Other Lawn bowls

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve recently moved to the northern suburbs and looking for a club to have a gander at.
I’ve basically played all positions except Lead in Pennant and Interleague. Even had a dash at Regional for a year (which was awesome!) at 2nd.
Was told that Craigieburn have recently moved to Div1 but won’t go so well. Any real advice for a bloke still trying to get used to slower greens to what I have been used to.

I’ve recently moved to the northern suburbs and looking for a club to have a gander at.
I’ve basically played all positions except Lead in Pennant and Interleague. Even had a dash at Regional for a year (which was awesome!) at 2nd.
Was told that Craigieburn have recently moved to Div1 but won’t go so well. Any real advice for a bloke still trying to get used to slower greens to what I have been used to.
Cragieburn’s synthetic green is quite slow. They’re trying to get their grass green out the back going. I reckon they’d go okay in Div 1 but a couple I know have left for Sunbury.

Where abouts do you live? Do you have a green/speed preference? What division Metro do you normally play?

Cragieburn’s synthetic green is quite slow. They’re trying to get their grass green out the back going. I reckon they’d go okay in Div 1 but a couple I know have left for Sunbury.

Where abouts do you live? Do you have a green/speed preference? What division Metro do you normally play?

I’ve only just moved to Craigieburn just over a week ago. Just having a sniff around to see what clubs are around the area.
Played on greens from 15-17 seconds regularly. Enjoyed my time on carpet at Moama.
My first year in Metro this year and happy to play anywhere really.

Just want to go somewhere where they have a good atmosphere, a beer and a lot of laughs. Not so much that competitiveness has gone by the wayside if you get my drift.

Last edited:
Looks like another washout this weekend if the forecasted rain hits. Been lucky to fill in during midweek a couple of times so have got some game time.
What the hell do normal people do on Saturday afternoons in the summer ? I hate not playing pennant.

We've (Keilor) been thrown into a section with quite a bit of travel to the Western Suburbs this season.

We played on a 15-16 second synthetic at Altona Sports last Saturday. Didn't know what to expect as Sports were relegated from Div 1. and most of us have never played there. Managed to get a hold of them after the half as we worked out their green. Solid win.

Not looking forward to the rain tomorrow as I reckon we'd have the upper hand on Hoppers. With all the rain, our greens are suffering a bit. Too much rain and not enough sun. But we're not alone there.

Been annoying last two Saturdays we have two carpets so had social bowls / practise with no rain.
Some of the travel in metro is nuts this year going to be all day trips.
Well hopefully the storms miss us and we get a game tomorrow.

We've (Keilor) been thrown into a section with quite a bit of travel to the Western Suburbs this season.

We played on a 15-16 second synthetic at Altona Sports last Saturday. Didn't know what to expect as Sports were relegated from Div 1. and most of us have never played there. Managed to get a hold of them after the half as we worked out their green. Solid win.

Not looking forward to the rain tomorrow as I reckon we'd have the upper hand on Hoppers. With all the rain, our greens are suffering a bit. Too much rain and not enough sun. But we're not alone there.
We've got a couple of ex Keilor players at the Marsh this year.

Sports were in our section last year. I'm assuming they'll get relegated again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That'd be Sam and Clemo.

You tell 'em Josh's dad said they're a bunch of hacks :p.

Clemo bowling with an arm?
I'm in their rink.

No arm mate, he doesn't need one the way he bowled last weekend.

I reckon he put in 3 bowls outside a metre all day.

Also, is your son at Sunbury now?

I'm in their rink.

No arm mate, he doesn't need one the way he bowled last weekend.

I reckon he put in 3 bowls outside a metre all day.
Glad to hear it. He was having some back issues a couple of years ago and was trying an arm about a year or so ago when I saw him last.

You guys are well stocked if Clemo's leading for you. Very good draw bowler.

Sam was very good with my son and very patient and encouraging.

You'll always get plenty of laughs bowling with those two.

Glad to hear it. He was having some back issues a couple of years ago and was trying an arm about a year or so ago when I saw him last.

You guys are well stocked if Clemo's leading for you. Very good draw bowler.

Sam was very good with my son and very patient and encouraging.

You'll always get plenty of laughs bowling with those two.
Sam mentioned your son last week on the trip up. Spoke glowingly.

They're joined at the hip those two. 😂

Coming up to finals how is everyone going this year ? If we can get two points in our last game we should be good for the four , win and we get the double chance. Team to beat is Victoria who have only lost once this year and that was by a point. Weather has been good so the greens in Ballarat have been running pretty decent.

Where did you end up Sqotty ? Heard a few cheesed off players from Geelong this year mainly about the reduction to eight a division next year and premiers reverting back to four rinks.
Went to Eastern park.
They're reputation is fantastic.
Reality has been God awful greens.
Pathetic selection.
Below any standard leadership.
And the league is shoddy.
Helping players of lesser talent non existent.
THE GEELONG LEAGUE
Clubs are watering greens to advantage.
There is minimal cohesion between clubs.
Players abandon clubs yearly.
League will cancel pennant rather than move to plastic.
Clubs refuse to make a strong league and only care about themselves.
Distinct lack of betterment of the game, which is struggling for numbers.
All clubs say "but every other club does that"

Completely lacking the heart and community feeling of country clubs and associations.

I absolutely have detested the dumb decision I've made playing in this city.
Will never bowl again unless I return to a country club and happy to travel to vindicate my feelings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back