JLT 1 - Tigers v Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw why they elected to go for an injured Jacobs over O'Brien in the finals last year; he's so raw even Tony Abbott wouldn't take a bite.
MYsLCq.gif

O'Brien reminded me of a 4 month old Great Dane puppy I saw at the dog park a while ago, really big and full of enthusiasm, but kept tripping over itself as it ran around following the other dogs.
MYsLCq.gif

No one really put their hand up for round 1 he which was a bit disappointing, Hampton was probably the standout but still wouldn't say he was a star. Menzel and CEY very disappointing. Wigg and Milera also minor posititives.

Caught most of the second half and I never put to much stock in these exhibition games. Avoid key injuries that is the whole idea of these games in my opinion.

No one really put their hand up for round 1 he which was a bit disappointing, Hampton was probably the standout but still wouldn't say he was a star. Menzel and CEY very disappointing. Wigg and Milera also minor posititives.
I think Otten stuck his hand up Pyke's ass and waved. Pretty sure he caught Pyke's attention.

Just got back from the game live sitting in Row B at Etihad.

s**t, Richmond thought they won the premiership. No joke the amount of verbal for a Mickey mouse game was incredible.

We noticeably changed our game/team at half time. Sauce went off, midfield changed etc.

I understand they want to try players etc in different spots but seemed too much tonight, i suspect a ploy.

Martin for them was the difference, dominated the midfield.

I'm watching the replay immediately after the match: I'm sure it will end up the same.

A few random observations:

JJ: Excellent that he is clearly over his injury. Good effort overall, apart from 1st quarter stuff up after brilliant kick along the ground from the boundary by Eddie.

Kelly: excellent honest game, seems to be AFL standard to me. Makes the opponents know he is there. I think he has been treated badly.

Milera: Good. Will play this year.

Otten: Excellent judgement and good game. One embarrassing moment where he looked glacially slow trying to chase the oppo.

Hampton: Is walking the talk. Good game. Should be playing this year. There was one awkward moment when he needed to change direction rapidly but was found wanting.

Wigg: Seems to know how to play at this level, a positive. However, his alleged strength, the kicking, was atrocious. I don't know that this was due to nervousness, though. He may well make an AFL player.

CEY: Well, very bad. Much worse than I know he can play. I don't know what's going on there, but he was injured during the match.

Smith: Good game.

Dear: Showed potential.

Crouch: Terrible game. No influence, apart from poor decision making and disposal. I really expected him to dominate tonight and was very disappointed, as with CEY.

Menzel: Disappointing. He should have done better in this type of match.

Laird: I'm not sure where he was playing, but his influence was below normal.

I think a reasonable number of positives were shown, overall.

Teamwise, there were a few problems. (1) field kicking was atrocious, there seemed to be an infinite number of outs on the full.
Many of the oppo goals resulted from these turnovers. (2) Apart from this, we looked pretty smooth on the forward entries, but played
like millionaires in front of goal and butchered many obvious goals. Hopefully, these should not be too difficult to fix up during the year.

On the positive side, I thought our tackling was very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was relating to how much they dislike adelaide and bukake over the tigers
standard s**t for the home team they have done it all jlt. expect them to interview one of your blokes when you play your next game in adelaide against an away team. its stupid and s**t house but thats how they do it.

Query: why did we give Mackay 87 percent game time in a pre season game for 13 disposals on the wing while we didn't give Greenwood a chance to see what he could do?
Answer: sigh

87% game time? I hardly spotted him in the second half.

I hope the blokes with a potential round 1 birth are continued too be played after this.

Hampton, Milera, Wiggle, Otten.. All the performers and those that have the potential for impact this year should be persisted with over all 3 JLT games.

They won't be able to be played: they'll have to be by the wife's bedside. ;)

For me Milera was the biggest positive. Thought he was very good. In a sloppy game he stood out as AFL level from the fringe players.

Not too concerned about any poorer performances as even the better players on the ground had some poor moments too. Having said that I was disappointed with CEY. I had hoped his off season exploits would have him raise the bar. Unfair expectation on him I suppose. Hopefully he plays the next two games and takes the opportunity he has right now.

+
Milera and Cameron are pure class and have genuine star quality
Hampton looks like he belongs
Eddie looks as dangerous as ever
JJ
Otten and Kelly will be handy depth players in defence

-
CEY doesn't look up to it and will be gone at season's end barring a drastic turnaround
Lynch was as rusty as his hair
Tex never got going

Other:
Wigg got the pill but his kicking was poor, hopefully it was just nerves
There's something there with Menzel but he didn't do enough

First hit-out was always going to be a bit scrappy but, hopefully, things will look a little better against Geelong.

Query: why did we give Mackay 87 percent game time in a pre season game for 13 disposals on the wing while we didn't give Greenwood a chance to see what he could do?
Answer: sigh
87% game time? I hardly spotted him in the second half.

Did you get those stats from Fan Footy? Those numbers are wonky, O'Brien had 51% at half time despite not having been on the ground yet.

1. Jono Beech: showed good signs early before injuring himself
4. JJ - solid hitout, showed good one on one strength at times and if he can add this to his game will be very hard to match up on
8. Jake Kelly - was ok, but if he wasn't Ned Kelly's son he wouldn't get a mention by the commentators
10. Harry Wigg - did well to get a bit of it, but burnt it. Will be good for the run and be better for it. Give him another crack, hit a couple of targets and get some confidence. Something worth persisting with IMO
12. DT - Gun
13. Tex - was in 1st gear all night
14. DMac = DMac
15. Harto - looks to me as being the one to take the best forward each week
17. Curtly - we've got something here. Worth persisting with. He will be in the midefield round one. Just adds that different look to our midfield
18. Eddie - see Tex
21. Atkins - better for the run
22. Otten - looked great and may add something. He is ready to fight for his career and offers somthing still If Cheney or Lever are not fit, we don't lose anything with playing Andy I reckon. Still has something to give
23. CC - geez I am excited to see what he can do once the real stuff starts. Was in crusie control tonight but has another gear or two in reserve. Look out - he's ready to explode
24. Sauce - looked solid one on one without third man up.
26. Dougie - showed some good signs and still has something to offer the side I reckon
27. Lynchy - did what he had to
28, CEY - yeah, nah....
29. Laird - showed he can be effective in mid and def. Will be an asset to the side if can move between DEF & MID
30. Milera - looks ready to breakout i reckon.
31. Poholke - Lots to like here. Didn't set the world on fire, but I like him.
32. Menzel - didn't seem to get a great run at it, and not helped by our lack of forward movement when he was on, but worth another go in R2 of JLT. Give him a full game Pykey! I reckon he will get better the more he plays at this level.
33. Smith - first gear only tonight
38. Harry Dear - I'm calling it. He will be a handy AFLforward. Not sure it will be with us, but he has something to work with. Good size, speed and strength. Looks like he can kick straight too
41. Shooter - couple of good clunks then was moth balled. Will take the nxt step this year and win games off his own boot
43. ROB - looked ok, but will need to lift some more if Sauce goes down
44. Mrouch - looking good, and will be better again this year

Overall- we looked to be in cruise control and it felt like we had control of the game but Richmond ran away with it.

I think we were going at 75% and they were at 95%. Tigers will be better this year but lack a tall FWD and DEF i reckon. MID looks good and will do some damage on the back of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back