Review Good bad ugly vs Port Adelaide R8 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We are 8 weeks into a season not round one,
Sander, McKercher, and even Reid have all been subbed weeks ago ......3-4 weeks is a normal block of games, but you can see after 2 games, the drop-off in performance with most rookies

Apologies to Wilson and Windsor

Sholl stuck it up those of us (myself included) who said he wouldn't back up his game last week. That left foot snap was class, and he gave off a cheapie to Rachele as well.
r
He is still too soft for my liking, but he can find it on the outside and used it well.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wouldn't call him soft, he has gone back in flight and taken strong mark and I don't recall him ever scrib. He tries to lay tackle and also can't break them as physically he just isn't strong enough despite 5 preseasons so very doubtful he can improve on his physique.

I have now watched a replay which confirms most of my impressions on the night.

OUTSTANDING
- Soligo, what a great decision to offer a long extension at the start of his first season with the Crows

GOOD
  • Michalanney
  • Worrell
  • Keane
  • Nankervis; at quarter time he had zero disposals and finished with 16 disposals
  • Rachele; not a perfect game but 17 disposals, 3 goal assists and a goal was a good day out for a small forward.
  • Fogarty; 9 marks (4 CMS) and 2 goals
  • Rankine; has there been a more influential 11 disposal game?

PLEASING
  • Solid contributions from our more experienced players (Dawson, Crouch, Tex, Laird, Hinge, Butts, O’Brien)
  • Dan Curtin; didn’t get a lot of the ball but didn’t look out of place
  • Our fringe players all contributed (Sholl, Himmelberg, even McHenry did a bit)

NOT SURE
Brodie Smith; didn’t do much wrong, didn’t do much right.
Brayden Cook; 4 touches in 71% ToG, 1 touch in the last 90 minutes.

I definitely do not think subbing Curtin off at 3/4 time was about managing him for future games. As others have pointed out it's a decent break until the next game, and the team was coming off a 5 day break so fresh legs would have been valuable in the game. I also think resting someone for next week would be a dumb way to use a sub in a close game, if the game is live you want to use it to try and secure a win, not worrying about next week.

Curtin was subbed off because the player coming on was playing a similar role and because he's a first gamer who was both likely to be struggling to run out the game and also the most inexperienced player on the park. With no injuries the other valid sub option would have been Cook, which also could have worked. There's nothing more to it than that.

The plan was always to sub Curtin for Smith, unless we copped an injury of course. We already know Nicks goes in with a set sub plan and sticks to it, see Soligo twice.

So Curtin could have been fine to play out the game, he might not have been, but as a first gamer he was always going to make way for Smith and that’s one the reasons Nicks is a dud coach. Just no ability to be instinctive.

If they know they should make the right decision in the first place.

C'mon. Mistakes happen - whether that be players or refs. Refs in every single league make mistakes and this wont change until we get AI refs.

These games are lightning fast and its easy to get something wrong. I love common sense and consistency in officiating.

Still reckon it’s a slippery slope.

Watching the inconstincey that plagues AFL - I dont think its slippery at all.

If you are bored right now - turn onto the Bruins vs Maple Leafs. Series is tied 3-3 and game 7 is in Overtime. IMO - Playoff NHL hockey is the best sporting product out there.

But but but best after match presser ever I tells ya. So honest, so brave I tells ya. Nicks would never admit...yadda yadda yadda yadda

Admitting to how ******* dumbarsed stupid you are does not and never will equate to being a great press conference.
Rozee passed the Fitness Test. He was declared available to play by their medicos.

Ken taking the fall is all about Dr Nick saving face.
Screenshot_20240505_124357_AFL.jpg

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

C'mon. Mistakes happen - whether that be players or refs. Refs in every single league make mistakes and this wont change until we get AI refs.

These games are lightning fast and its easy to get something wrong. I love common sense and consistency in officiating.

Watching the inconstincey that plagues AFL - I dont think its slippery at all.

If you are bored right now - turn onto the Bruins vs Maple Leafs. Series is tied 3-3 and game 7 is in Overtime. IMO - Playoff NHL hockey is the best sporting product out there.
I just think umpiring out game is hard anyway without an umpiring having to mentally calculate that they’ve paid 2 dubious ones to a team and 3 to the other then actively seek to find a situation where they can start evening it up.
Just pay what you see.
Hell the players are full time and make mistakes all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think umpiring out game is hard anyway without an umpiring having to mentally calculate that they’ve paid 2 dubious ones to a team and 3 to the other then actively seek to find a situation where they can start evening it up.
Just pay what you see.
Hell the players are full time and make mistakes all the time.

Disagree - there is a flow and a feel to officiating any game. I think they know exactly how they are calling them and how the game will go.

Game management (when done right) by the officiating crew adds to the game IMO.

Disagree - there is a flow and a feel to officiating any game. I think they know exactly how they are calling them and how the game will go.

Game management (when done right) by the officiating crew adds to the game IMO.
It may work in other sports but I can’t see it working in ours.
Unless you had someone watching the game
and making notes and saying at 1/4 time right guys we need to give a couple to the crows.
Just seems ludicrous to me.

Except the time he did.

Yeah once in a list of how many errors? How about this year with his changed game plan and vanilla midfield mix, instead it was the players.

And whilst we are discussing errors, if Soligo had finished the season in the form he’s showing now in the middle, do you think he would have been sub rd 1?

diana-v-mouse-gif.1980046

Yeah once in a list of how many errors? How about this year with his changed game plan and vanilla midfield mix, instead it was the players.

Lots of errors. Nicks has made many many errors - but he did admit when he made a ridiculous error.

My response was to the below.

Nicks never would

And whilst we are discussing errors, if Soligo had finished the season in the form he’s showing now in the middle, do you think he would have been sub rd 1?

Yes. And I can repeat the reasoning (that I know you disagree with) for the 250th time.

Young Player. Injured during preseason and misses a month of footy. Misses a trial match vs Port and gets limited time against West Coast due to fitness. Week leading to the game Nicks mentions concerns over his fitness. Its RD 1 and we are playing in the sapping conditions and have a 6 day break + travel before round 2. He took the long term conservative approach and managed the player. Think he listened to the fitness staff and made a logical decision.

Although - I am sure someone will bring up his amazing game against Melbourne a month later which shows how fit he was in rd 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back