Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 7 - Cats v Blues Sat April 27th 4:35pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 40 42.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What excuse? Someone asked which players would come in and who would go out and I replied with my own opinion.

Secondly, on our outs it doesn't matter if you don't see the upside. Cerra alone is significant because he balances out the midfield - we were running Cripps/Hewett/Kennedy CBAs at times which is just never going to work. Ability to spread from stoppage and hit up someone i50 improves dramatically with a Cerra in that midfield mix. Docherty similar thing but let's leave him to the side as it is an ACL. McGovern is a far better player than Young and has been our second best defender for two years now. Brilliant user by foot who can open up the game so easily from the HB line - I'm sorry but you do not have a VFL player that would give you that output. Saad is an great one on one defender who is also an incredible kick. Enough said about him. The HF line at the moment is very bare with only E.Hollands available who was great again. Martin, Motlop and Fogarty are better in pretty much all facets of the game than an Owies or Durdin who are depth pieces at the moment.

Lastly, on your comment about our VFL getting smashed meaning we have no one coming through. Let's look at the maths:
  • Carlton have 44 players currently on their AFL list.
  • 23 of them played in the AFL game against Geelong (leaves 21 players)
  • 2 of them were emergencies and were all held over for the AFL game (leaves 19 players)
  • 12 are currently on the injury list (leaves 7 players)

The AFL-listed players that played in the VFL today were:
  • Dom Akuei (academy player - never played AFL)
  • Harry Lemmey (second-year KPP - never played AFL)
  • Billy Wilson (first-year player - never played AFL)
  • Ashton Moit (first-year player - never played AFL)
  • Rob Monahan (first-year recruit from Ireland - never played AFL)
  • Alex Mirkov (ruckman - never played AFL)
  • Hudson O'Keefe (ruckman - never played AFL)

How can a team be competitive with that?
Carlton has injuries that has never happened before

Again, I have identified the excuse. Stop saying you cannot find your excuses. They are really, really easy to find.
You seriously don't know what an excuse is. An excuse is saying we lost because of injuries. An excuse is not explaining why the players currently out would improve the team.

Is Fantasia really best 22?
I mean we have a few players in the VFL killing it at the moment and can't get a game.
Blokes like Fantasia, Cunningham, Motlop, Silvagni . . . they would be around the same mark as those boys.

Saad is class. His creativity opens up the field.
Cerra is excellent but a little the same of what you already have in the middle.
Cerra, Saad, Gov, Doch and (potentially) Martin are the difference makers missing. And Fogarty's forward pressure would be very useful.

Collectively it amounts to more than Stewart missing, Dangerfield going down mid-game after starring and Stanley being rusty in his first game back. But that did leave us with three fairly sizable structural weaknesses today. Without Selwood, leadership alone from the first two is critical.

It isn't apples for apples with Carlton's deep midfield missing Cerra, to Geelong's B-cast losing Dangerfield mid-game.

Stewart missing and our best midfielder going down mid-match (he was somewhat carrying us to that point) leaving us a rotation down a week after a wet slog - that basically cancelled out the 7 Carlton best 22 players missing today. Those are our two leaders and on field generals. This would be like Carlton missing Cripps and Curnow, or Walsh and Weitering.

Our tired legs resulted in consolation goals that made the margin flattering for Carlton.
9 of our best players missing per previous.

That’s not why we lost.

We had 21 more inside 50’s and clearly kicked pretty poorly for goal.

Our lack of efficiency today cost us. 21 more inside 50’s!

Bringing those 9 players back in substantially improves our backline, our team defence, our efficiency across the ground & F50 scoring options.

You seriously don't know what an excuse is. An excuse is saying we lost because of injuries. An excuse is not explaining why the players currently out would improve the team.
You've explained it about a hundred times now and are using it as a disclaimer for the result and the performance. That is what I define as an excuse. You might define it as something different.

So from now, I will say "by my definition of an excuse, this is one". You must be bored talking about it, though?

Great game. Better team lost but it's apparent Carlton lack polish at times and they kicked themselves out of it. Cats did well to take every chance. These look like the 2 best teams in the league rn.
Feels like the 7th week in a row that the better team has lost.

People don't know what they are watching, which I understand because Geelong is playing very different footy. People assume the game is won in the midfield but it's not. It's won with a back six (or seven) structure and making space in the forward line and having the speed to get there first.

I don't think we have seen a Geelong player get a 30 possession game all season, not one. Clearly we are doing something quite unusual and objectively it is working.

That’s not why we lost.

Bringing those 9 players back in substantially improves our backline, our team defence, our efficiency across the ground & F50 options.
7, of which 5 are difference makers but one will be out all season anyway. Bring 4 in and lose Cripps or Curnow, and Carlton face a bigger handicap.

Geelong with Stewart back, Guthrie and Stanley getting a stretch of games (both rusty today), Rohan integrated and Dangerfield in that form able to run out a game will help us too.

That’s not why we lost.

Bringing those 9 players back in substantially improves our backline, our team defence, our efficiency across the ground & F50 scoring options.
Should be a shoe-in next time then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we all can play this bullshit game mate no excuses geelong better on the day
They deserved the win no doubt.

Not sure why “bullshit game” you’re talking about.

We had 21 more inside 50’s - it’s a hard stat to ignore :).

This despite missing 11 of our best team - albeit two gone for the season.

You've explained it about a hundred times now and are using it as a disclaimer for the result and the performance. That is what I define as an excuse. You might define it as something different.

So from now, I will say "by my definition of an excuse, this is one". You must be bored talking about it, though?
Don't have to hear from me again - this thread is a mess. Full of people that seem to be more happy to just shut people up instead of providing anything of significance themselves.

24 tackles inside 50 and zero holding the ball - there's the game right there.
We played a game this year where we had over 80 tackles for the game and ZERO HTB calls for the entire game, that’s all over the field.

We are laughing at hearing “umpire favouring” being used on social media to explain Cats wins as there’s been a billion excuses from “neutrals” (I use that term lightly) since we are 0-7 in FK counts so far this year.

Clearly not winning whistles. Just winning without the assistance.

We played a game this year where we had over 80 tackles for the game and ZERO HTB calls for the entire game, that’s all over the field.

We are laughing at hearing “umpire favouring” being use on social media since we are 0-7 in FK counts so far this year.
Umpires are too incompetent to purposely favour teams

We are laughing at hearing “umpire favouring” being use on social media since we are 0-7 in FK counts so far this year.

I am stating the facts...which in this game Carlton had 24 tackles inside 50 for zero holding the ball.

Back