Restricted Free Agent Hugh McCluggage [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

future captain already one of the highest paid at the club, would be hard for a rival to offer substantially more $$$ than brisbane likely have earmarked for him

id be shocked if he left, but a club like melbourne would kill for a midfielder with his attributes

Can't see him leaving. Brisbane have done an amazing job of attracting and retaining interstate players since the debacles over a decade ago.
I heard he goes to bed wearing his North Melbourne underpants

In all honesty he will only leave during UFA and when Brisbane are not contenders. As a player has plenty of time to money chase futher down the line

future captain already one of the highest paid at the club, would be hard for a rival to offer substantially more $$$ than brisbane likely have earmarked for him

id be shocked if he left, but a club like melbourne would kill for a midfielder with his attributes

Richmond, St Kilda, Essendon and Hawthorn would also kill for an elite mid type like McLuggage

The good news for you is the kiss of death has started this thread, I expect McLug to re-sign with the Lions any day now :)

Richmond, St Kilda, Essendon and Hawthorn would also kill for an elite mid type like McLuggage

The good news for you is the kiss of death has started this thread, I expect McLug to re-sign with the Lions any day now :)
Season 2 Smh GIF by HBO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great time to be a footballer coming into free agency. He's either getting a million a year guaranteed for the next seven to eight years at Brisbane or playing in Melbourne for a side who will pay him about the same on average but can have most of the contract value paid to him in the first two to three years... like Essendon

Great time to be a footballer coming into free agency. He's either getting a million a year guaranteed for the next seven to eight years at Brisbane or playing in Melbourne for a side who will pay him about the same on average but can have most of the contract value paid to him in the first two to three years... like Essendon
I would expect him to extend for only 2 years. I suspect 4-5 years Gabba re-build could have impact on Lions players future plans. No fun to play 4 years at Carrara, Cairns, Springfield or wherever instead of Gabba fortress. For Lions it's time to win premiership now (next 2 years).

I would expect him to extend for only 2 years. I suspect 4-5 years Gabba re-build could have impact on Lions players future plans. No fun to play 4 years at Carrara, Cairns, Springfield or wherever instead of Gabba fortress. For Lions it's time to win premiership now (next 2 years).

Why would a player give up their leverage at the time of signing to risk losing long term security in the event of an injury?

He would still be with the same squad regardless of where he is playing and paid a fortune to do it.

Let's flip that discussion, is it worth $300,000 a season for five years to play at the MCG 14 times a year? I don't think so.

Why would a player give up their leverage at the time of signing to risk losing long term security in the event of an injury?

He would still be with the same squad regardless of where he is playing and paid a fortune to do it.

Let's flip that discussion, is it worth $300,000 a season for five years to play at the MCG 14 times a year? I don't think so.
Looking forward for Ben King re-signing for 8-10 years then :)

Long-term security is only one factor. Plenty of top players extend only for a couple of years for various reasons. Obviously, being premiership contender helps. Just saying Olympics s***t could have an impact.

Looking forward for Ben King re-signing for 8-10 years then :)

Long-term security is only one factor. Plenty of top players extend only for a couple of years for various reasons. Obviously, being premiership contender helps. Just saying Olympics s***t could have an impact.
I would expect Ben King to commit long term or leave at free agency too.

No half step, not to mention the Lions wouldn't want to go through the process again in two years when he'd be an unrestricted free agent and the compensation formula starts working against him.

I would expect Ben King to commit long term or leave at free agency too.

No half step, not to mention the Lions wouldn't want to go through the process again in two years when he'd be an unrestricted free agent and the compensation formula starts working against him.
Ben probably re-signs for 2 years (going against long-term security argument).

I fully expect him to re-sign at the Lions seems happy there and while Brisbane are near the top it will be hard see him leaving.
A lot of clubs will definitely be putting the feelers out though.

I fully expect him to re-sign at the Lions seems happy there and while Brisbane are near the top it will be hard see him leaving.
A lot of clubs will definitely be putting the feelers out though.
Unless they about to fall down the ladder and miss finals or top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back