Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Bugger me dead I hope JBs War and Peice offering doesn't influence other track watchers to compete with equally long drawn out super slow motion replays of this specimen and that specimen doing specimen stuff under the keen watchfull eye of the Boss.

Pleeeeese can we just go back to feeding us with our customerary morsels on the open forum and post the forensically detailed reports to the PM group for those with the longer concentration spans.
George what's the word limit on a post?
Mike Myers Evil Laugh GIF

Righto…

WARMUPS and DRILLS
  • First things first… it was absolutely STANKING hot.
  • Boys very very vocal in the run throughs.
  • No Crouch today, which is a bit of a concern.
  • Zak Jones was running laps at a rapid click.
  • Tom Campbell was back on the track.
  • Collard could fit three of him inside his shorts… gone full Eddie Betts.
  • Allison was paired off with one of the coaches on the far side, during warmups…think it was BJ… seemingly teaching short leading.
  • Hunter in full training, but in the fluro “don’t touch me” cap.
  • Wilson training with the forwards, Keeler with the backs, Hotton, Henry and Pou with the mids.
  • Hammer and Allison spent time training with both groups of key positions.
  • Byrnes training with the forwards as well; possible reinvention as an Eddy/McQualter 2.0-style defensive forward.
  • McLennan looks a lot more mobile than last year. Pleasing.
  • Rehab group was Jones, Hayes, Butler, Sinclair, and Van Es. Moose was doing timed runs again. Sincs in particular was moving very well.
  • Sir Leonard Hayes was doing a short areas drill where after three handballs they HAD to move the ball competitively inside a 8m or so circle. Drove them very hard. BJ was watching closely. Group was with Max, Ro, Doogs, Wilkie, Bonner, Battle, Wilson, Seb, Chito, Henry, Windy, and Hill when I was watching. Hands were predominantly excellent.
  • Keeler is an absolute weapon in close quarters for a very tall kid. Moves like he’s 20cm shorter.
  • Garcia goes full throttle at all times. Absolute madman. Lenny and BJ love him.
  • Moose off by himself with a coach working on marking, then immediately getting back on what would be the mark and moving the ball.
  • Butler taking set shots from 35m out in the “wrong” pocket. Didn’t kick a single one. 😬
  • Butler and Hayes kicking to each other on repeat leads was interesting to watch. Both looked proppy still.
  • Darby Hipwell (Sandy) back on deck again… club is putting a LOT of work into him. No idea who the borderline albino in 46 was though (got called Hugo during match sim, so I assume Hall-Kahan), or 37.
  • Half ground drill with mostly the probables was very competitive. Other than the more obvious ones… Bonner was involved, as we McLennan, Hipwell (Sandy), Garcia, Hotton, Wilson and Stocker.
  • Hammer absolutely obliterated Doogs on the lead. Twice. Doogs was… unimpressed. 🤣
  • Stocker (on Titanic) was extremely vocal. As much as Wilkie. He’s in excellent form and nick.
  • Every time there was a marking contest, Enright would restart as if there had been a turnover in defence, regardless of whether someone was kicking for goal or not. Kept the boys moving and thinking.
  • The ball could come in from either of the “ruck contes” on either wing. Funnily enough, no actual ruckmen were involved.
  • Ross gave BJ a minor talking to about something… no idea what, but was interesting; he doesn’t even give the coaches an inch!
MATCH SIM
  • Red the probables at my end, McLennan on Snags, Zlugger on King, Stocker on Titanic, Keeler on Membrey.
  • Coaches full of praise for the Irishman for him decision making out of defence.
  • Chito kicked the first for Red from a set shot from 45m.
  • Max sat out the back on Keeler who got beaten over the top trying to cover. Kicked the second for Red from a set shot snap deep in the pocket.
  • Howard outpaced Allison on the lead at the other end to snuff out a promising entry for Yellow.
  • Very clean transition down the outer wing lead to a goalsquare dribble goal to Hill (I think) for Red.
  • Hunter in the middle for Yellow, still in the “hands off” cap. Moving very smoothly. Bit of a group in-drawn breath when he floated across an oncoming Steele to spoil.
  • Pou played entirely in the midfield.
  • Hastie sat very well in the hole for Yellow to deny a Chito lead. His kicking is lovely.
  • RTB stopped the entire sim to tell everyone off for their positioning.
  • And again to tell Zlugger off for not making sure the Yellow defenders were where they were supposed to be.
  • After the sim, Wood did a heap of work with the Irishman on defensive positioning. He’s a superb mentor.
There was some general farting about with goalkicking and blokes taking hangers over Batch, who was wearing a tackle bag on his back.

