Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks to all who make this thread such great reading.

At this time of year I often think of Daniel Sheppard, who disappeared 29 years ago.
I also think of Glen Stewart, who vanished nearly 47 years ago. I believe both men were victims of the so-called 'Family', or the remains of it after BVE was apprehended.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why these disappearances have seemingly been regarded as not connected by LE? There are too many similarities to ignore.

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks to all who make this thread such great reading.

At this time of year I often think of Daniel Sheppard, who disappeared 29 years ago.
I also think of Glen Stewart, who vanished nearly 47 years ago. I believe both men were victims of the so-called 'Family', or the remains of it after BVE was apprehended.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why these disappearances have seemingly been regarded as not connected by LE? There are too many similarities to ignore.

I think because there is no clear evidence to suggest either of the disappearance are connected to the other murders at this point of time . Both are classed as disappearances and not murders .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would just like to put this out there .
If we take Mrb at his word which is very shaky at best bve picked Alan up the Friday night before he was killed and only had him for about 36 hrs 3 hrs alive . So where was Alan for that week ???? Take out that he was my brother and the fact that mom reported him missing on the Sunday night where was he ???

I believe he was picked up the week before or set up by dk but there could be other reasons why .

See what you all think.

If we take Mrb at his word which is very shaky at best bve picked Alan up the Friday night before he was killed and only had him for about 36 hrs 3 hrs alive . So where was Alan for that week ???? Take out that he was my brother and the fact that mom reported him missing on the Sunday night where was he ???

I believe he was picked up the week before or set up by dk but there could be other reasons why .

See what you all think.

My apologies if I am mistaken, but didn’t you post on this forum that Alan was picked up by DK on the Friday and was reported missing by your mum when he failed to return home on the Monday? Only a couple of days not a week. I’m just a bit confused at the moment.
Yes I believe that DK knows more than he has said but I’m also surprised at how close the Prince st house at Alberton was to DK’s home and just around the corner. Also coincidentally just around the corner, as well, from Peter Stogneff’s grandparents house, where his uncle he was supposed to meet that day lived. Peter also lived at one stage with his family on Torrens Rd just up from DK’s before his parents bought the house he was living in when he disappeared.
What are the odds that the closeness of these people all living within such close proximity to each other and not being acquaintances having crossed paths

They used to place many of the protected prisoners in the kitchen... but that was up until the ex-Policeman Tilly (convicted for sex with a minor) was stabbed with a knife by Fyfe.

When I was walking through prisons, I was always weary when they had access to sharp tools... like their workshops. Used to read all the weekly incident reports to know what happened...
Tilly was done for rape of an indigenous young girl and thought he would get away with it but thanks to the judicial system and good police work, ended up where he belonged. How many more of his victims are out there that were to scared to come forward because he was a cop.

See what you all think.

Two other witnesses who'd known Alan for years provided a well-substantiated statement in June 1979 that they saw him at Elizabeth Shopping Centre on Wednesday 20th June with a group of three or four dark-haired guys of a similar age.

If this evidence is accepted, then was he out and about in public, in a place where he was known, calling out to someone he knew, hanging out with lads who presumably have a reason for having never come forward?

Last edited:
Two other witnesses who'd known Alan for years provided a well-substantiated statement in June 1979 that they saw him at Elizabeth Shopping Centre on Wednesday 20th June with a group of three or four dark-haired guys of a similar age.

If this evidence is accepted, then was he out and about in public, in a place where he was known, calling out to someone he knew, hanging out with lads who presumably have a reason for having never come forward?

The only problem with this is that Alan would never have been at Elizabeth without popping in at home . I know the week before he disappeared he was at the town centre with preacher and same mates . This is why I dismiss the date not the people who seen him . This is the reason the police dismissed it as well . Alan’s birthday was on the Thursday so if he was that close to home he would have come home .

