Oppo Camp Chloe Molloy

Remove this Banner Ad

Life of a Footballer: Chloe Molloy
Life of a Footballer News Womens
June 8, 2017October 18, 2017 by Chloe Molloy
Life of a footballer is a personal insight by Calder Cannons and Diamond Creek footballer Chloe Molloy. The Life of a Footballer series follows on from last year’s edition which saw Bendigo Pioneers’ midfielder Jamieson Sheahan provide us insights into the inner workings of a TAC Cup club. In 2017, Chloe Molloy has joined the AFL Draft Central team and will give readers an insight into how she juggles university studies with her football at Diamond Creek, and her pathway to follow her dream into the AFLW. Without further adue, here’s an introduction into the life of Chloe Molloy.

Introduction:

Finding that happy medium for me between football, university, working and ‘me time’ hasn’t been the easiest of tasks for me. To introduce myself, I am Chloe Molloy, I am a woman, and I am a footballer. I recently represented Calder Cannons in the girls 2017 TAC Cup and I am also a ‘baby creeker’ at the Diamond Creek Women’s Football Club.

I have a long background in basketball, representing at a state level, before swapping codes and rekindling my passion for the oval shaped ball.

I currently study full time at Holmesglen University, in a Bachelor of Sports Media course. I work two jobs, local café and a Game Development officer with the AFL. So that’s enough about me, lets get into the footy talk.

So to kick it off, I’m going to relive the first girls TAC Cup season, which was short, but sweet. We played at total of five matches, the last being held at RAMS Arena. Which for the Calder Cannons was historical. Because for the first time ever, the Cannons girls had taken out the TAC Cup in its inaugural year. It was a grouse day to win a premiership might I add, all the teams were there, and from what I can recall it actually wasn’t too windy. We battled out of last match against Bendigo Pioneers, that was a very congested game, but the final score recounted as 10.16 (76) (Calder) to 2.1 (13) (Bendigo). I was fortunate enough to win the leading goal kicker award, as well as joint Best and Fairest of the league alongside a talented Stingray, Bridie Kennedy.

chloe.jpg
Chloe Molloy running around for the Calder Cannons (l) and then Diamond Creek (r)
chloe-3.jpg
Pic: Craig Dilks Photography

After the Cannons had concluded, I was to start my senior football career with the Diamond Creek women’s team. It was crazy to think that I’d be playing along side AFLW players, like Steph Chiocci. I go from watching her run amok with Collingwood on TV, to being her leg swing partner at training. Crazy. Little sidenote too, Steph and I share a birthday!

So there have been four rounds so far in the VFLW, and fortunately enough I’ve been able to play in all these games! Snagging a few goals here and there, but our most recent game was against the Geelong side, who had been #undefeated, but little did they know that their hashtag was soon to be taken away from them. We dominated the whole game, I played up forward, and then in the next half moved up the ground a bit to play a different role. We got away with a dominant victory, 11.11 (77) to 2.3 (15). We now were the #undefeated team, and have perched ourselves up on top of the ladder. We battle it out against Bri Davey and her St Kilda Sharks next week!

But in saying all this, I also study and work. It is hectic to say the least. To define hectic here is a little insight to what my previous week looked like:

Monday –

• 10:30am meeting on Chapel
  • 1:30pm-3:30pm AFL Clinic
  • Recovery from weekend
  • Study for upcoming Uni exam
Tuesday –

• 9:30am-4:00pm work at café
  • 6:30pm-8:30pm Diamond Creek Training
Wednesday –

• 11:30am-12:15pm – AFL clinic
  • 1:30pm-2:30pm- AFL clinic
Thursday –

• Breakfast with a friend
  • 6:30pm-8:30pm Diamond Creek Training
Friday –

• 10am work at café
  • “Me time”
Saturday –

• 10am-4:00pm work at café
Sunday –

• GAME DAY
So my weeks are a little busy, as you can see, not a lot of ‘me time’, but I wouldn’t change my lifestyle for the world. Football has been in my blood since I was a young tacker.

Keep updated on my posts, read them, judge them, comment on them, but if you’re going to judge than I better see you at one of Diamond Creeks games, so we can blow you away with our talent.

@chloemolloy

Life of a Footballer: Chloe Molloy Part 2
June 21, 2017June 21, 2017 by Chloe Molloy
Life of a footballer is a personal insight by Calder Cannons and Diamond Creek footballer Chloe Molloy. The Life of a Footballer series follows on from last year’s edition which saw Bendigo Pioneers’ midfielder Jamieson Sheahan provide us insights into the inner workings of a TAC Cup club. In 2017, Chloe Molloy has joined the AFL Draft Central team and will give readers an insight into how she juggles university studies with her football at Diamond Creek, and her pathway to follow her dream into the AFLW. You can find her first instalment here

Two games have passed since I last checked in – with the most recent game against a determined St Kilda Sharks outfit on Sunday.

