Fixture Full 2024 AFL fixture released. News and leaks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully the crows dodge tassie, darwin, alice and ballarat. we have copped it the past 2 years. more MCG and Docklands games please.

The 2020 fixture was released on October 31st.
Since then Covid obviously threw a spanner in the works.

My recollection is pre 2020 the fixture being released at the latest very early November, the AFL trying to most likely steal some lime light from the Melb Cup.

Would like to think the full fixture could be released as early as Friday next week but I will not hold my breath.

not that it means anything for timing, but last year they released the 2023 fixture in early December.
Over the last 5-10 years it has gone from the full fixture being released in the last week of October to half a fixture being released in early December.

probably because trade week and draft have been supercharged.
Trade period has been shorter than what it was before then.

Over the last 5-10 years it has gone from the full fixture being released in the last week of October to half a fixture being released in early December.
Yep, last two years the fixtures has been released around 9 December.

The 2021 fixture was released just before xmas.

The pre covid 2020 fixture was released 31 Oct.

There is talk the fixture will be revealed before December this year with COVID lock downs pretty much 100% certain not to happen.

From a Crows perspective I'd love more games in Melbourne at either Marvel or MCG instead of the regional venues.
While the Grand Final is played there, every team (yep, all 18 of them) should get 3 (and only 3) regular season away games at the MCG, every year.

Apparently the Herald Sun had some today but its being a pay wall.

Sounds like we are starting with 4 games.

Lions v Blues
Suns v Tigers
Giants v Pies
Swans v Dees

Then a full round the following week starting with Blues v Tigers.

Gf rematch Easter Thursday obviously.
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

While the Grand Final is played there, every team (yep, all 18 of them) should get 3 (and only 3) regular season away games at the MCG, every year.
Yep. Been saying it for years. But this would mean a return of Vic Park (Collingwood), Optus Oval (Carlton), Windy Hill (Essendon), Whitten Oval (Bulldogs), Waverley (Hawthorn), St Kilda (Morabbin). Melbourne, North and Richmond to share Marvel or build their own ovals. MCG should only be used as a match of the round type game. Teams to all play 3 games there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure it will be a split round.
I think Round 1 will have 4 games followed by 9 games in Round 2.
The number of games played will balance come the Bye weeks.

A split round 1 would be the ultimate dumb idea by the AFL.
that's equally as dumb

Report that the first 15 rounds will be locked in then the remainder later in the season with a floating fixture. Looks like Thursday night games will continue to be a go, too.

The league is expected to again lock in the first 15 or so rounds of the schedule for clarity then have a floating component to maximise blockbusters in the back-end of the season.

Yep. Been saying it for years. But this would mean a return of Vic Park (Collingwood), Optus Oval (Carlton), Windy Hill (Essendon), Whitten Oval (Bulldogs), Waverley (Hawthorn), St Kilda (Morabbin). Melbourne, North and Richmond to share Marvel or build their own ovals. MCG should only be used as a match of the round type game. Teams to all play 3 games there.
No, you've misread. 3 AWAY games. That implies 54 matches. This means at least 3-4 teams have to play their home games there. Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Richmond, and raffle the rest. Carlton, Essendon, whatever.

If every team is to play 3 AWAY games at the MCG, SOMEONE has to be the home team.

More Thursday night games and the floating fixture again post round 15.

Bravo AFL bravo.......
Thursday night are great for TV but always about 10k short for crowds

I disagree.
To accomplish 3 for every single team would be very difficult without compromising the fixture even more so.

End of the day, there's 4 "Full time" MCG tenants in Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn, plus the part time Carlton (Sure, Essendon plays a few there, but almost exclusively vs big Victorian opposition)

From an equality stand point, every team should get 2 games at the MCG, with a small chance you can pick one up in your double up games.

I do get where you're coming from though. So I'd compromise and go 'Every club which played finals the previous year will get at least 3 games at the MCG, whereas, all other teams get 2 games minimum at the MCG' Or is my problem is I'm too logical. I should be going hard (what you're suggesting) with the ultimate goal of 'compromising' with my suggestion

I am not sure it will be a split round.
I think Round 1 will have 4 games followed by 9 games in Round 2.
The number of games played will balance come the Bye weeks.

A split round 1 would be the ultimate dumb idea by the AFL.
FFS - So those 8 teams get 2 byes while the rest of the league only gets 1?

**** off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back