HDFL Season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get your facts right before digging up old bones Zooma Jnr. The police were actually at the out patients at the hospital when Hallett arrived and started there own investigation via HDFL.
Meant to write apparently at the start of that post. What I said is what I've heard from members of the club

Last edited:
Meant to write apparently at the start of that post. What I said is what I've heard from members of the club

Those `members` from the club must not be in the know if that's what they have told you as it is 100% incorrect. In actual fact the presidents from the Giants and NQ were in constant communication during the whole investigation and the clubs are on good terms.

Those `members` from the club must not be in the know if that's what they have told you as it is 100% incorrect. In actual fact the presidents from the Giants and NQ were in constant communication during the whole investigation and the clubs are on good terms.
Thanks for the info mate.

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/5175025/saints-and-border-districts-merger-not-to-go-ahead/?cs=226

I would imagine this merger talk will be revisited soon and with more time and planning probably take place sometime before next season now ready for a 2019 entry in the KNTFL . 4 grounds, 2 home games for each former club but atleast these great and historic sporting communities will hang on for as long as possible

Ok. Now that is sorted looks as though there will be 11 teams in HDFL and the bye is back. Hopefully the final fixture is out asap!

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/5175025/saints-and-border-districts-merger-not-to-go-ahead/?cs=226

I would imagine this merger talk will be revisited soon and with more time and planning probably take place sometime before next season now ready for a 2019 entry in the KNTFL . 4 grounds, 2 home games for each former club but atleast these great and historic sporting communities will hang on for as long as possible

Ok. Now that is sorted looks as though there will be 11 teams in HDFL and the bye is back. Hopefully the final fixture is out asap!

dunno how its going to work with

Glad they got this new draw out reasonably quickly. Dual ground clubs have until friday to lock in which venue. What are peoples thoughts on top 5 or top 6 now that the comp is only 11 teams?

They are sticking with top 6 which i dont mind...gives another team a shot plus i have seen a top 5 in a 7 team league which is just ridiculous!

Glad they got this new draw out reasonably quickly. Dual ground clubs have until friday to lock in which venue. What are peoples thoughts on top 5 or top 6 now that the comp is only 11 teams?

They are sticking with top 6 which i dont mind...gives another team a shot plus i have seen a top 5 in a 7 team league which is just ridiculous!

Don't like the top 6 system, regardless of whether we have 10,11 or 12 teams in the competition. There's no difference between finishing 1st or 2nd anymore, and if you finish 3rd you could be bundled out in the first week. The old system had a sliding scale of reward where 1st has a week off and there's a clear difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd; and 4th or 5th. Top 5 is a much better system for rewarding teams for work through the whole season. I'd much rather have appropriate reward for finishing position than this concept of an extra team playing finals.

Don't like the top 6 system, regardless of whether we have 10,11 or 12 teams in the competition. There's no difference between finishing 1st or 2nd anymore, and if you finish 3rd you could be bundled out in the first week. The old system had a sliding scale of reward where 1st has a week off and there's a clear difference between finishing 2nd or 3rd; and 4th or 5th. Top 5 is a much better system for rewarding teams for work through the whole season. I'd much rather have appropriate reward for finishing position than this concept of an extra team playing finals.

unless u have 18 clubs like Central Highlands and they have top 8 too same as AFL Ballarat fl is top 5

I like the Top 5 system better, it gives the top three teams a second chance rather than only two, which would hurt the 4th and 5th teams, but it makes getting that third place spot important for a team that might finish 4th or 5th because it might make them more competitive and fight harder to get that 3rd spot rather than playing it safe and finishing 5th or 6th and have the same chance as the 3rd place team. The top 6 is a good system for 12 teams but for 9-11 teams, i would go with a top 5 system.

I like the Top 5 system better, it gives the top three teams a second chance rather than only two, which would hurt the 4th and 5th teams, but it makes getting that third place spot important for a team that might finish 4th or 5th because it might make them more competitive and fight harder to get that 3rd spot rather than playing it safe and finishing 5th or 6th and have the same chance as the 3rd place team. The top 6 is a good system for 12 teams but for 9-11 teams, i would go with a top 5 system.

Final 5 system is just about ideal in my view

Cast an eye over Pioneers 16s and 18s squads on Sunday, couldn’t find any ties to HDFL clubs?
Just one of those years, or the decision to remain an U/17 competition preventing exposure for HDFL kids?

Cast an eye over Pioneers 16s and 18s squads on Sunday, couldn’t find any ties to HDFL clubs?
Just one of those years, or the decision to remain an U/17 competition preventing exposure for HDFL kids?
Think you may have been chasing Heathcote district there Doona. Horsham district young fellas tend to head to Rebels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a few clearances in and with only a little over a month before the first bounce time to make a few ladder predictions for the upcoming season:

Harrow balmoral-clear favourites on paper after giants have gone. Lost a few picked up a few but will still be the team to beat after winning prelim by 25 goals and coming up short now in 2 gfs in a row

Jeparit/rainbow- finished third the last couple of years another team that lost a few gained a few so should be right in the conversation at the business end of the season

Kalkee- i think these guys will shoot right up the ladder and be very competitive with their horsham recruits and farr in a coaching role. Wouldnt be surprised if they are competitive to see steve schultz unretire and try squeeze one more half year out of his body mid season.