Unfortunately, we suffered out first loss for the season. Of course to lose is not a great feeling, especially when we know that we didn’t play our best footy – but we are more gutted knowing that we are so much better than what we displayed. Training on Tuesday night consisted of a longer review than usual and we thoroughly debriefed our performance. We placed a huge emphasis on the fact that it’s how we react to the loss that will define who we are and what we stand for as a footy team. But I couldn’t speak any more highly of our playing group and coaching staff, and I am confident that we will respond positively on the weekend, implementing learnings and feedback from Sunday’s game to get a better result.

Flashback to a few weeks ago; boy oh boy was that a nail-biter of a game. Darebin are a talent-flooded team, with major VFLW names associated to their club. Despite being a fresh player to the club, I had full understanding of the history behind the two rival teams, and how much this game meant to Diamond Creek.

It was a grouse weekend, as all three of our senior teams were playing at the same ground. It was a big day and it started off with two great wins – It was now up to us (The VFL team) to top it off and make it a clean sweep for the day.

I came up against a good defender on the day; she challenged me well and had constant touch on me. I was caught out of position a lot, to which I have reflected on and have been shown now how to adjust to this, which is good for me as it helps me expand my footy brain. It actually excites me with how much more I have to learn about the game. Darebin worked so well together, linking up the ground, making them a tough opposition.

It was a such a close match, and with an inside 30 in the last moments of the game, Sophie Abbatangelo secured a mark, went back and slotted the goal that put us in front by a few points. The final siren finally sounded, and as Clare Cosy wrote in her piece, “The little club that could, did.” The final win put the cherry on top; these three wins were to go down in history. Our backline were outstanding and kept us in the game. Every player contributed, and it was a tremendous team effort and success. It was a big day for the community, and I couldn’t be any more humbled to be part of that day and the club.

In other news, semester one of university has come to an end. So I am now exam free, stress free, and time free (meaning I have free time finally!!).

It has been good to have the weight of university and exams off my shoulders, and I am really looking forward to the break. It is a bit overdue.

As we all know, the exam period makes for one cranky, stressed woman, especially when you’re an A grade procrastinator like myself. As much as I am happy for the break, I am very keen to start next semester as I love the course and Holmesglen have been super supportive in balancing my lifestyle.

Work is going really well and I am learning how to become a barista with Ruby Green & Co, which is really handy. It is not as easy as it looks (well maybe it is and I just make it look difficult) – but anyway I am currently in training for that. So please don’t hesitate to pop down and grab a coffee from me! I have also been doing a stack of clinics with the AFL, which has been keeping me on my toes a fair bit.

I have also taken full advantage of my free time, and I could count on two hands the amount of times I have been out for breakfast/lunch/dinner within the space of one week. Fun fact for the audience, I am a massive brunch lover! And a coffee lover, so supply me with brunch and a latte, and I will be your best friend.

With all this free time that I now have, I managed to finally get to an AFL match! I am a Collingwood supporter (not sure how many of you will stop reading now I’ve mentioned that) but I went to the Collingwood vs Melbourne game. It was also the Freeze MND game; so I got to see all the celebrities go down the slide into the ice, personally I don’t understand why I wasn’t chosen to go down the slide (Cue laughing). It was a good evening, and the company made it much more enjoyable. It would’ve been a lot better if Collingwood won, but nevertheless it was a game with a great cause and an exciting match. And I am pretty sure I got to witness ‘mark of the year’ by Jeremy Howe, I will never get ‘howe’ he does it.

Thanks again for reading, I am about to sit down and watch AFL 360 to watch my trusty Creekers skipper, Steph Chiocci on a segment. Also please feel free to donate me $2, as for every time I make an entry, I cost myself a $2 fine. But I do hope you enjoy the content as much as I enjoy writing them and keep up to date with my pieces. Keep an eye out for next week’s entry, as we take on VU Spurs who are now on top of the VFL Swisse Women’s ladder.

