other states still scared of one single case lol.
Only had mask for 2 weeks were I am since the start no fear what so ever,...so its a hard sell to let the lurgy in
especially the new one,,,,until we know more

The Southern Africa travel bans are more racist populism than effective measure

At this point we should be asking why our first response is lock the doors again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back