Review Round 18, 2022 - GWS vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against GWS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been pretty firm in my view that Matho isn't the solution, but it would be ridiculous to drop him on that performance - only thing more you could have asked of him would have been to convert his 2 shots.

I have my doubts about whether he is any kind of answer long-term, but worth giving a few weeks to see how it looks at this point (especially after last week).
I'm not a Matho lover but it's clear he deserved a chance and Lyons should have been given a spell a couple of weeks ago.

Matho's been racking up numbers he's never had in the twos. We need to accept that maybe he's really improved.

I was surprised by the non anti-Lions quality of the commentary today - was it just that we were playing GWS so they didn't care about the other side / weren't pre-invested in their 'home' sides or did we fluke a combo that doesn't mind some of our players?
Dermy was barracking for them all day.

great game by the boys today. mitch....excellent. ah che.....excellent, matho, great game, fort, top game. gardiner etcetc

Down sides, Jack Payne has no intensity and needs to watch Robbo a bit more. Joey, just awful, really awful.

Some big selection questions for next week.

Absolutely. Fagan has refused to reward Mathieson’s form in the reserves and coaching staff and plenty of the parrots on our board have Chanted the Mantra about his supposed deficiencies. Well I tell you what, Mathieson has got enormous heart, mental strength and an obvious love for the club and he killed it out there. Fagan has clearly lost sight of the football fundamentals that have never changed in the nearly 55 years I have been following football - REWARD GOOD FORM AND MAKE BLOKES WHO ARE OUT OF FORM IN THE SENIORS GO BACK TO THE TWOS AND EARN THEIR PLACE IN THE TEAM.

Fagan’s hubris is on full display in these situations also:
Devon Robertson should be on the senior team.
Ah Chee and Prior don’t get dropped again.
We can’t afford Adams and Payne in the same team because they are poor contested footballers.
Ryan Lester deserves a proper run in the seniors. He is a better footballer and contributes more than Fagan and the parrots give him credit for. “Oh, but he has deficiencies…LOL”

Reality check - Today we beat the team that was 14th on the ladder.
I reckon you've lost your touch 3KZ.

Down sides, Jack Payne has no intensity and needs to watch Robbo a bit more. Joey, just awful, really awful.
I don’t think you will get too much of an argument from anyone ‘this week’ about Joe’s performance. He was not good and looks to be carrying something and lacking any sort of intensity.

I think I'm being incredible fair. Daly was very clear - Rhys is not in the team because he has deficits in his game. Therefore saying his deficits outweigh his benefits.

Fagan has impressed me in his ability to own that they may have got it wrong.

From Fagan's post game press tonight -

LACHIE had been getting tagged out. Rhys was a good including this week. Sitting here I'm thinking maybe we should have thought that a little while ago and maybe picked him a little bit sooner.

Rhys got his opportunity, out his hand up and delivered.

10 clearances is a wonderful effort by him.

Also note - GWS strength is clearances. They are around second in the league for clearances, and today's team, position and tactics, demolished them.

The proof that Rhys was being misjudged by professional coaches is very clear.

Hats off to Fagan got being open.
It's a bit black and white with you hey.

I don’t think you will get too much of an argument from anyone ‘this week’ about Joe’s performance. He was not good and looks to be carrying something and lacking any sort of intensity.
It really is amazing how many contests Joe doesn't get to.....and when he does, he stuffs up anyway. But that's just the way Joe plays.

It really is amazing how many contests Joe doesn't get to.....and when he does, he stuffs up anyway. But that's just the way Joe plays.
Just on Payne....if ever the phrase "built like Tarzan, plays like Jane" is applicable, it's for Jack. The guy is a monster of a man, I just hope he can realize his strength speed and ability.

The disappointing part is week to week Fagan plays his favorites every week. Jarrod Lyons has been an absolute passenger this year and had no right to keep his spot. Yet matho tearing up the 2nds probably winning the league bnf couldn't get look in.

Matho plays last week against essendon we probably win that.

saw some mention of Ah Chee with an elbow knock or something? I think they were saying it was completely fine, but was there anything in it? Good to see no injuries.

The center bounce where Fort tapped it forward in space for Neale to run onto was a beaut. Don't really see that with Big O it seems.

I think I'm being incredible fair. Daly was very clear - Rhys is not in the team because he has deficits in his game. Therefore saying his deficits outweigh his benefits.

Fagan has impressed me in his ability to own that they may have got it wrong.

From Fagan's post game press tonight -

LACHIE had been getting tagged out. Rhys was a good including this week. Sitting here I'm thinking maybe we should have thought that a little while ago and maybe picked him a little bit sooner.

Rhys got his opportunity, out his hand up and delivered.

10 clearances is a wonderful effort by him.

Also note - GWS strength is clearances. They are around second in the league for clearances, and today's team, position and tactics, demolished them.

The proof that Rhys was being misjudged by professional coaches is very clear.

Hats off to Fagan got being open.
Could he be wrong about any other players? 🤔

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any examples of these other players that Fages will be changing his mind about? Too much is being made about those comments. We know that the only people in the footy world who are never wrong are posters here on Bigfooty.

Lot of interesting moves today. I noticed Gardiner and Answerth being dragged upfield just outside the square but they put body on the line and did not let the ball get past them in the first quarter. Robbo was throwing himself around into contests, crashing packs as usual. Ah Chee was very good, some repeat efforts resulted in ball going back to Giants but he kept at it chasing the ball from our F50 all the way back to defense. Fort was tremendous with his second efforts and tackle.

Credit to Fagan for admitting may be they could've got Matho in an earlier round potentially. Matho proved his worth today and kept going, I am so happy for him having a really good game. Bring on the Suns !

Votes - Clugga, Matho, Neale, Fort and Ah Chee

saw some mention of Ah Chee with an elbow knock or something? I think they were saying it was completely fine, but was there anything in it? Good to see no injuries.

The center bounce where Fort tapped it forward in space for Neale to run onto was a beaut. Don't really see that with Big O it seems.
Went to fend off when getting tackled near the boundary. Was a bit high and with the forearm I think.

I dont think there was much in it, but as a non-big name off broadway I also wouldn't be surprised if he got cited

Dermy was barracking for them all day.

I agree, there was 10 or so examples where he had an obvious GWS lean. He dam near barracked a couple of times. My favourite was when he said Matho ducked on that second high tackle, when it was clearly a regulation high tackle, followed secondly by saying Ahchees fend off would be looked at by the MRO.

I messaged him once on Instagram and he replied.

He said that the special comments team usually get assigned a team in the lead up to study and focus on. He said he takes special interest in devaloping sides and because we were up the top he often had the lower sides.

He stressed that he admired the the Lions, but I swear - everytime he calls us he has an obvious leaning to the other team.

Last edited:
Dermotts commentary has always had a bias toward the lesser team whether they be undermanned or inexperienced etc.
Good boy. Well done by the kid

Used to be us.

Yeah I think this is true for all comments people, it’s usually trying to drum up some interest in a lop sided contest.

It’s annoying when it tips over into moaning about any good things that happen to us though.

Dermotts commentary has always had a bias toward the lesser team whether they be undermanned or inexperienced etc.
Good boy. Well done by the kid

Used to be us.

Agree with this. Reckon he adds a bit of mayo though when commentating the GWS games due to his past history with them. He certainly had a lot of positives to say about Kiddy today though. Rightly so :D

Back