Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Fogarty thus far in his whole junior career has played mostly up forward and some defence, the occasions he's played on the ball he has been mostly underwhelming. A dominant forward is far more valuable than a midfielder unless they are absolute superstars of the Martin, Dangerfield or Ablett Jr ilk. I just don't get why people are hell bent on going down the midfielder road with Fogarty when the nature of the AFL beast clearly shows more quality midfielders are far more readily available than quality key position players. From what I'm hearing from Darcy himself the club would appear to be going down the KPF path as almost every time he's interviewed he mentions he's learning leading patterns etc.

Who says he was underwhelming? I saw some really good passages from him for the Bays last year in the midfield.

Who says he was underwhelming? I saw some really good passages from him for the Bays last year in the midfield.
And when were they ? He barely played a good game all year last year ( injury restricted and some form issues)

Almost all of his better games in last few years have been forward and if not they've been in defence NOT mid

And when were they ? He barely played a good game all year last year ( injury restricted and some form issues)

Almost all of his better games in last few years have been forward and if not they've been in defence NOT mid

If you re-read my post I never said he wouldn't be a key forward, I said some of his passages during the midfield were impressive.

Would rather hear peoples opinions on hear from first hand accounts, rather than people re-hashing someone elses third/fourth hand view point pretending their the new Hutchy.

If you re-read my post I never said he wouldn't be a key forward, I said some of his passages during the midfield were impressive.

Would rather hear peoples opinions on hear from first hand accounts, rather than people re-hashing someone elses third/fourth hand view point pretending their the new Hutchy.
I'm giving you first hand account , all the way back to the day he was drafted been saying the same thing

Others seem to agree

I'm looking at him in fantasy. After his performance on the weekend is it fair to say he will be a regular in the team?

Cheers

Until Tex is fit, yes however, it's hard to say if he'll get many games after that block though this season.

27 May Vs Bloods - 12 Disposals - 6 Kicks - 6 Handballs - 0 Centre Clearances - 2 Stoppage Clearances
19 May vs Redlegs - 7 Disposals - 4 Kicks - 3 Handballs - - 0 Centre Clearances - 2 Stoppage Clearances
13 May vs Eagles - 8 Disposals - 4 Kicks - 4 Handballs - - 1 Centre Clearance - 0 Stoppage Clearances
29 April vs Bulldogs - 18 Disposals - 5 Kicks - 13 Handballs - 1 Centre Clearance - 2 Stoppage Clearances

27 May Vs Bloods - 12 Disposals - 6 Kicks - 6 Handballs - 0 Centre Clearances - 2 Stoppage Clearances
19 May vs Redlegs - 7 Disposals - 4 Kicks - 3 Handballs - - 0 Centre Clearances - 2 Stoppage Clearances
13 May vs Eagles - 8 Disposals - 4 Kicks - 4 Handballs - - 1 Centre Clearance - 0 Stoppage Clearances
29 April vs Bulldogs - 18 Disposals - 5 Kicks - 13 Handballs - 1 Centre Clearance - 2 Stoppage Clearances

Wasn't he playing injured during that time?

Fogarty thus far in his whole junior career has played mostly up forward and some defence, the occasions he's played on the ball he has been mostly underwhelming. A dominant forward is far more valuable than a midfielder unless they are absolute superstars of the Martin, Dangerfield or Ablett Jr ilk. I just don't get why people are hell bent on going down the midfielder road with Fogarty when the nature of the AFL beast clearly shows more quality midfielders are far more readily available than quality key position players. From what I'm hearing from Darcy himself the club would appear to be going down the KPF path as almost every time he's interviewed he mentions he's learning leading patterns etc.
Gaj was a small forward. Dangerfield was a defender at times leading into the draft, then played forward. Martin took a long time to build up the tank for the midfield.

A player's junior career doesn't define them as a long term player. Physically, Fogarty is probably more similar to Martin than he is Tex.

Ruling him out from rolling through the midfield is a big call to make at this point.

Wasn't he playing injured during that time?
I may be mistaken but I thought it was prior, it wasn't until before U18 Championships it was widely reported and he certainly he had the knee heavily strapped right through the series. The lad has said a number of times he was very disappointed with his form right from the start of the season 2017 season

Gaj was a small forward. Dangerfield was a defender at times leading into the draft, then played forward. Martin took a long time to build up the tank for the midfield.