(Editors note – Chloe failed to mention that she slotted a bag of four goals against Geelong and now is sitting seven goals clear in the VFLW goal kickers list, with 16 goals for the season)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Life of a Footballer: Chloe Molloy Part 3
August 2, 2017August 2, 2017 by Chloe Molloy
Life of a footballer is a personal insight by Calder Cannons and Diamond Creek footballer Chloe Molloy. The Life of a Footballer series follows on from last year’s edition which saw Bendigo Pioneers’ midfielder Jamieson Sheahan provide us insights into the inner workings of a TAC Cup club. In 2017, Chloe Molloy has joined the AFL Draft Central team and will give readers an insight into how she juggles university studies with her football at Diamond Creek, and her pathway to follow her dream into the AFLW. You can find her last instalment here

Monday is the determiner of how the rest of your week is really going to plan out…

So I am back at university now, with a different timetable, and if Monday’s couldn’t get any worse, then hear this. I live an hour and a bit out of the city, so I have a lecture from 6pm-9pm (YES that says PM) at Holmesglen St Kilda campus. So please show me sympathy for that! I’m only kidding, although by 7pm I hit a wall, so the concentration level decreases slightly… And I am usually ready for bed by 8:30pm. But amongst all the complaining that I just rambled on about, the course is grouse and the night class is taken by Peter Rolfe, a Herald Sun journalist, which I think, is such a privilege.

I am back at Uni again the next day for a later class 2pm-5pm, then straight after class I have to get moving to head off to Diamond Creek training! And I am sure that everyone knows that around 5pm, is peak time traffic, and I love…. being…stuck…in…traffic.

But great news, Diamo are currently (hope it stays that way) sitting on top of the VFLW ladder, after good wins against Melbourne Uni, Eastern Devils and St Kilda. I am absolutely loving the Creekers, training is great. Scotty (Gowans) our coach works his backside off for us, feeding us statistics about ourselves, the team and also about our opponents. At Tuesday night trainings, we spend about 30 minutes reviewing our game, rating our game and also going through the teams ‘what we can work on’ and also ‘what we want to keep doing’ in our games.

Throw back to the matches that have passed – Round 8 we faced Melbourne Uni in what was a great game. It was a great 42-point win and gave us a real confidence boost. We had a ripper start and just continued from there, with Muggars only scoring a single point after the half. Reni Hicks played well for us, shutting down one of the Muggars key forwards. I was lucky enough to kick three goals for my team, just to put the icing on the cake for the hard work we had all done during the game.

Next match for us was the Eastern Devils, I wasn’t too sure what to expect, but I knew that it wasn’t going to be an easy game – no game is easy really! Despite their position on the ladder, it was always going to be a tough game. Personally for me it was tough, I was quiet heavily tagged all day by Pepa Randall and I had a quite game, despite managing to sneak a few touches in the last quarter.

We started off very sluggish, and lost the first quarter, but pulled ourselves into line after that and dominated the game from there on in. Kerryn Harrington had a good game for us, kicking a cheeky goal! She also did a lot of work from the backline, with the support from Lauren Morecroft. Emma Grant is also such a consistent player for us, and may go unnoticed at times, but that girl is always influencing our games. We managed to keep the Devils to just five goals, with our skip Steph Chiocci snagging two great goals. A big mention goes to Tanya Harrington, who despite being named in the backline, managed to have a set shot on goal and slot one through the big sticks! We finished with 10.12 (72), which collectively we weren’t happy with as our scoring efficiency wasn’t where we wanted it to be – but of course we were happy to take home the points!!

Round 10 saw us face St Kilda Sharks, who last time got away from us, so it was our time to make a statement to them. I was put into a different role having to tag Carlton AFLW player Bri Davey. I was nervous to say the least, having played forward or midfield for my whole football career (about 15 games) and then having to be thrown into the deep end to see how I could go in a different role. And hey – why not go all out and make me tag Bri Davey!

But, I was very keen because I really had nothing to lose and I looked at it as a great challenge, which it was and I took a lot out of it. And as Rob Chiocci said to me, “another bow to you arrow.” I had no snags that game, but I felt like I had played my role, as Bri didn’t have a huge impact on the game as she normally would. The contests were tough, but I’d help her up from them and she’d help me up, so I really enjoyed going up against such a great athlete.

The final quarter was a nail biter, but we got the win, 37-32, with Lisa Williams kicking the final goal with four minutes left in the game. Steph Chiocci played great for us; her efficiency with the ball was crucial in our win. Emma Grant went hard at it as always, and Katie Loynes had a great game for us, tackling like a machine, having plenty of the ball and stood out for us.

Next round is going to be AWESOME! (Really need to extend my vocabulary) We have Darebin on Saturday at Preston City Oval at 10am, which is going to be a cracker of a game! Such a rivalry between the two clubs, and really I’m looking forward to Saturday morning for another tough game of football.

Also I have to do this, huge shout out to Jacqui Graham, hell of a person and player. If you see her in my Instagram stories make sure you chuck her a follow! And if you don’t follow me, then you should @cchloemolloyy. She has been a great support and friend to me, and I think with the big things that are ahead for me it’s important to have someone like Jac to support me.

