Autopsy Round 23, 2022: St.Kilda v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

We need more elite kicks that can pinpoint a target, now we just have Sinclair but we used to have Dal Santo, Goddard and Gwilt that could hit targets.
Clark hit a few tonight. Needs a good run at it next season 🙏🏼

Clark hit a few tonight. Needs a good run at it next season 🙏🏼

Clark has the skills to set up play from half back like those guys did but Goddard could hit a target on the run from 50 metres away, he was a freak.

I can see next year going in one of two ways, we do a Fremantle and have a big improvement out of nowhere to push for top 4, or we become the new Essendon. No in between.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've bagged umpires when they've deserved it, and I've defended them likewise.

Tonight I thought the umpiring was fine, one of the better ones.

BUT, the report of Ben Long, I can't help feel a little disgusted. He has clearly been reported because of what the umpire fraternity think of him. He made a magnificent spoil. If you didn't think there was any umpire bias, here's your proof otherwise.
Long got the Sydney guy flush in the face. Might have got some of the ball as well but from the angle on the wing, he got a lot of face.

Decent performance the summed up our year - we do a lot of things well but just don't have the class and polish to compete with the best.

- I'm happy Hanners got to finish on a high note. Every time he played for us, you could see why we brought him in and the skill that he has.

- Best game of Long's career.

- Sinclair deserves to be the first named half-back in the AA team. Put an exclamation mark on a brilliant season by showing that tagger you can't stop him twice. What a great way to respond to being shut down in our first meeting this year.

- King is going to be the best player in the comp in a few years time. He will be unstoppable. He will have games where he kicks terribly again but that doesn't mean he needs to go to the VFL or be tried in defence. After all the focus on his kicking last week, to come out and end the season with a great kicking night will do heaps for his confidence over the preseason.

- Clark really needs some luck with his body.

- NWM, Owens, Windy. They are going to be a special trio for us.

And when they all do it, it's coached.

It reminds me a bit of the Lyon days, except we're extremely slower and shorter switching it, which is ineffective. Still haven't worked it out. Maybe it stretches the field more to open the corridoor a little? Someone must've done the maths on it.
I reckon he we do that to suck the zone up the ground and then try and get them out the back

For all the talk of how bad we are, we just pushed a top 3 team all the way to the line, in a game they had to win to finish top 4 (was the difference between 3rd and 5th), and they have a grand total of ZERO missing from their best 22.

They were literally full strength.

We on the other hand had all of the following unavailable:

Gresham
Crouch
Ryder
Wood
Billings
D-Mac
Coffield
Clark (2nd half)
Webster
Sharman
Battle (last quarter)
Hayes

All 12 of whom were in our senior team the game prior to or while sustaining their current injuries!

Obviously we’ve got plenty to work on, but if we can work out how to put it all together we can play highly competitive footy.
Pushed us further than any other side has in about 2 months. Was great to see Hanners turning back the clock too.

As much as it can break your heart seeing a former champion of your club playing well for another team I think it broke my heart more seeing him struggle to get on the park consistently and play like the champion he is.

All the best for next year.

We need to get that fast flow on gameplan that all the best teams have got where you give your forwards a one on one or get them out in open space.

We chip it around too much so the opposition flood our forward 50 or when we try and go fast we turn it over as we don't have the skills to hit targets.
By the time we get on it, it will have been effectively worked out and neutralised by an innovative coach and everyone will copy that guy while we plug ahead with the Windows95 version.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back