News Vale David Granger

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a great article.

And I'm glad Glenelg got a mention. They and their General Manager at the time led the SANFL's vindictive treatment of Granger in the early 80s with the Advertiser's Alan Shiell the compliant publicist. Granger left the game with a cloud over his name he could never shake, while their sniping thug went on to be a SA business icon.
What a brilliant post. So spot on re the thug in question. Posted similar myself over the years. Of course Shiell was a Glenelg supporter. Very convenient.

Can just imagine the scene when Grave Danger walks into school Monday post-GF-victory to take premiership teammate Bruce Abernathy out of school because “leave no man behind”. Who could possibly tell him no?

RIP.
After winning the GF in Pirie he rocked up on Sunday morning at St Anthony's church and took Holy Communion even though he wasn't a Catholic. The priest was a teammate, Fr Bourke!

I don't remember the date in the late 70s but can't forget a game at Unley oval where Dave Grainger went ballistic, taking a handfull of pack marks in the goal square, competing against multiple opponents. He was irrepressible - a great leap accentuated by his Inspector Gadget arms. We lost the game narrowly but it demonstrated Grainger's pure football ability.
While walking my dog Spike around the Woodville Pk area Dave described him as a 'magnificent beast' making Grainger a hero amongst the female members of my family who are completely disinterested in football.
RIP Mr Grainger.

On SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very, very sad news.

The gutter press continued to hound David over the so called "behind the ball incident" when he cracked Cornes one but they conveniently fail to mention that it was Cornes who sprinted over to David after he, Cornes, had come off the bench, and started pushing and abusing Granger. David didn't put up with that sort of s**t so he cracked him one. Those who were there, like me, saw it all unfold.

Granger would have walked into any AFL side then and now. He was a superb footballer who was vilified during and after his playing career.

Rest in peace David.

RIP Dave.

I remember him kicking 5 goals in the last quarter at Unley one game in the late 70's. We went from being smashed to only losing by a couple. He had many games like this where for patches of the game he was unstoppable.
Yeah I remember that, took a couple of big hangers in the goal square.

From reading this thread and the comments on FB, there are so many people with fond memories of him, not just as a footballer but from personal day-to-day encounters. He sounds like a very kind and genuine bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be absolutely disgraceful if they didn’t.
I think round 1 last year they had a bit of a tribute to ex players who had passed over the summer.
Well, there's been a few ex-players and administrators who have passed away since our last game played in anger, so yes, I hope they do have a collective black armband tribute for those club icons.

The club should publicise it in the media as well, so everyone knows what it's for.

Proper. Right. Fitting. Deserved.

I knew Dave pretty well during and immediately after his playing career ended. First as a footballer he was a great club man as he always had time for the average supporter. I also knew David as the groundsman at the Underdale Campus of the SACAE now UniSA.

In one of the finals encounters against the Bays Studley Cornes lined up Bucky Cunningham on the outer wing. He missed but David didn't miss and he put Twiggy Caldwell into orbit. When the players went up to Channel Nine studios the following day David was heard to have a laugh at hitting Caldwell. That comment was overheard by Harry Kernahan and his mates and the Bays lodged a complaint and David was charged after the fact. One of the first such charges laid and the fore runner of the video reporting system.

I remember that game at Unley when there was close to 18,000 packed into that small ground and I also remember a game against North at Alberton when David booted 5 goals from CHF. He had a great pair of hands and a good kick.

I always found Dave Granger to be a pleasant guy and very easy to talk to. I am deeply saddened by his passing.

Belts, bumps & brilliance: the mad genius of David Granger...

That's a great montage, loved the old night football clips and his appearance on the Sunday Footy Show after the 81 grand final where he put the Bays to the sword and put the wind up Cunningham.

Dave was a tough player but there were some rubbish free kicks paid against him because of his reputation.

He was also a well read guy who could talk well and thoughtfully on many topics. He gave his thoughts on Glenelg very clearly.

Great to see two Port Adelaide warriors Granger and Light together in a special moment. Two Port legends taken far too soon.

Very, very sad news.

The gutter press continued to hound David over the so called "behind the ball incident" when he cracked Cornes one but they conveniently fail to mention that it was Cornes who sprinted over to David after he, Cornes, had come off the bench, and started pushing and abusing Granger. David didn't put up with that sort of s**t so he cracked him one. Those who were there, like me, saw it all unfold.

Granger would have walked into any AFL side then and now. He was a superb footballer who was vilified during and after his playing career.

Rest in peace David.
No hounding of the thug Salisbury or the Phillis brother thugs or the Stringers either. They all committed worse acts than Dave ever did, particularly Salisbury. KG, the dickhead hipocrite Kernihan and others should hang their heads in shame.

That's a great montage, loved the old night football clips and his appearance on the Sunday Footy Show after the 81 grand final where he put the Bays to the sword and put the wind up Cunningham.

Dave was a tough player but there were some rubbish free kicks paid against him because of his reputation.

He was also a well read guy who could talk well and thoughtfully on many topics. He gave his thoughts on Glenelg very clearly.

Great to see two Port Adelaide warriors Granger and Light together in a special moment. Two Port legends taken far too soon.
Hey Ford. Absolutely brilliant. Absolutely cherish those moments.

No hounding of the thug Salisbury or the Phillis brother thugs or the Stringers either. They all committed worse acts than Dave ever did, particularly Salisbury. KG, the dickhead hipocrite Kernihan and others should hang their heads in shame.

It was funny seeing Cornes's career reduced to crying about every single thing Dave did whenever we played Glenelg.

Belts, bumps & brilliance: the mad genius of David Granger...

Can't bloody like this enough!

Sound like an old campaigner now but footy was so good back then.

Had a boys dinner last night, and we agreed the thing most missing from footy these days is the marking. The beautiful pack marks. Feels like a skill that has almost gone from the game.

It was funny seeing Cornes's career reduced to crying about every single thing Dave did whenever we played Glenelg.
42 years later and he is still whining about it.
No mention of Fred Phillis trying to take Tim Evans head off 77 Grand Final Wayne Phillis trying to knock Brian Cunningham out Salisbury on Greg Anderson Alan Stringer one of the most gutless players you would ever see ******* hypocrites.

I knew Dave pretty well during and immediately after his playing career ended. First as a footballer he was a great club man as he always had time for the average supporter. I also knew David as the groundsman at the Underdale Campus of the SACAE now UniSA.

In one of the finals encounters against the Bays Studley Cornes lined up Bucky Cunningham on the outer wing. He missed but David didn't miss and he put Twiggy Caldwell into orbit. When the players went up to Channel Nine studios the following day David was heard to have a laugh at hitting Caldwell. That comment was overheard by Harry Kernahan and his mates and the Bays lodged a complaint and David was charged after the fact. One of the first such charges laid and the fore runner of the video reporting system.

I remember that game at Unley when there was close to 18,000 packed into that small ground and I also remember a game against North at Alberton when David booted 5 goals from CHF. He had a great pair of hands and a good kick.

I always found Dave Granger to be a pleasant guy and very easy to talk to. I am deeply saddened by his passing.
I can certainly attest to that action by Cornes to put Bucky into the nearby lake as it happened right in front of me. The Caldwell incident happened, I guess in retaliation to Cornesy trying to launch Bucky. I can recollect that pandemonium reined after that hit by David,
I could imagine that Graham Cornes would always admit that he was a fair player but Bucky was fortunate that he had the skills to dodge any incoming unfriendly fire. Cornsey was a dirty Bay campaigner and he certainly had a few mates!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back