Swifts- Have not heard a lot but assume they will still be around the mark.

Natimuk- Club seems to be building and should play finals again

Laharum-Think these guys will be fighting it out with rupanyup for last spot in top 6.

Rupanyup- along with kalkee have recruited well and should be the big improvers. Could play finals for sure

Edenhope apsley-struggling and could very well merge next year but i think their best 21 is still quite capable.

Noradj Quantong, Pimpinio & Taylors lake really struggling to recruit enough quality players and could be in for a few hidings unfortuneatly but good luck to them.

Last edited:
Can’t disagree too much oldbomber

Jeaprit Rainbow
Harrow Balmoral
swifts
Kalkee
Rupanyup
Natimuk

Edenhope Aspley
Noradjua Quantong
Laharum
Pimpinio
Taylor’s Lake

Should be a very close season. I find it interesting that they're keeping with the top six; you can finish third but still be knocked out in the first round of finals (which seems pretty harsh). If the season is tight getting that double chance could be crucial, and Harrow showed in 2016 that you can come from sixth in this system and still make the Grand Final.

Yeah I’m a bit baffled why they have persisted with top 6. They’re only logic is that is gives an extra team who may not usually get an opportunity to get to finals an opportunity to do so.
It’s in no way fair on the 1st and 3rd side. No incentive to finish 1st instead of second. And no incentive to finish 3rd. There’s usually a massive difference between the 3rd and 6th side.
Case in point as you highlight, laharum finished 3rd on percentage in 2016 behind second placed JR. HB finish 6th. Laharum defeated by Hb in elimation final and hb go to place in two grand finals in a row from there.
The top 5 works perfectly. Completely fair with finals incentives in line ladder positions.
Top 6. Means top 2 get equal reward and 3-6 get equal reward come finals. So what’s the point of home and away?

Last edited:
Yeah it's nice to give more sides finals experience, but when there's no difference between finishing third or sixth on the ladder that seems a bit harsh. And as you say, if there's a big gap between third and sixth then the first final could be a real flogging. I guess more finals and more sides means more money though too.

Yeah it's nice to give more sides finals experience, but when there's no difference between finishing third or sixth on the ladder that seems a bit harsh. And as you say, if there's a big gap between third and sixth then the first final could be a real flogging. I guess more finals and more sides means more money though too.
The final six has the same amount of finals games as the final five.
I would prefer to revert back to the top five.

Oh yeah, fair point. Guess it's just more clubs involved then. It would be interesting to know if the league made more money the past two years with a top six.

Pretty quiet on here this year. HB 3rd time lucky. Outside looking in can’t see them missing out? Kalkee, can they cause an upset? Surely HB after 2 losses in a row will be absolutely primed.
Dellar medal Monday night. Who are the chances?

I'd expect Harrow/Balmoral to be the favourites, but the Semi-Final they played in was close up until three-quarter time. And this was with Kalkee having a broken collarbone in the first few minutes. I certainly hope Harrow can get over the line. Good to see them get through in the Reserves as well, although I suspect JR will have a very strong team in given their Seniors are out.

Wouldnt be surprised if Harrow balmoral have printed the caps already. They have owned Kalkee this year who are simply not on their level.

Kalkee rely too much on their mids plus excell brothers and have too many passengers. League leading goal kicker Kuhne has hardly kicked any goals against good opposition and is 0 from two finals this year just highlighting their lack of firepower up forward.

It would take a serious choke from the roos to lose it. They wont! HB to win by 4 goals.

In the ressies i think JR can get a win over the roos by 10 points

It would take a serious choke from the roos to lose it. They wont! HB to win by 4 goals.

In the ressies i think JR can get a win over the roos by 10 points

Almost spot on with both margins oldbomber. Harrow weren't letting that one go in the seniors and JR were a bit too strong in the twos. First four minutes of the reserves made it look like we could have a shootout, with both teams scoring two goals. And then there wasn't another goal for about 40 minutes of play! A shame about the weather for the day too - I don't think I've sat through hail at a Grand Final before.

Kalkee will keep building for next year and the Roos will be wanting to hold onto all their current players. They'll be preparing early to go again in both grades.

Interesting, too, to see Edenhope/Aplsey have a vote on merger talks. The overwhelming majority want to keep the club as it is, which isn't surprising given both their seniors and netball had successful seasons. However, finding more numbers is never easy and I think I am correct in saying they were the only club without something in a Grand Final? I could be wrong there and I hope I am as it was great to see so many clubs represented on the day.

And anyone know where one of the previous Harrow/Balmoral Premiership Flags disappeared to from City Oval Friday night? They couldn't be too happy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back