Review Round 20 = Collingwood 76-93 Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Adams only had five kicks (one of them a goal), so can’t have turned it over too frequently. He wasn’t bad tonight. He was invisible.

And Moore delivered some magnificent passes. Hopefully next time he’ll try something different by aiming for teammates.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Adams seemed to play largely as a forward. Wasn't his best night but not sure where the big knocks are coming from. The midfield is where we struggled.

Moore's kicking was uncharacteristically poor all night. Cost us at least two goals directly.

He's not exactly about to publicly dissect our weaknesses despairingly in detail over a tub of ice-cream and a bottle of red in the post match presser.

I'm not sure what you're expecting him to say?

I mean…backing up his talk would be a start?

If you’re gonna continually use the term selection integrity, then show it

I don't like the structure of the side were playing at the moment. 2 weeks in a row we seemed a bit slow and tall, especially in the forward line. When there are so many tall options we tend to bomb it in rather than lowering the eyes. Reminds me of the old buckley play style.

I'd be dropping cox for a smaller player like AJ and WHE for Hill.

Do you think Fly is omnipotent?

I'd think he's trying, this is only our first loss in 7 rounds.

Ok and?

We’ve been gradually playing worse and worse since the Gold Coast game.

Winning most of the games doesn’t change the fact.

No way that comment goes without a response, two flags in 60 years says it all.....

Here, you dropped these.

You Win Runner Up GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure Titch and Tay can play in the same side with their current form. Between them, Pendles and Sidey we lose a lot of leg speed.

Also, I'm a big Mason fan, and he still might factor into our plans, however, Frampton is a better ruck and can free up Darcy Moore to play more attacking.

Lastly, and this is going to be unpopular, I believe WHE is in our best 22. He does things that no one except coaches respect e.g. 2-way running, and was in good form before he got injured.

In summary, I think our best side includes these players (in order of importance)

• Hill
  • Frampton
  • WHE

Last edited:
I do have a case for Ginnivan though. He has a knack for getting under the opposition's skin and throwing them off their game. He is very crafty and an accurate shot for goal.
I understand what you are saying, Ginnivan has a knack for ducking under the oppositions' tackling arms and throwing his head back to draw a free kick.
it wont cut it come finals.

The goal wasn’t overturned umpire called it touched, imo it was clearly a goal but hard to overturn.
and this is why the soft call is a form of match fixing as well. Call it a point initially, replay shows it was close but no finger movement and the review guy chooses to be a pussy and goes with "inconclusive evidence". Absolute farce. Plus all the soft Curnow goals from free kicks and you know this game was a fix. We certainly didn't help with our shocking football, maybe we were in on the fix too! Blues at $3.20 was pretty good value.

Disappointing night, but Carlton were the better team and deserved the win.

We did ourselves no favours with poor kicking in front of goal and higher than average turnovers. Carlton's a strong contested ball and stoppage team, and they beat us well in these areas.

Apart from Howe, Cameron and maybe De Goey who did a good job on Cripps, I think everyone else was below their usual standards. One thing that was noticeable and the same thing happened against Brisbane earlier in the year was us pressing up the ground too high which allowed Carlton easy goals out the back with spare players on their own.

Our top 2 leading goal kickers (Mihocek and Elliott) did not kick a goal between them this evening. I'm struggling to think of the last time when that happened prior to this match.

Howe was a shining light and it's given us another option up forward. I think Cox is now in serious danger of losing his spot in the senior side. I can see a scenario where Frampton is brought in at Cox's expense and sent to the backline to fill Howe's defensive position, and Howe himself will spend more time up forward in the future.

We're in a dilemma at the moment as to who our best 22 (or 23) is. It's testament to our great depth that we're spoilt for choice, but I think we need to identify the right combination sooner rather than later and stick with it. I'm not sure if the coaching staff know themselves what the best team is if all things are equal.

There's no need to panic as we're still on top of the ladder and it rests in our hands when it comes to ensuring we get a home Qualifying Final. Fly has said numerous times it's all about first qualifying for the finals, then qualifying for top 4 and then qualifying for the top 2. We've ticked off 2 of those 3 objectives already.

Last edited:
5 kicks and 4 inside 50s. It's not unusual for any player to miss those and they aren't big impact.

I'd prefer he was playing as a mid as he did the last two games, but he did not have a heavily negative impact on tonight's game.
Quoting myself because that's cool.

I've checked the CBAs for the game and they make for interesting reading. I'm going to walk back this comment.

CBAs:
JDG: 25
Nick: 19
Pendles: 15
Mitchell: 14
Adams: 11

Adams only 3 less than Mitchell and just 3 less than he had last week, so he should have done better than he did.

Think if Mitchell plays he needs to have more than our 4th highest CBAs. Problem is they are being split with Adams and can't play them together in the square.

Long drive home for me, so plenty of time to reflect.

We looked flat apart from the first 10 minutes.. I'd suggest a combination from the big game last week, in the wet, short break, milestone games..& inaccuracy in front of goal tonight killed us.

Definitely missed some pizzazz out there tonight..A bit of Bobby, AJ, Ginni magic..something. Needed some star power.

Billy's MOTY deserved a goal & Howe in the last was 👌

But on a positive, I think we're learning who is part of our best 23, which is what these games should be about.

Last but not least, Curnow is a big fat umpire's pet. No wonder he's leading the Coleman.

And I hope the bloke who put a mill on Collingwood winning was a Blues supporter who placed the bet when he hated his own team.

OTTNO

Definitely missed some pizzazz out there tonight..A bit of Bobby, AJ, Ginni magic..something. Needed some star power.
Agree- and every time one of our blokes tried to spark something, it just didn't take tonight. Not even Nick, Josh or Jamie.
Simply could not get any magic going.

Crisp 0 CBA this game. Seems like an obvious answer to add pace, competitiveness and spread to our midfield. Has been good in defence, but think we need him in the square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back