Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Club dropping some videos of Bruce clunking marks and slotting goals in match sim, good to see!
some not everyone underestimated the loss of Bruce and Roberton to us last year.

EFA

The devil's number according to revelation is 616. I am the neighbor of the beast. 614.
The whole 666 vs 616 is an interesting scholarly debate. The Biblical book of Revelation was written by John to a politically oppressed minority. As such, the highly symbolic tropes in the book are partly there as code, basically to encourage the Christians but not in a way that the Roman authorities could use to hurt them further. One of those techniques is gematria, whereby names are given a numerical value, usually easily discerned by the intended audience: given that audience was first-century Christians, it's always been a bit tricky to figure out what John meant for Christians since. The most likely answer is that 666 (in Rev 13:18) is the sum of the letters in the Hebrew form of "Nero Caesar" transliterated into Greek - the 616 variant would then be explained by it being the sum of the letters of the same name when transliterated into Latin (the Romans commonly used both languages). Basically, Revelation was soon made available in Latin and Greek, and the 666/616 thing was just to make the code "work" to equal Nero (notorious for his persecution of Christians) in either language. There's more to the debate than that, but hey, that'll do for now.

The whole 666 vs 616 is an interesting scholarly debate. The Biblical book of Revelation was written by John to a politically oppressed minority. As such, the highly symbolic tropes in the book are partly there as code, basically to encourage the Christians but not in a way that the Roman authorities could use to hurt them further. One of those techniques is gematria, whereby names are given a numerical value, usually easily discerned by the intended audience: given that audience was first-century Christians, it's always been a bit tricky to figure out what John meant for Christians since. The most likely answer is that 666 (in Rev 13:18) is the sum of the letters in the Hebrew form of "Nero Caesar" transliterated into Greek - the 616 variant would then be explained by it being the sum of the letters of the same name when transliterated into Latin (the Romans commonly used both languages). Basically, Revelation was soon made available in Latin and Greek, and the 666/616 thing was just to make the code "work" to equal Nero (notorious for his persecution of Christians) in either language. There's more to the debate than that, but hey, that'll do for now.
Was Nero the one that fiddled while Rome burnt?

Was Nero the one that fiddled while Rome burnt?
To be fair, that's just the rumour Tacitus reported a fair while later... but the circumstantial evidence against Nero is rather compelling. The area of Rome that was burned was very specific: prime real estate that Nero had been trying to get his hands on for a while. Lo and behold, when all the properties on it were destroyed, Nero requisitioned it... leading some to suspect foul play. Tacitus further claimed that, to distract from such suspicions, Nero looked for the weirdest religious minority he could find as a scapegoat - Christianity. At the time (64AD), Christianity was barely 30 years old, and was increasingly seen as a threat to national security: after all, it took the Jewish anti-polytheism (which the Romans had always been able to pass off as just an isolated little national religion),making it popular among non-Jewish Roman citizens. To really sell that it was all the Christians' fault, Nero went all in: according to Tacitus (certainly no fan of Christianity!) he used Christians as target-practice for archery shows, burned them on stakes as effectively street lamps, chopped off St Paul's head, and executed St Peter by hanging him upside down on a cross.

St John wrote Revelation about 20ish years later, and by then was dealing with Domitian (another fun little emperor for Christians). But Nero had left an indelible impression, becoming a symbol of Roman imperial oppression... which is why it's his name as code in 666/616, rather than Domitian's.

To be fair, that's just the rumour Tacitus reported a fair while later... but the circumstantial evidence against Nero is rather compelling. The area of Rome that was burned was very specific: prime real estate that Nero had been trying to get his hands on for a while. Lo and behold, when all the properties on it were destroyed, Nero requisitioned it... leading some to suspect foul play. Tacitus further claimed that, to distract from such suspicions, Nero looked for the weirdest religious minority he could find as a scapegoat - Christianity. At the time (64AD), Christianity was barely 30 years old, and was increasingly seen as a threat to national security: after all, it took the Jewish anti-polytheism (which the Romans had always been able to pass off as just an isolated little national religion),making it popular among non-Jewish Roman citizens. To really sell that it was all the Christians' fault, Nero went all in: according to Tacitus (certainly no fan of Christianity!) he used Christians as target-practice for archery shows, burned them on stakes as effectively street lamps, chopped off St Paul's head, and executed St Peter by hanging him upside down on a cross.

