Vale Ron Elleway

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew Ron well when he played bowls for Hindmarsh. He lived in Ferryden Park when he played footy and never lost his affinity for the PAFC.

Ron Elleway came down from the Riverland in 1961 with a reputation as a ruckman, but as he had done with John Abley, Foster made him into a full back. In his first few games some of Ron's kick ins were horrible but his kicking suddenly improved and there was no stopping him.

Ron played 204 games for Port between 1961 and 1971.

Vale Lurch and thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
Me and a few Westies supporter mates played 8 ball against Ron Elleway and the late Dennis Errey at a pub in the city the night before the Maggies 1977 gf win.

I was very nervous about losing another gf after the 1976 let down, but they both reassured me that we had this one in the bag.

They were both top blokes!

Last edited:

That is sad news. Another connection to a great era gone. Among my first memories of Port Adelaide football was big Lurch at full back.

RIP Ron Elleway.

---------

1ad3b.REllewayPAdel.jpg

Few players typified Port coach Fos Williams’s ethos better than Berri recruit Ron Elleway, who took in his stride the daunting task of stepping into the shoes of triple All Australian full back John Abley, going on to play 204 games for the Magpies plus 9 state games between 1961 and 1971. Later in his career the 193cm, slimly built Elleway sometimes played as a ruckman, but it is as a hard bumping, dogged, ultra-miserly full back that he is undoubtedly best remembered.

Extremely adept in the air, and surprisingly quick on the ground, Elleway was also a superb, seemingly effortless left foot kick. In interstate matches he formed an effective partnership with Sturt’s 1966 All Australian back pocket player, Brenton Adcock, an alliance which in some ways resembled that of the 1980s and ‘90s Port Adelaide pair Roger Delaney and George Fiacchi. At Port Adelaide, Elleway’s main defensive partner was Bob Fabian until his retirement in 1965, and thereafter 1967 Magarey Medallist Trevor Obst.

Whether by chance or through a deliberate process of cultivation, Elleway tended to look every bit as fierce as he was. Indeed, Peter McConnell’s memorable description of Elleway as resembling the character Lurch from The Addams Family TV series is actually uncannily accurate.

Australian Football - Ron Elleway - Player Bio

That is sad news. Another connection to a great era gone. Among my first memories of Port Adelaide football was big Lurch at full back.

RIP Ron Elleway.

---------

1ad3b.REllewayPAdel.jpg

Few players typified Port coach Fos Williams’s ethos better than Berri recruit Ron Elleway, who took in his stride the daunting task of stepping into the shoes of triple All Australian full back John Abley, going on to play 204 games for the Magpies plus 9 state games between 1961 and 1971. Later in his career the 193cm, slimly built Elleway sometimes played as a ruckman, but it is as a hard bumping, dogged, ultra-miserly full back that he is undoubtedly best remembered.

Extremely adept in the air, and surprisingly quick on the ground, Elleway was also a superb, seemingly effortless left foot kick. In interstate matches he formed an effective partnership with Sturt’s 1966 All Australian back pocket player, Brenton Adcock, an alliance which in some ways resembled that of the 1980s and ‘90s Port Adelaide pair Roger Delaney and George Fiacchi. At Port Adelaide, Elleway’s main defensive partner was Bob Fabian until his retirement in 1965, and thereafter 1967 Magarey Medallist Trevor Obst.

Whether by chance or through a deliberate process of cultivation, Elleway tended to look every bit as fierce as he was. Indeed, Peter McConnell’s memorable description of Elleway as resembling the character Lurch from The Addams Family TV series is actually uncannily accurate.

Australian Football - Ron Elleway - Player Bio
Remember him for his lovely kick outs that would leave todays footballers for dead.
Him and Bubbles Obst made a great team with Obst the only back pocket player to ever to win the Medal.
A lot of great names pass on but there memories live forever.

Ron Elleway was my favourite Port player. So much that when I was given my first long sleeve, in about1964, we put a number 4 on the back using black electrical tape.
Decades later I met my idol at the Regency Tavern. I was working nearby, and Ron was a regular there.
I was as awestruck then, as a grown man, as I was as as a little kid, watching the big #4 drop-kicking out from fullback with that powerful left leg of his.
RIP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me who they are please.

I remember sitting behind the goals on a number of occasions. Ron seemed so tall and calm and competent.
Russell Ebert, Bruce Light, Peter Yeo (I think), Neville Thiele and Ron Elleway.

It looks like a Riverland theme with the oranges, so it may not be Yeo.

Loved watching Ron and Bubbles on the last line of defence.
Almost impassable duo.
Ron was such a great kick too.

Remember one arvo at Elizabeth oval v the Dogs. Every time they scored a point, Ron would kick out with a 55m dob to a waiting Dean Farnham.
Russell Ebert and Keith Spencer took turns to use Farnham as a stepladder to take multiple "hangers" standing on his shoulders from the kick-ins.

Great days.🤪😃

Vale Ron.

Another legend ascends to the pantheon of great Port players!

As far as I'm aware Neville is still with us, not sure about Yeo but he may be as well.

I believe Peter is still with us, living in Queensland. Has been a paraplegic since a fall in his Noosa home in 2002.

I knew Ron well and went to his funeral today. He was a great guy, larger than life till the end, didn’t suffer fools but had a heart of gold and always willing to help people out. I didn’t much like the Magpies (they were too good) but had a soft spot because of Ron.

He’ll be greatly missed.

Last edited:

Those were the days

Ron Elleway arrived in his Volkswagen from Monash in the Riverland to maintain the tradition of uncompromising defenders setting the standard for Fos Williams' teams during the 1960s when Port Adelaide played in seven consecutive SANFL grand finals from 1962.

Those were the days

Ron Elleway arrived in his Volkswagen from Monash in the Riverland to maintain the tradition of uncompromising defenders setting the standard for Fos Williams' teams during the 1960s when Port Adelaide played in seven consecutive SANFL grand finals from 1962.

Good picture with Bubbles in it with him.
So many great memories especially on Anzac Day Adelaide Oval.
We was so lucky to be around to see those days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back