Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty thorough shellacking in the midfield. It's also something you saw again and again, at contested ball around the ground you'd have, say, a couple of our defenders, say, and their opponents, and also Melbourne's entire inside brigade. And that's it.

Best: Payne, Coleman, Starce, Rich, Oscar.

By gee by golly my word oh lord that was dissapointing.

Lets have some positivity here, as it will hard to find elsewhere.

Payne looked super good tonight. Looked settled, used his body really well and took some nice intercept marks.

Honestly I thought Big O was pretty good, maybe in truth the disconnect between him the the midfield is on him, but I feel its more on them really. Maybe should have started whacking them long, who knows.

Negatives is probably obvious. It was just a frustrating mix of individual players making howlers, a team-wise lack of frenetic pressure, a disconnect between players and their being there for each other, and a lack of effort as we fell further and further behind. Also was there no plan on how we enter the 50, or did that get thrown in the bin. Saltiness in my blood, we made Lever look like superman.

Anyway. This should give us a mighty big kick up the rump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyons, McStay, Cameron.... 3 important senior players. Missing.

I think we have to go through a mini rebuild for elite talent only. If that means cutting B graders like Gardiner and McStay to bring in genuine elite talent.... then so be it. Wish we never signed Lyons onto a multi year deal. Stupid list management mistake.

Tend to agree with TBD, sack the board.

Never seen TBD call for the board to be sacked. Shows how far we've fallen (third place)

Think we’re about one midfielder short. Ideally Rayner or Bailey take over from Lyons and Clug becomes a regular 28+ possession getter a game, but I don’t see that happening this year.
Lyons whilst still solid isn’t the same calibre as the elite mids

Bring on the Dogs next week.

Bring on Carlton in Round 21.

We win those two, we're still likely to finish top 3 or 4.

People claiming we're not one of the best teams don't watch many games other than ours - this year is brutally open. Melbourne is a clear tier above, but even they've looked flaky and the rest of us have been far from elite.

Outclassed, outworked and outcoached.

Shades of 2016 in that performance tonight. Brutal review incoming and unfortunately it will be the young players who get dropped.

I get your broader point but I don’t see who of the young players actually contributed.

Payne was pretty solid in the air I guess, had his usual brutal few turnovers though. Tough ask for tunstill to debut. Tom berry was anonymous outside a couple of turnovers.

Sack Ben Hudson and Cam Bruce tonight.

Forward and backline does alright when we can deliver/help them out. The midfield gets torched every week, it cannot continue.

Back