Mr b said they picked him up in town and Alan had a lot of alcohol in his body . No money on him why wouldn’t he go home even if it was to get more money to go out with . This is why I ask the question where was he?? With the amount of drugs in his body they didn’t need to give him that much beer unless he was kept drunk and drugged to control him over a long period of time .

hello,

this question has been asked before, but not for a while so I might test the waters again, this is a photo from BVE's murder trial of Richard. It's from Newspix and the caption reads: "Two unnamed men enter the Supreme Court during the Bevan Spencer von Einem court case. 15-year-old Richard Dallas Kelvin is believed to be associated with the 'Family Murders'. He was abducted from a laneway off Ward Street, North Adelaide on 5/06/1983, and his body was found at Kersbrook on 24/07/1983"

does anyone recognise them? they might be nobodies! interested public, police, lawyers - but then they could be associates of BVE, would love to put this one to bed!

unknown men RK Trial.jpg

hello,

this question has been asked before, but not for a while so I might test the waters again, this is a photo from BVE's murder trial of Richard. It's from Newspix and the caption reads: "Tw
unnamed men enter the Supreme Court during the Bevan Spencer von Einem court case. 15-year-old Richard Dallas Kelvin is believed to be associated with the 'Family Murders'. He was abducted from a laneway off Ward Street, North Adelaide on 5/06/1983, and his body was found at Kersbrook on 24/07/1983"

does anyone recognise them? they might be nobodies! interested public, police, lawyers - but then they could be associates of BVE, would love to put this one to bed!

View attachment 1890629

I think l may have answered this query before but it may have been in a PM to someone long ago. I recognise the first man. He is a former friend of many years ago and still alive as far as l know, living in the country south of Adelaide. He moved in strange circles in the 80s and had some aspects of his life he didn't share. I think he probably had associations with some fringe members of BVE'S clan and there were some speculations amongst our friends at the time. Very nice guy, very docile and very kind to his friends. No idea who the other guy is but his face is familiar from somewhere.

I think l may have answered this query before but it may have been in a PM to someone long ago. I recognise the first man. He is a former friend of many years ago and still alive as far as l know, living in the country south of Adelaide. He moved in strange circles in the 80s and had some aspects of his life he didn't share. I think he probably had associations with some fringe members of BVE'S clan and there were some speculations amongst our friends at the time. Very nice guy, very docile and very kind to his friends. No idea who the other guy is but his face is familiar from somewhere.
I think they are both still alive and they definitely knew people BVE knew!! Given the association, a suppression on the name would be likely.

I have been re-reading Deb's book. In it she mentions that BvE rarely sees any visitors at Pt Augusta. However he receives phone calls from three persons. Is there any speculation on who these might be?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been re-reading Deb's book. In it she mentions that BvE rarely sees any visitors at Pt Augusta. However he receives phone calls from three persons. Is there any speculation on who these might be?

I'm assuming Paul - the lifelong friend - who put Marshall in touch with Von Einem might be one.
He's been pretty staunch to BVE for the longest time.

D
You'd assume a sibling might be in this eg his sister. But apparently, according to Debi, one of his brothers doesn't contact him because his brother was so disgusted by the Trevor Peter's diaries that he broke off all contact with Bevo and 'didn't speak to him for decades'. Since the diaries came to light in 2013/14, maybe she's talking about his future plans??

Given Bevo's whining in the Advertiser interview about people who don't contact him, it isn't any of the usual suspects!

It was known that The Green Dragon was a place to buy drugs back then, someone I know who back then would at times be within the same crowd as Karl and his misses at the time after the murders. How long after I would have to ask and clarify but they cant remember who had told them or where they heard it from but Karl and Richard would apparently get their green from that hotel. Again this could be false as they cannot remember how they came to know of this but considering the circumstances that the use of weed was happening amongst this group, it could be a fact. If so is it possible Richard may have known his abductors?

