Review Round 18, 2022 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If you call it hubris it did cost us the 4 points last week.

In hindsight.
Nah, check the thread - plenty of posts saying “GET MATHO ON”
He was an unused medi-sub with stellar numbers in the reserves and we were getting murdered in the middle. It was flat out poor coaching and it cost us.

Two weeks ago Danny Dailey was interviewed and asked about matho.

He quoted the coaching mantra - too many deficits in his game, not a two way runner blah blah blah

Not only was matho easily in the top third of players today, he makes other players stand tall.

The fact that our coaches can't understand how he contributes to our top team is worrying.

They are allowing bias to influence their team selection, and it stinks, and borders on incompetence.

We smashed contested possessions. Yes, GSW are a poor team, but we lost last week, at home against a team equal to GWS.

Can't wait to see what Fagan has to say. My money is he was say he has a cracker of a game, great depth player.

Then I will lose my s**t.
I don't think you're really being fair there. Daly wasn't potting him (obviously), just, there are these factors the he needs to develop to get into the seniors. And they've clearly been need of work when he's previously played seniors.

He's obviously worked hard and gotten his chance. Now there's a reasonable argument that perhaps he should have been in last week - or at least used as the sub.

OTOH if he'd racked up seven frees for against Essendon there'd have been a royal commission 🤣

Always. I would like to see him in the team. I tell you what though, I thought posters taking pleasure in his non selection let themselves down.
I don't think he's best 22 but taking pleasure in players' non-selection (as opposed to those who are selected) is a bit eh to my mind. Ideally all of our players would be pushing for senior selection, or if not then a young player that has obvious developmental opportunities.

That was Cockatoo's best game. There could be a future for him down back. We can't fit them all in.
True about fitting them all in.
It is a small sample down back for Cockatoo being today and a little in last weeks game
It is so much easier to play down back as a small defender compared to a small forward
He most likely brings more x factor and grunt down back than Answerth
Answerth is brave and regularly looks like he is out for the count during some games.
Cockatoo has 2cm and 12 kg on Answerth
At least it adds another option for Cockatoo to get back into the side

I don't think you're really being fair there. Daly wasn't potting him (obviously), just, there are these factors the he needs to develop to get into the seniors. And they've clearly been need of work when he's previously played seniors.

He's obviously worked hard and gotten his chance. Now there's a reasonable argument that perhaps he should have been in last week - or at least used as the sub.

OTOH if he'd racked up seven frees for against Essendon there'd have been a royal commission 🤣

I think I'm being incredible fair. Daly was very clear - Rhys is not in the team because he has deficits in his game. Therefore saying his deficits outweigh his benefits.

Fagan has impressed me in his ability to own that they may have got it wrong.

From Fagan's post game press tonight -

LACHIE had been getting tagged out. Rhys was a good including this week. Sitting here I'm thinking maybe we should have thought that a little while ago and maybe picked him a little bit sooner.

Rhys got his opportunity, out his hand up and delivered.

10 clearances is a wonderful effort by him.

Also note - GWS strength is clearances. They are around second in the league for clearances, and today's team, position and tactics, demolished them.

The proof that Rhys was being misjudged by professional coaches is very clear.

Hats off to Fagan got being open.

Interesting presser from Fages, helped by some very good questions from the journos in Canberra:

That journalist was awesome. Some of the best questions in a long time, and very knowledgeable.

I think that the inclusion of Matho just gave us further options, to play Hugh a bit wider or forward at times, Lyons also a bit more time forward and an extra rotation in the mids as well. Matho himself could have kicked 2 goals also. But one thing is certain, that is the best the midfield has played for quite some time, not for one minute saying it is all Matho but he certainly played his role.
The team as a whole defended the ground the best it has in quite a long time also and used the handball quite a bit more today and using the runners when moving the ball forward which was a welcome site to see.
It was obvious what the team had been working on during the week. Which is some effort when the team was put into isolation earlier in the week.

I think that the inclusion of Matho just gave us further options, to play Hugh a bit wider or forward at times, Lyons also a bit more time forward and an extra rotation in the mids as well. Matho himself could have kicked 2 goals also. But one thing is certain, that is the best the midfield has played for quite some time, not for one minute saying it is all Matho but he certainly played his role.
The team as a whole defended the ground the best it has in quite a long time also and used the handball quite a bit more today and using the runners when moving the ball forward which was a welcome site to see.
It was obvious what the team had been working on during the week. Which is some effort when the team was put into isolation earlier in the week.

Exactly. We reevaluated our weapons, and found a better combination than we have been running with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two weeks ago Danny Dailey was interviewed and asked about matho.

He quoted the coaching mantra - too many deficits in his game, not a two way runner blah blah blah

Not only was matho easily in the top third of players today, he makes other players stand tall.

The fact that our coaches can't understand how he contributes to our top team is worrying.

They are allowing bias to influence their team selection, and it stinks, and borders on incompetence.

We smashed contested possessions. Yes, GSW are a poor team, but we lost last week, at home against a team equal to GWS.

Can't wait to see what Fagan has to say. My money is he was say he has a cracker of a game, great depth player.

Then I will lose my s**t.
Calm down….. it’s been one week….

That journalist was awesome. Some of the best questions in a long time, and very knowledgeable.
Great press conference, those journalists are all asking great questions too.
Pretty confident a lot of the questions about the midfield mix were from Cody Atkinson from the ABC, who does great weekly deep dive pieces with another guy - they are based in Canberra.

Calm down….. it’s been one week….

Good point, I'm a bit rabid right now.

The guy has coped so much negativity, from within his own club. Just so glad he showed what he can offer so clearly.

Hope to never hear the dialogue that he has nothing to offer again. Might not suit every opposition, but clearly is AFL level.

Well we played Lyons and Matho in the same team after they said we couldn't .

Lyons must be struggling to keep his spot based on the comparison today.

Well ,based in the year really.

An alternative take would be that after being completely embarrassed last week, the midfield today (whoever it was) would have been itching to make up for it.

Matho was certainly a good part of that.

also backing in players to improve as we run into finals is a valid strategy, especially when they have the prior experience and runs on board. Chopping and changing. Long term and into finals how do we want our team to look.

I guess counter to that we need to bring in the form players now to ensure we get a good finals berth. I'm sure Matho's performance will bring out some.. strong discussion :)

I think they'd get lynched if they dropped him

I've been pretty firm in my view that Matho isn't the solution, but it would be ridiculous to drop him on that performance - only thing more you could have asked of him would have been to convert his 2 shots.

I have my doubts about whether he is any kind of answer long-term, but worth giving a few weeks to see how it looks at this point (especially after last week).

Back