Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Demons v Cats Sat May 4th 7:30pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Like always.

Yes of course.

Literally the first thing he said in the previous press conference after a meaningful loss we had was ‘we were beaten all over the ground’ 😂😂😂
He said the Saints deserved to be in the finals and dominated every aspect of the game.

The week after that (the final round against the Dogs last year) we picked a bunch of kids as we couldn’t make the finals and that’s all he was asked about aside from a couple of questions about the ruck and he talked about Lobbe and English dominating.

The week before against Collingwood:
‘We had some chances we missed that you can’t against a team that good.
‘There some moments where they positioned themselves better than us. They didn’t just beat us in contest, it came out of our forward 50 much quicker than it normally does, they played well.’

Sounds like he was really making a lot of excuses there. Really had to go back a long way to find those 😂😂

Bit tired of the "But Jezza Cameron never misses!!!" bit.

ANB doesn't miss either, but that's what fatigue does. Was a fast game and Jezza Cameron couldn't kick straight because Tom Mac had been fingering him for three quarters of a football match, poor bloke couldn't get his radar back because he was still seeing stars.
Mcdonald did very well. Early first quarter I thought Cameron was on as he was getting possies front and back, but then was mostly neutralised. I think being tagged is very arduous and even the best players can be knocked off kilter. In the ol days it was a weekly occurence and the best players found ways to counter it and still play well. Tagging these days is much less used so more a shock to the system when used.

So Cats did well to be in it without key talls firing, is another way to look at it.

May Lever Petty were key with aerial dominance. Pickett and Ubermensch Fritch were timely. Terrif game, they'll meet again in finals no doubt in my mind.

It’s really unfair to say nothing went your way, you’ve got to make things happen. We could argue nothing went our way re goal kicking but I am not going to because you have to kick them. Is it a rare one though? Hawkins hasn’t done much in front of goals for a while.
What do you believe went geelongs way last night?? The dewy conditions also made moving the ball with speed a bit more difficult and played into melbournes plan. At no point in the game did we get our transition game up and going. It was 4 quarters of a melbourne defensive lock down game. Yet we still could have won the match. That is generally a sign of a good team to hang in there despite nothing going right. Average teams cant do that.

It even took a 60m bomb from max gawn and fritsch pulling one out his arse followed by cameron missing 2x25m set shots in the last 6 min for an 8 point win.

May, lever, gawn, fritsch, oliver, petracca all played brilliant footy as well. Petty career best game.

From a geelong point of view i am confident if we meet again, but in saying that we need to analyse it and improve on what we did and tweak some things to adjust to the tactics. We cant just dismiss it down to entirely an off night. Melbourne played at their absolute best and we need to look at how to counter it.

Yes of course.
Don't have time to read an essay at the moment sorry.

But did you just go through his previous weeks interviews? When Geelong won?

He's very humble when he wins.
Sooks like a bitch when he loses though, like last night.

No, I literally went through the previous three press conferences after losses, as you would have seen if you had read.

‘Sooks like a bitch.’ You mean like you are doing because a grown man answering questions at a press conference just answered some questions during a seven minute interview in a way that didn’t please you?

Yeah.

‘Sooks like a bitch.’ You mean like you are doing because a grown man answering questions at a press conference just answered some questions during a seven minute interview in a way that didn’t please you?
Scott fails to credit the opposition in a sportsmanlike manner when he loses and always makes excuses.

His classic "I can't confirm there was or was not gastro because it will come out eventually" after getting molested in the 2021 prelim is a nice example.

FWIW I'm not pleased or displeased, I'm just stating my opinion which is fwiw pretty common amongst neutral supporters, last night just another in a long line of examples.

Scott fails to credit the opposition in a sportsmanlike manner when he loses and always makes excuses.

His classic "I can't confirm there was or was not gastro because it will come out eventually" after getting molested in the 2021 prelim is a nice example.

FWIW I'm not pleased or displeased, I'm just stating my opinion which is fwiw pretty common amongst neutral supporters, last night just another in a long line of examples.

No, I’ve literally just watched the last three press conferences he’s done after defeats and he credited the opposition each time. You just saying ‘this is what he does’ doesn’t make it true mate, I’m sorry to break it to you. Watch his post 2020 grand final one as well if you like. Picking out an example that suits what you think and blanket saying ‘this is what he does all the time’ won’t magically make it correct.

Groats disease will be the cause of their next loss according to Chris Scott.

For a discussion board who’s primary function is for fans to analyse all things football to the nth degree the inability for people to understand when someone comes out and tries to explain why he thinks a result occurred rather than just fob it off under a cloud of cliche is intriguing

What do you believe went geelongs way last night?? The dewy conditions also made moving the ball with speed a bit more difficult and played into melbournes plan. At no point in the game did we get our transition game up and going. It was 4 quarters of a melbourne defensive lock down game. Yet we still could have won the match. That is generally a sign of a good team to hang in there despite nothing going right. Average teams cant do that.

It even took a 60m bomb from max gawn and fritsch pulling one out his arse followed by cameron missing 2x25m set shots in the last 6 min for an 8 point win.

May, lever, gawn, fritsch, oliver, petracca all played brilliant footy as well. Petty career best game.

