AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Might need a rest this week with that shoulder.
Reckon you’d need to tie this bloke up to keep him from playing.

Has a Selwoodesque warrior mentality….which we have t seen from an Essendon mid in some time. still waiting to get a feel for his ceiling as a footballer. Solid 200 game B grader at minimum, need to watch him more before committing to him as having AA or “elite” potential.

That said….yet to really see a weakness. He’s not Darren Jarman by foot but then again neither is Selwood.

Reckon you’d need to tie this bloke up to keep him from playing.

Has a Selwoodesque warrior mentality….which we have t seen from an Essendon mid in some time. still waiting to get a feel for his ceiling as a footballer. Solid 200 game B grader at minimum, need to watch him more before committing to him as having AA or “elite” potential.

That said….yet to really see a weakness. He’s not Darren Jarman by foot but then again neither is Selwood.
I think he's a bit too reluctant to use his left and can sometimes do with just taking an earlier option.

Yeah I don’t know if it made it to the telecast but he got crunched in the last quarter, ran it off like the warrior he is but I think a breather might be needed this week.
If this was fifa his endurance bar would be in the red.

One of my favourite players with Perkins. Hard nut that would do anything to win.

Big difference to our captain Dyson ‘hang loose’ Heppell, she will be right mate attitude.

I don't recall a player we've drafted in the last 20 years that I've been as bullish on as I have Hobbs. I have no doubts that our next premiership will be off the back of this guys brilliance. What a player he will be.
Has some Selwood qualities about him (minus the ducking)

I really like what i see in Hobbs. Unlike a lot of our list, he seems to hold attributes that give him real leadership potential: competitiveness, hardness, and just a good footballer. He seems like the type of player that would make a stand in the big moments, although clearly time will tell with that.

I think for too long our list management / recruitment have conflated niceness with leadership potential. Hence, much of our list is made up of solid players but we're criticized for being too nice. Hobbs may also be a good bloke of course, but these qualities are a good step in the right direction.

4th on the ground for distance covered at high speed @2.3kms

3rd highest speed recorded on the ground @31.3kms (faster then Hind)

Loving that he’s not just a tough inside nut, seems to have some pop in those legs aswell. Bodes well for future development. Love him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the few that just does not give up and is hard as nails. Truly truly praying the others don't infect him with whatever disease Essington gives them.

Only 13 possessions but gee I loved his work today. Compare his game to some of the other more senior players out there with similar numbers and it’s chalk and cheese in terms of impact on the game. Look forward to him having more opportunity next year.

Only 13 possessions but gee I loved his work today. Compare his game to some of the other more senior players out there with similar numbers and it’s chalk and cheese in terms of impact on the game. Look forward to him having more opportunity next year.
A solid preseason and more midfield minutes for sure.

Has a real toughness about him. Doesn't shirk anything.

4th on the ground for distance covered at high speed @2.3kms

3rd highest speed recorded on the ground @31.3kms (faster then Hind)

Loving that he’s not just a tough inside nut, seems to have some pop in those legs aswell. Bodes well for future development. Love him.

Definitely has plenty of footy IQ.

Is he already the best player in our team at taking contact and still being able to release a handball to a teammate?

Merrett, Parish and Shiel more get by with quick hands before the tackler has a chance to get them (am not suggesting Hobbs hands are slow at all btw)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back