A few questions I had for some of the members who may have far more extensive knowledge about these people back then...
Any additional information on MGL? He too was/is dealing in antiques.. just a coincidence that two gay middle aged men, both involved with antiques, cross paths, get together and start living in the same house.. Where did that connection come from? It’s mentioned Mr R had a younger partner.. is that MGL they are referring to or did they both have some open relationship with other men but just live under the same roof? (They have a joint antiques bizzo ABN separate from Mr. R's shop).
Can anyone also confirm if MGL lived at 14 Ralston St North Adelaide?
Does anyone know the name Peter T Perry and if so in what context?

and last one.. any information about Sammy the Seagull, who he was and if that person has/had been charged or known to be involved with what Ric Marshal was doing behind the scenes?

It was known that The Green Dragon was a place to buy drugs back then, someone I know who back then would at times be within the same crowd as Karl and his misses at the time after the murders. How long after I would have to ask and clarify but they cant remember who had told them or where they heard it from but Karl and Richard would apparently get their green from that hotel. Again this could be false as they cannot remember how they came to know of this but considering the circumstances that the use of weed was happening amongst this group, it could be a fact. If so is it possible Richard may have known his abductors?

A few questions I had for some of the members who may have far more extensive knowledge about these people back then...
Any additional information on MGL? He too was/is dealing in antiques.. just a coincidence that two gay middle aged men, both involved with antiques, cross paths, get together and start living in the same house.. Where did that connection come from? It’s mentioned Mr R had a younger partner.. is that MGL they are referring to or did they both have some open relationship with other men but just live under the same roof? (They have a joint antiques bizzo ABN separate from Mr. R's shop).
Can anyone also confirm if MGL lived at 14 Ralston St North Adelaide?
Does anyone know the name Peter T Perry and if so in what context?

and last one.. any information about Sammy the Seagull, who he was and if that person has/had been charged or known to be involved with what Ric Marshal was doing behind the scenes?
Sammy was charged and found guilty along with Ric Marshall.

Paedophile jailed for 12 years​

• By BY CHIEF COURT REPORTER SEAN FEWSTER
  • THE ADVERTISER
  • 3:50PM MARCH 29, 2012
AFTER four decades of secrecy and shame, paedophile Peter John Marshall has finally been jailed for his "devastating, insidious" crimes.
The District Court today sentenced Marshall - aka Peter John Leith - to 12 years' jail, and ordered he serve a non-parole period of six years, for abusing three boys in the 1970s.

The Green Dragon was not some kind of drug-den. Not any more than any other pub in Adelaide where a customer might ask a mate 'do you know anyone who might have some dope to sell?'.

And it only re-opened as a gay pub about 6 months before Kelvin died.

Not saying it was a drug-den and regardless when it was a gay pub, the place was around well before I was born I am just putting forward my little snippet of information ✌️

Paedophile jailed for 12 years​

• By BY CHIEF COURT REPORTER SEAN FEWSTER
  • THE ADVERTISER
  • 3:50PM MARCH 29, 2012
AFTER four decades of secrecy and shame, paedophile Peter John Marshall has finally been jailed for his "devastating, insidious" crimes.
The District Court today sentenced Marshall - aka Peter John Leith - to 12 years' jail, and ordered he serve a non-parole period of six years, for abusing three boys in the 1970s.

I did see this but was unsure whether or not he was 'Sammy' as it does not mention it or was it just a known fact that this bloke played the Seagull?

regardless when it was a gay pub, the place was around well before I was born

I'm pretty sure the place was shut down before Don Storen majorly refurbished it and opened it. Probably for at least six months.

Not sure it would've been easy for 14 year olds to score weed from any pub.

Not sure it would've been easy for 14 year olds to score weed from any pub.

I grew up in the southern suburbs (Reynella) and was 14yo in the early 80s.
Even we knew about the Green Dragon and what we could get there if we ever ventured into the city.
It's reputation was pretty wide spread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back