Life of a Footballer: Chloe Molloy’s flag dream
September 23, 2017October 18, 2017 by Chloe Molloy
Life of a footballer is a personal insight by Calder Cannons and Diamond Creek footballer Chloe Molloy. The Life of a Footballer series follows on from last year’s edition which saw Bendigo Pioneers’ midfielder Jamieson Sheahan provide us insights into the inner workings of a TAC Cup club. In 2017, Chloe Molloy has joined the AFL Draft Central team and will give readers an insight into how she juggles university studies with her football at Diamond Creek, and her pathway to follow her dream into the AFLW. You can find her last instalment here.

It is the pinnacle of any athletes’ sporting career to play in a grand final, to have one more chance to showcase the team’s talent, and the chance for all the seasons’ hard work to be rewarded. The girls at Diamond Creek Women’s Football Creek are nothing short of hard workers, with consistent numbers at training despite Melbourne’s bi-polar weather. To add to the grand final hype, chuck playing it on Etihad into the mix. Now it isn’t everyday that you play a grand final, let alone on the iconic Etihad Stadium, it’s a dream come true in itself.

Usual trainings on Tuesday and Thursday were made better with the feeling of the big dance coming up. Also it was actually quite warm weather. Nerves were evident during the sessions, but as always we came together to finish off the season with a strong final training session.

We had the normal Thursday dinners, carb loading of course! It had a different vibe though, a good one of course! One that would send shivers down the spines of the girls who had been at this club since day dot. But not to exclude the newbies, who were all made aware of the clubs history, and how much meaning this game had behind it.

Yes it was a grand final, but for a club like Diamond Creek Women’s Football Club, it was so much more. I can’t even explain how it felt to hear how many challenges that the club had been through and overcome to get where they are now. This game was so much more than just a grand final. The genuine care that players and committee members had for the club could be seen on their faces, and it just put fire in our bellies.

I cannot write this piece without mentioning the long tailed rivalry between Darebin and Diamond Creek. The last time the Creekers had their hands on the cup was back in 2012. And now we have been given the opportunity, it wasn’t out of luck; it was out of pure hard, teamwork that us girls have put in. We deserve to be in this game. 2017 is going to add another chapter to this famous rivalry, and I am hoping that this chapter will end in bringing home the premiership cup to Plenty Park.

The emotions are high, the feels are peaking, and the nerves are starting to sneak up on me. But I am so honoured to be running out onto the ground with the all the Creekers, and especially under the captaincy of Steph Chiocci, whose leadership is admirable and she has been a great mentor for me; and Tanya Hetherington, who has been outstanding, and stepped up when we needed her. Every single girl has made Diamond Creek proud, and no ones efforts have gone unnoticed throughout the season. It was team effort to get to where we are and it will take a huge team effort again, but I don’t doubt my girls for a second.

I personally have had so much support from everyone, and it really does make me want to play for my supporters as well as myself, it’s extra motivation. I have no doubt my mum will be there with bells on, and most likely even pom poms. So keep an eye out for her!

So for the last time of the 2017 Swisse VFLW season, I will run out alongside my skinny gals, with the full blown confidence that we will be returning to the rooms arm in arm, singing our song. If you nothing planned for your Sunday, then I highly recommend you make your way to Etihad and watch this historical match be played at 12pm. It’s a triple header with the VFL Men’s and TAC Cup Grand Final. Massive day, and as the Creeker girls would say, it’s a big day for the community.

Side note: If you can’t make it to the game, it will air live on Channel 7 from 11:30am.

DIAMOND CREEK v. DAREBIN

Grand Final – 24/09/2017

Diamond Creek:

B: 4. T. Hetherington, 23. L. Morecroft, 10. R. Hicks
HB: 17. S. Chiocci, 7. K. Hicks, 13. E. Grant
C: 44. L. Brazzale, 18. S. Audley, 9. L. Williams
HF: 38. A. Barden, 26. K. Harrington, 15. K. Loynes
F: 22. J. Kennedy, 2. B. Grech, 52. C. Molloy
R: 80. A. Downie, 5. K. Lamb, 42. A. Riddell
Int: 3. S. Abbatangelo, 1. L. Duryea, 25. J. Graham, 24. A. Saxton

VS

Darebin:

B: 8. E. Birch, 14. M. McDonald, 21. K. Roe
HB: 10. G. Lawson-Tavan, 40. L. Pearce, 4. K. Paxman
C: 2. N. Callinan, 18. M. Hickey, 11. K. Tyndall
HF: 13. L. Arnell, 16. K. Brennan, 19. E. Marinoff
F: 30. E. O’Dea, 34. S. Egan, 17. S. Simpson
R: 41. A. O’Connor, 6. D. Pearce, 12. J. Dal Pos
Int: 27. S. Hogan, 43. A. Lister, 1. E. Oliver, 23. A. Reynolds

Welcome aboard, may your time at Collingwood be littered with premiership medallions.

Great pick up, think she's a talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back