Fixture Mens 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

We will know what sort of team we’ll be in 24 after round 1.
No the hell we won't, you can't make any judgement calls after Round 1, it's way too early, especially against the previous season's grand finalists.

Just no. We'll know what kind of team we are by around Round 7 or 8

While I wish this was true, it simply isn't. If you look at individual games from 2023, you could draw about 5 different conclusions depending on the game chosen. Even in 2022, we scraped past Adelaide in Round 1. Carlton and GWS showed that you can improve significantly over a season. We simply need to find a way to win even when not at our best. Carlton at least had 5.5 wins by R15 before winning their next 5 to jump into the 8. We need consistency across games which will be impossible to tell after R1.
Even though we took a slight dip afterwards before coming back up..we all knew after rd 1 2012 we were a serious outfit beating Geelong.

We are playing a contender, but it’s at home. We need to win this to get the season started properly.

AFL: hey let's showcase NSW & Sydney clubs by announcing that we're having a round zero there.

ALSO AFL: hey let's showcase SA clubs by announcing that we're having a Gather Round there.

ALSO ALSO AFL: hey let's showcase the NT by announcing that we're having some games there.

ALSO ALSO ALSO AFL: nah don't worry Victoria, you'll still get your traditional season opening round. We haven't forgotten about you.

1700011254210.png

Love how we're celebrating the fact that we're playing at home in round 1 for the first time in 5 years as a win.

In our recent history 10,12,13,15 and 22. The years we played finals, we won our opening games.
in 2023
6/8 finalists won their opening games
2022: 6/8
2021: 4/8
2020: 4/8
2019: 5/8

I'm not saying that a win won't show us as a finalist. However, a loss doesn't mean much either (if its close). Most of the finalists who did not win their opening games, lost to other finalists. Add in the fact that this is the first year of Opening Round, 1 game will simply be too early to call outside of a 60+ shellacking. The first 5 games given we know that Carlton (neutral) and Brisbane (home) is included, alongside a derby probably, will be a good indicator. If injuries or a hard fixture is unleashed, this 5 game metric may change. That's sorta the problem with footy, there is no reliable predictor of success, only post game analysis.

Last edited:
in 2023
6/8 finalists won their opening games
2022: 6/8
2021: 4/8
2020: 4/8
2019: 5/8

I'm not saying that a win won't show us as a finalist. However, a loss doesn't mean much either (if its close). Most of the finalists who did not win their opening games, lost to other finalists. Add in the fact that this is the first year of Opening Round, 1 game will simply be too early to call outside of a 60+ shellacking. The first 5 games given we know that Carlton (neutral) and Brisbane (home) is included, alongside a derby probably, will be a good indicator. If injuries or a hard fixture is unleashed, this 5 game metric may change. That's sorta the problem with footy, there is no reliable predictor of success, only post game analysis.
Referring to our history not anyone else’s.

Referring to our history not anyone else’s.
Fremantle have won their first game of the season 12 times:
6/12 have been finals seasons (50%) (97,98,04,05,10,11,12,13,14,15,19,22)

Fremantle have made finals 8 times
2/8 have occurred when the first game of the season was lost (25%) (03,06)

Basically what this suggests is that winning the first game of the season does not necessarily mean finals (in fact it still a coin toss). However there is a correlation between winning the first game of the season and finishing with finals (as would be expected) but there is still distinct possibility of losing the first game and making finals.

Obviously a win against Brisbane would be massive and I don't want to discourage any analysis of our performance in that game. I just want to warn against a black and white measure of success or failure because they rarely exist in reality, especially in sports.

Basically what this suggests is that winning the first game of the season does not necessarily mean finals (in fact it still a coin toss). However there is a correlation between winning the first game of the season and finishing with finals (as would be expected) but there is still distinct possibility of losing the first game and making finals.

Obviously a win against Brisbane would be massive and I don't want to discourage any analysis of our performance in that game. I just want to warn against a black and white measure of success or failure because they rarely exist in reality, especially in sports.
Absolutely agree. But they have been a dominant team over 5 years, if we handle them it will give the team and myself a lot of confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i suppose if we are going to lose our opening game next year, better against the grand finalist than some crab like Saints or North who we will need wins from. Plus, at home, coming off a losing GF, shorter preseason, after they've already played a game, gives us half a chance of an upset I suppose.

2011 & 2019 the last two times we didnt make finals after winning round 1.

Coach has been punted at end of year.

Harvey 2011, Lyon 2019.

Will Longmuir roll the dice this year & win Round 1 but has to make finals to survive.

Finally get a round 1 home game and it's actually round 2 LOL

Play a team off a 9 day break while we would be atleast 2 weeks (20ish days) from our last pre season game (unless they stagnate preseason games)

There should be a non official scratchy between the official one and round one.

The rugby is in Las Vegas that weekend so they are striking while the home owner is out.
They are annoying their entire heartland across several states to try get a few extra people in the gate in Qld and NSW. Most of the extra fans will be Melbourne based supporters of the big clubs that travel up for Labour Day weekend anyway.
People in Gold Coast and western Sydney don’t give a shit about AFL football. This isn’t going to change it.

They are annoying their entire heartland across several states to try get a few extra people in the gate in Qld and NSW. Most of the extra fans will be Melbourne based supporters of the big clubs that travel up for Labour Day weekend anyway.
People in Gold Coast and western Sydney don’t give a s**t about AFL football. This isn’t going to change it.
Unfortunately they know the heartland is rusted on and will continue watching no matter what. Anyway WA is really the only state getting shafted now that we have round zero and gather round. We're bunnies.

The rugby is in Las Vegas that weekend so they are striking while the home owner is out.
Nope, Rugby is in Aus

Gold Coast Titans directly clash with the suns game, both in QLD

They have 2x Vegas games the week before that but the other 6 or so games are here and the same week as "opening round"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back