News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Toy Story Goodbye GIF

Sam Hayes and Jordon Sweet AFL Stats Comparison

We deleted Sam Hayes to replace him with a guy with an almost identical AFL record.

I mean Sweet did dominate VFL this year.. so maybe he's coming good. Fingers crossed.
Sweet wouldn't have dominated the VFL if he'd been left to rot in a forward pocket while some state league blow in spud led the ruck instead.

Just closing another shitty chapter on this shitty story.

One of my biggest criticism of the treatment of Hayes was how terribly thought out it all was though. We were left without a ruck in potential window years because we gave up all our options (Ladhams, Ryder, Frampton, etc), and didn't recruit anybody at AFL level when there were many available. We essentially put all of our eggs in the Sam Hayes basket, then just ignored him anyway, ruining our forward line by putting Finlayson in there, or running a well past it Scott Lycett in to the ground. We even went so far as to pick up Narkle over Naismith, then didn't play Narkle either. Its just been a bizarre ride.

So from a Port perspective we certainly look to be in the best position we have for a very long time ruck-wise going forward, I can't fault them on that, and we've gotten there without selling the farm. Soldo, Sweet and Visentini with Dixon as back up is a ruck division I actually trust.

Sad for Sam himself - he was probably screwed over by the club as much as anyone has been, but on the other hand he has to take some responsibility himself too. If he'd pushed himself both in training and strategically he could still have a career - he should have been doing everything to get out of Port years ago once it was clear that the head muppet was never going to back him in.

I think the other thing to consider with rucks is the impact of the midfield coach.

For the most part this year we refused to play the part-time garbage that took us to 11th last season, and gave up on Teakle very quickly as we should have. Carr definitely seems a much better midfield coach than Monty was (who I think is really only ever going to make it as a defensive line coach), and he seems to value rucks way more than we did at least last year.

It makes me wonder how much Josh has pushed the moves to developing the ruck division this off-season - Sweet for example said that he was speaking with him from pretty early on.

If he is as good or promising as some posters on here have you believe i find it amusing that 17 other clubs havent knocked his door down with offers.

Limited ruckman who is vfl bound at best.
How do you know other clubs aren't after him? Nobody had any wind of Fantasia to Carlton until it was announced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just you, this is a very common argument, but this line of argument about players is really flawed.

He won our SANFL B&F just 2 years ago. His tapwork is clearly high level. He had plenty of promise, but when a club with a godawful ruck division plays him out of position in the SANFL and then has to have their arm twisted off to pick him, teams shy away.

A player not being successful under Ken Hinkley doesn't mean they might not have been successful elsewhere or wouldn't be successful in a good program. Our development of talls over the past decade has been absolutely horrendous.
or alternatively he's just not very good and the system has worked that out.

I've never read any article anywhere that has any team remotely interested in him at any stage in his career.

If he is as good or promising as some posters on here have you believe i find it amusing that 17 other clubs havent knocked his door down with offers.

Limited ruckman who is vfl bound at best.

More amusing that he was left to rot for a whopping six years, at which point the esteemed and highly-regarded head coach preferred to play a shuffling husk with one fetlock in the knackery.

Just a symphony of elite list management.

Hopefully my membership money goes directly into Hinkley, Davies and Cripps’ pocket.

Donuts is a poor coach in finals there is no denying it but far out I swear some of you will blame him for an over cooked turkey on Xmas day.

Sam Hayes wasn’t good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Perhaps he wasn't good enough to forge a career at AFL level, but he was still a better option than the overcooked (Lycett) and raw (Teakle) turkeys who were being selected ahead of him when available.

More amusing that he was left to rot for a whopping six years, at which point the esteemed and highly-regarded head coach preferred to play a shuffling husk with one fetlock in the knackery.

Just a symphony of elite list management.

Hopefully my membership money goes directly into Hinkley, Davies and Cripps’ pocket.
Very nice. Very nice, indeed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back