Toast Vale Geof Motley

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a mention on the AFL socials at all that I can see. Poor.
Sort of why I mentioned Barassi and him being contemporaries in my first post in this thread. I knew the VFL Media team would ignore it - and Ronald Dale correctly got plenty of acknowledgement.

Mots would hang out at a belair shopping centre cafe for a coffee with mates telling stories and acknowledged with a friendly hello to any passerbys. He was very good mates with the proprietor an ex jockey. His daughter later would drive him to this venue. He was at home in this sort of environment - no pretence or fanfare. A humble person of the people.

What an honour it must be to wear the no. 17 jumper knowing it was Geof's.

17 - Tom Clurey, Robbie Gray, Stuart Dew, Nigel Fiegert, Paul Rizonico, Martin Leslie, Kym Curtis, Peter Woite, Geof Motley, Norman Davis

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 - Tom Clurey. Robbie Gray, Stuart Dew, Nigel Fiegert, Paul Rizonico, Martin Leslie, Kym Curtis, Peter Woite, Geof Motley, Norman Davis

Martin Leslie always springs to mind.

The Front Bar acknowledged Mots passing at the start of their last segment. Still nothing from the VFL Media guys and girls.

That pic looks like it may have been taken in 1959 after Mots was playing coach for the Maggies 6th flag in a row.
The dark haired player on the right is definitely Ted Whelan but I can't recall who the bloke is with Geof on his shoulders, or the one behind him on the left.
Wally Ditmar at the left rear but also unable to pick the player with Motley on his shoulders. I was there but behind the goal posts at the northern end. Marrett?? Some research needed.

Wally Ditmar at the left rear but also unable to pick the player with Motley on his shoulders. I was there but behind the goal posts at the northern end. Marrett?? Some research needed.
Well done RJ, I came close to referencing you as someone who would probably know, and was almost certainly in attendance.
That is Wally Ditmar on the left, and the bloke with Geof on his shoulders could be Bob? Marrett.

After his retirement Motley said: “We played on the basis that we could not possibly let down the followers of the Port Adelaide Football Club - the greatest gift we could give them was a premiership.”

Legendary Port Adelaide player and administrator Bob McLean once described Motley as one of the fairest players he had seen.

“You name it and Geof Motley did it in a long and distinguished career with Port Adelaide,” McLean said.

“He had wonderful balance and was one of those players rarely seen on the ground. He was also an umpires’ delight, if there was such a footballer. Never was he reported, nor did he dispute the umpire’s decision, he simply got on with the game playing it hard but fairly.”

The great Fos Williams who played with and coached Motley described him as “the most reliable footballer”.

“He is the first player I think of when asked to name the player who provided confidence and loyalty at Port Adelaide,” Williams once said.

“He was a most reliable footballer whether at half-forward or half-back.”

Geof Motley
250 games 1953 to 1966
156 goals
28 State games, six State goals
Nine premierships as a player (1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1965)
Four best-and-fairest awards (1958, 1959, 1963, 1965)
1964 Magarey Medallist
Captain 1959-66
Coach 1959-61
Australian Football Hall of Fame
South Australian Football Hall of Fame
Port Adelaide’s greatest team [+ Port Adelaide Hall of Fame]

Vale_GeofMotley.jpg
Not signed. I would think this is Rucci’s.

He bloody knows it, but he has sold his soul.

Not signed. I would think this is Rucci’s.

He bloody knows it, but he has sold his soul.
He put his name to an article a couple of day's later the one I linked at post #49 and i quoted the last bit about when Geoff became Geof part.

If you had to describe Geof in one word I’d go for tough.
He just went straight at the ball 100% at every contest.
It would be hard to imagine a better defender to ever play the game and definitely the best half back flanker of all time.
I don’t think there has ever been a man who typified the Port Adelaide spirit more than Geof Motley.
He’s a true Port Adelaide and South Australian legend forever.
RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back