Vale Neville 'Chicken' Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Port Adelaide Football Club mourns the passing of eight-time premiership player and club life member Neville Hayes who passed away on Wednesday at the age of 88.

Hayes played predominantly as a defender in Port Adelaide’s golden era representing the club in 217 games from 1953 to 1965.

Hayes, who was affectionately known as “Chicken”, won two club best-and-fairest awards and is a member of Port Adelaide’s greatest ever team and the South Australian Football Hall of Fame.

He also represented South Australia in 21 State games.

PLAYING RECORD​

• 217 games and 58 goals for Port Adelaide, 1953 – 1965

PREMIERSHIPS​

• Member of premiership teams for Port Adelaide, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1962, 1963

MATCHES FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA​

ACHIEVEMENTS​

• Tomkins Medallist 1952
  • Best and fairest for Port Adelaide 1957, 1960
  • Player life member of Port Adelaide 1962
  • Player life member of SANFL
Neville C. Hayes - SANFL

I remember hearing an interview with Neville Hayes and he joked about how Port had 3 handballs in the 1967 grand final, he had two of them and Fos had never forgiven him :p

One of South Australian football’s most successful players, Port Adelaide great Neville “Chicken” Hayes, has died.
Hayes, who lined up in eight premierships across 217 games during a golden era for the club from 1953-65, passed away on Wednesday after a short illness.He was 88.
Hayes was an uncompromising half-back flanker who played in all of Port Adelaide’s national record six consecutive flags from 1954-59, represented South Australia 21 times and won two club best-and-fairest awards (1957, 1960).
His other accolades include being selected in Port Adelaide’s Greatest Team, as well as being a member of the club and South Australian football’s halls of fame.
Port Adelaide chief executive Matthew Richardson said Hayes was a remarkable player. “When you think of Port Adelaide’s golden era through the ‘50s and ‘60s, you think of Chicken Hayes,” Richardson said. “In later years, Neville remained connected with the club and his teammates, and we loved hearing his stories. “He was a great character, passionate about his football club and never missed a game on TV. “The Port Adelaide Football Club extends its heartfelt condolences to Margaret, Nina, Sally, Kara and the entire Hayes family during this time.”

AFL Team Port Adelaide Hall of Fame inductees L to R Geof Motley, Neville Hayes (in chair) [PLAYERCARD]Warren Tredrea[/PLAYERCARD], Paul Northeast and Mark Clayton (Son of Bob Clayton – Mark accepted on his behalf as Bob has passed) and Mark Williams.

Chicken was his middle name on his birth certificate. A relative rang in to explain his unusual name.
I hope I've got this right but his mother was known as Chick and died at birth having twins.

Chicken was his middle name on his birth certificate. A relative rang in to explain his unusual name.
I hope I've got this right but his mother was known as Chick and died at birth having twins.
Jack on AA suggested his middle name was "Chick".

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

One of South Australian football’s most successful players, Port Adelaide great Neville “Chicken” Hayes, has died.
Hayes, who lined up in eight premierships across 217 games during a golden era for the club from 1953-65, passed away on Wednesday after a short illness.He was 88.
Hayes was an uncompromising half-back flanker who played in all of Port Adelaide’s national record six consecutive flags from 1954-59, represented South Australia 21 times and won two club best-and-fairest awards (1957, 1960).
His other accolades include being selected in Port Adelaide’s Greatest Team, as well as being a member of the club and South Australian football’s halls of fame.
Port Adelaide chief executive Matthew Richardson said Hayes was a remarkable player. “When you think of Port Adelaide’s golden era through the ‘50s and ‘60s, you think of Chicken Hayes,” Richardson said. “In later years, Neville remained connected with the club and his teammates, and we loved hearing his stories. “He was a great character, passionate about his football club and never missed a game on TV. “The Port Adelaide Football Club extends its heartfelt condolences to Margaret, Nina, Sally, Kara and the entire Hayes family during this time.”

AFL Team Port Adelaide Hall of Fame inductees L to R Geof Motley, Neville Hayes (in chair) Warren Tredrea, Paul Northeast and Mark Clayton (Son of Bob Clayton – Mark accepted on his behalf as Bob has passed) and Mark Williams.
Just "Wow!!!".

Talk about Australian Football royalty - there's a few famous families represented there.
Motley, Hayes, Tredrea, Clayton, Williams (and Northa).
Sheesh........ makes one tear up to see such a cavalcade of success and elite level performance.

And then I think about what the club has degenerated to now.........

OIP.DoDpmR4-lljiKc-43gVn1QHaEo
OIP.z-8EAXaL_1undjgU7r6M9gHaJ7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chicken Hayes also did some coaching at Woodville High School in the late 50s. He had a beautiful drop kick as did Geof Motley on the other flank. I consider myself privileged to have seen these players play.

Chicken's duels with Bertie Johnson from West Adelaide were legendary. There was a lot of hype around the two players and I am sure that Fos and Knuckles Kerley fed the hype but off the field the two were great mates.

Sad the hear of Chicken's passing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back