From a geelong point of view i am confident if we meet again, but in saying that we need to analyse it and improve on what we did and tweak some things to adjust to the tactics. We cant just dismiss it down to entirely an off night. Melbourne played at their absolute best and we need to look at how to counter it.
And you think Melbourne were not impacted by the same conditions? Come on. It wasn’t a defensive lock down game. You’re conflating Melbourne having a good defence with a lockdown style. Melbourne plays its best when attacking, hence last night. I don’t think anyone said Geelong didn’t play well. I think you did. Gawn kicks goals better from there than anywhere else. We also missed plenty as well so the whole Cameron missing doesn’t really stack up. I could argue that the other way and say we could have been 30 up even if Cameron kicked two late.

Fritsch is a freak, he’ll kick those goals if given the chance. He doesn’t pull that out of his arse. If it was Oliver who did that then that’s out of his arse.

Yeah, I think you do need to analyse it. Melbourne were very good and I don’t think dropping in the Cameron quips really do it justice.

Saying that things didn’t go our way isn’t really fair on Melbourne because they made it that way and against the better sides that’s how it is going to be.

Our method, BECAUSE we don’t have a dominant ruck and midfield, is going to be spending 60-70 per cent of those games on the opposition’s terms, absorbing the damage they inflict, and doing as much in response during the time we are in control.

It’s worked well so far but we couldn’t do it last night - we still GOT enough of those opportunities to make that method work, but that also owed a lot to the Demons themselves missing opportunities, and to Melbourne’s credit it was them when the decisive moment’s arrived who actually converted some incredible chances late in the game.

And you think Melbourne were not impacted by the same conditions? Come on. It wasn’t a defensive lock down game. You’re conflating Melbourne having a good defence with a lockdown style. Melbourne plays its best when attacking, hence last night. I don’t think anyone said Geelong didn’t play well. I think you did. Gawn kicks goals better from there than anywhere else. We also missed plenty as well so the whole Cameron missing doesn’t really stack up. I could argue that the other way and say we could have been 30 up even if Cameron kicked two late.

Fritsch is a freak, he’ll kick those goals if given the chance. He doesn’t pull that out of his arse. If it was Oliver who did that then that’s out of his arse.

Yeah, I think you do need to analyse it. Melbourne were very good and I don’t think dropping in the Cameron quips really do it justice.
Melbourne did not play attacking, they focused their entire gameplan around shutting down geelonga run and carry off hb flank and through the corridor then played a chip slow kick gamestyle to deny geelong a turnover in crucial areas of the ground. It was as attacking as a ross lyon game style.

When your entire gameplan revolved around defensively trying to shut down run and carry of your opposition, of cause dewy slippery conditions will suit you better in comparison to dry conditions, which is generally more in september

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne did not play attacking, they focused their entire gameplan around shutting down geelonga run and carry off hb flank and through the corridor then played a chip slow kick gamestyle to deny geelong a turnover in crucial areas of the ground. It was as attacking as a ross lyon game style.

When your entire gameplan revolved around defensively trying to shut down run and carry of your opposition, of cause dewy slippery conditions will suit you better in comparison to dry conditions, which is generally more in september
Sound like a big sook. But that’s ok.

So we focused on shutting down run, predominately Tom Stewart. Guess that’s ‘boring’.

Right, because finals games are free flowing high scoring affairs? Spare me.

Sound like a big sook. But that’s ok.

So we focused on shutting down run, predominately Tom Stewart. Guess that’s ‘boring’.
You did a very good job at what you focused on, it al went right on the night and you got the points. It looked 100% a melbourne game from start to finish, geelong never got going.

I take a huge positive from the game that we never got our style going for any period of the game yet we had chances to win the match in the dying minutes still.

An analysis any balanced optimistic person will have from a geelong perspective.

You did a very good job at what you focused on, it al went right on the night and you got the points. It looked 100% a melbourne game from start to finish, geelong never got going.

I take a huge positive from the game that we never got our style going for any period of the game yet we had chances to win the match in the dying minutes still.

An analysis any balanced optimistic person will have from a geelong perspective.
There’s a reason you never got going…..

You keep making excuses to suit the fact Geelong never got going, but we kicked terribly so should have won by 30 points.

It goes both ways.

There’s a reason you never got going…..

You keep making excuses to suit the fact Geelong never got going, but we kicked terribly so should have won by 30 points.

It goes both ways.
Both sides kicked terribly, didn't go one way or the other.

Was due to us being off slightly and the dewy conditions suiting melbournes run and carry stiffling agenda. Alot harder to defend our game plan on a fast dry deck.

It went a bit both ways, melbourne defended incredibly and got the entire match on their terms, geelong were off the boil 1-2% and that is all it takes against good opponents to get beaten.

Myself and other geelong fans will take alot out of being down and out the entire game on melbournes terms yet still almost winning the game. Very good sides put themselves in those positions on bad days still

Last edited:

Most bizzare post. He is easily the most humble coach who pays alot of respect to opposition.

First coach i have ever seen in modern AFL walk over before the siren to the winning grand final box and congratulate the coach on the victory... Yeah.. What a “sooking bitch”....

More sounds like you hate him for his success

Most bizzare post. He is easily the most humble coach who pays alot of respect to opposition.
Bullshit.

First coach i have ever seen in modern AFL walk over before the siren to the winning grand final box and congratulate the coach on the victory...
Saw that, covid cup that Richmond won?

Had a good sook later on though.

More sounds like you hate him for his success
Whatever gets you through the night, alright.

Anyone who thought Scott was humble in defeat, have a look at the coaches votes.
Absolute sook and sore loser.

Back