A player's junior career doesn't define them as a long term player. Physically, Fogarty is probably more similar to Martin than he is Tex.

Ruling him out from rolling through the midfield is a big call to make at this point.
Who's ruling him out of rolling through the midfield? All some of us are saying is on everything we've seen so far we feel his future is as a forward and listening to all his interviews it would appear that's the track the club is going down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's ruling him out of rolling through the midfield? All some of us are saying is on everything we've seen so far we feel his future is as a forward and listening to all his interviews it would appear that's the track the club is going down.
I'm saying he will roll through the midfield in part, similar to Petracca last year. Predominantly forward, but rolling through the centre square to disrupt his match up and be an impact player at the coal face.

For some reason you disagree with this?

Yes agree with that. Looks a pure forward based on 2 JLT games. Most exciting JLT debut since McGovern a couple years ago.

That wouldn't be very hard! McGovern didn't do much at all in his JLT debut. I remember seeing him in a lot of screen shots near the play, but without actually touching it, and wondering who in the hell is that fresh-faced lad. He was gifted games early, and that was indeed the correct strategy. Fog's game on the weekend was much better.

Those are the figures Mookay has built a 12 year career on...and you want to say he won't make it as a mid?

It's not about the numbers and it's true some guys like Fyfe start as forwards , I would rate Hayward a potential midfielder in time despite being a forward up this point

It's about a players characteristics and strengths and from everything I have seen of Fogarty his future lies as a key forward and potentially a very good one

There seems to be an obsession throughout the comp with mids , even the Brownlow reflects this but key forwards get paid the big bucks for a reason - Tom Lynch GC, Buddy , Carey back in the day . Riewoldt was Saints most important player for 10 + years . The list goes on

I'm saying he will roll through the midfield in part, similar to Petracca last year. Predominantly forward, but rolling through the centre square to disrupt his match up and be an impact player at the coal face.

For some reason you disagree with this?
Petracca is a much more natural mid than Fogarty and Fog is more of a natural forward - a key forward ! Petracca will never be a key forward

I may be mistaken but I thought it was prior, it wasn't until before U18 Championships it was widely reported and he certainly he had the knee heavily strapped right through the series. The lad has said a number of times he was very disappointed with his form right from the start of the season 2017 season

Could be what I am remembering, seeing my following of draftees is passive at best.

Petracca is a much more natural mid than Fogarty and Fog is more of a natural forward - a key forward ! Petracca will never be a key forward
Of course Trac won't be a key forward. I'm saying that Fog will roll through the middle, similar to how Trac did last year.

Trac has ultimately struggled to get his fitness up to level, partly due to his size, partly due to his ACL injury. Trac played predominantly forward last year (hate to use it as an example, but Supercoach still have him as a fwd), due to limitations on fitness.

Of course Trac won't be a key forward. I'm saying that Fog will roll through the middle, similar to how Trac did last year.

Trac has ultimately struggled to get his fitness up to level, partly due to his size, partly due to his ACL injury. Trac played predominantly forward last year (hate to use it as an example, but Supercoach still have him as a fwd), due to limitations on fitness.
Exactly ! He's a natural sort of mid if he gets his endurance up , Fog a very natural key forward

Agree completely

Exactly ! He's a natural sort of mid if he gets his endurance up , Fog a very natural key forward

Agree completely

If you go onto the club and the forward players Instagram "stories" pages they had a FORWARDS dinner today at the Base Bar in Norwood exclusively for the Forwards with Francou and all the forwards...Tex, Lynch, Murphy, Himmelberg, Betts, Jenkins, Gallucci, Dear, Davis, Signorello, Jars......and Fogarty that I spotted....not a defender or mid in sight. Looked to be a bonding session for the Forward players probably set up by Francou.

If you go onto the club and the forward players Instagram "stories" pages they had a FORWARDS dinner today at the Base Bar in Norwood exclusively for the Forwards with Francou and all the forwards...Tex, Lynch, Murphy, Himmelberg, Betts, Jenkins, Gallucci, Dear, Davis, Signorello, Jars......and Fogarty that I spotted....not a defender or mid in sight. Looked to be a bonding session for the Forward players probably set up by Francou.
So.........
Mitch McGovern to switch to defence!

Great work Bicks!!!

Back