St John wrote Revelation about 20ish years later, and by then was dealing with Domitian (another fun little emperor for Christians). But Nero had left an indelible impression, becoming a symbol of Roman imperial oppression... which is why it's his name as code in 666/616, rather than Domitian's.
Thanks. I was hoping for a yes, but you've now ruined my joke that technically Richo is our Nero...

Thanks. I was hoping for a yes, but you've now ruined my joke that technically Richo is our Nero...
I'd probably liken him more to Pelchen. Nero and the Pelican shared the same egotistical god-complex, which helps.

Interestingly the Nero palace site is still in the Roman forum complex. Cant remember if it was built over but likely as the Western Roman Empire lasted another 400 odd years.

Nero attempted to put out the fire and was said to have housed and feed the fire victims, but was still a useless kent of an Emperor last of the Julio-Claudians.

And yes Domition was a tyrant.

Anyone interested in the history of Rome, go and listen to The History of Rome by Mike Duncan. Only a 160 episode podcast.
Be warned, it ends in tears.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly the Nero palace site is still in the Roman forum complex. Cant remember if it was built over but likely as the Western Roman Empire lasted another 400 odd years.

Nero attempted to put out the fire and was said to have housed and feed the fire victims, but was still a useless kent of an Emperor last of the Julio-Claudians.

Anyone interested in the history of Rome, go and listen to The History of Rome by Mike Duncan. Only a 160 episode podcast.

Dear God, what have I started? It is one of the attractions of this site. Some of the discussions and standard of writing are outstanding.

And what about for some c. 11th - 15th Century history? Suggestions. Slightly OT

And what about for some c. 11th - 15th Century history? Suggestions. Slightly OT
Depends on what floats your boat about that period. Usually, the mainstream focus of European history shifts at that point from the Mediterranean (it, the Roman empire) to western Europe (ie, the wondrous misnomer that is the Holy Roman Empire). But the East, both in terms of the second and third Rome (vis, Constantinople and Moscow) have also got some ripping yarns during that period.

For example, one of my guilty pleasures is John Julius Norwich's series of books on Byzantium - just freakin' heaps fun. He's certainly not a big fan of my mob, but gosh he tells what happened in Constantinople well.

I didn’t expect to be reading a history and religion lecture on BF today... but I’m not complaining

St Kilda and proud.
Yeah, that's my fault - happens this time of year. There's no games yet and it's a week before my classes start, so I'm cramming - er, I mean researching... er... anyway, I've got all this on my brain and people seem to find it fun.

Any links to match sim vids for those of us who dont have Facebook or Twitter would be appreciated

Depends on what floats your boat about that period. Usually, the mainstream focus of European history shifts at that point from the Mediterranean (it, the Roman empire) to western Europe (ie, the wondrous misnomer that is the Holy Roman Empire). But the East, both in terms of the second and third Rome (vis, Constantinople and Moscow) have also got some ripping yarns during that period.

For example, one of my guilty pleasures is John Julius Norwich's series of books on Byzantium - just freakin' heaps fun. He's certainly not a big fan of my mob, but gosh he tells what happened in Constantinople well.
Former? Videos, podcasts?

Former? Videos, podcasts?
Ack, sorry, I'll have to leave that for somebody else. :( At the risk of sounding snobbish, I don't really deal with things like that, because I'm mainly reading academic-level stuff, and just don't have the time. It's not that I don't appreciate popular-level history (honestly, I think that is invaluable), it's yeah, just that there's only so many hours of the day, and I'm kinda up to my eyeballs in primary sources and scholarly works.

Ack, sorry, I'll have to leave that for somebody else. :( At the risk of sounding snobbish, I don't really deal with things like that, because I'm mainly reading academic-level stuff, and just don't have the time. It's not that I don't appreciate popular-level history (honestly, I think that is invaluable), it's yeah, just that there's only so many hours of the day, and I'm kinda up to my eyeballs in primary sources and scholarly works.
No stress. And vice-versa the reason for shortcuts! Free lectures?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back