They went inside after that. Can’t blame ‘em.

I’m out. It’s about 58° degrees in the shade…
That's a good boy, listening to what Daddy tells you :cool:

Bugger me dead I hope JBs War and Peice offering doesn't influence other track watchers to compete with equally long drawn out super slow motion replays of this specimen and that specimen doing specimen stuff under the keen watchfull eye of the Boss.

Pleeeeese can we just go back to feeding us with our customerary morsels on the open forum and post the forensically detailed reports to the PM group for those with the longer concentration spans.

Seems to me that quite a number on here enjoy the lengthy training posts - as detailed as possible even.

Just scroll past if ya can't beef hooked reading :thumbsupemoji:

(PM group gets ... other.... "tasty morsels" as you say ;) )

Seems to me that quite a number on here enjoy the lengthy training posts - as detailed as possible even.

Just scroll past if ya can't beef hooked reading :thumbsupemoji:

(PM group gets ... other.... "tasty morsels" as you say ;) )

There's the dark web and then there's the Saints BF PM group...badge that!

It's like the stuff you won't learn at University or reading the HS.

Last edited:
Asked Chat GPT to do a preview for the season so here it is

Strengths:

1. Midfield Depth: St Kilda boasts a strong midfield unit led by Jack Steele, who is one of the league's premier midfielders. With players like Brad Crouch, Zak Jones, and Seb Ross providing support, the Saints have depth and talent in the engine room.
  2. Forward Line Potential: The Saints have promising forwards such as Max King and Tim Membrey, who have shown the ability to impact games and provide a focal point in attack. With continued development, the Saints' forward line has the potential to be potent.
  3. Defensive Structure: St Kilda's defensive structure, anchored by players like Dougal Howard and Callum Wilkie, has shown resilience at times. They have the ability to restrict opposition scoring and generate turnovers, providing a solid foundation for the team.
  4. Coaching Stability: Under coach Ross Lyon, the Saints have shown signs of improvement and competitiveness. Lyon's coaching style emphasizes accountability, discipline, and team-first ethos, which has resonated well with the players.
Weaknesses:

1. Consistency: St Kilda has struggled with consistency in recent seasons, often following strong performances with disappointing losses. Addressing consistency issues will be crucial for the Saints to become a more competitive side.
  2. Defensive Lapses: While the Saints' defensive structure is solid at times, they have been prone to lapses in concentration and defensive breakdowns, leading to conceding easy goals. Tightening up defensively will be a focus area for improvement.
  3. Scoring Efficiency: Despite having talented forwards, St Kilda has sometimes struggled with scoring efficiency and conversion inside forward 50. Improving their ability to capitalize on scoring opportunities will be essential for winning close games.
Key Players:

1. Jack Steele (Midfielder): Steele is the heartbeat of the St Kilda midfield, known for his relentless work rate, tackling pressure, and ability to win contested possessions. He provides leadership and sets the standard for the team.
  2. Max King (Forward): As a young key forward, Max King represents the future of St Kilda's forward line. Blessed with athleticism and marking ability, he has shown glimpses of his potential and will be pivotal in the Saints' scoring structure.
  3. Brad Crouch (Midfielder): Crouch, a recruit from Adelaide, adds experience and ball-winning ability to St Kilda's midfield. His presence strengthens the midfield rotation and provides valuable support to Jack Steele.
Outlook:

St Kilda has shown potential but needs to address consistency and tighten up defensively to compete against the AFL's top sides. With a talented core of players and the guidance of coach Ross Lyon, the Saints have the foundation to push for finals contention. Continued development of young talent, particularly in the forward line, will be crucial for their success.

Seb looks like the one that could get pushed out but it's up to others to go past him to do that. Last year he started to look banged up but started well and was dropping away as the rest of the side did.
We all know our midfield needs to change for us to be any kind of threat and we all know Steele and Crouch perform so Ross will be lucky to be in the 22 - however he would be a excellent sub / he is a good player but he isn't the dynamic player that we need to fix our one paced midfield.

Anyway by the looks Henry could be the spark that improves our midfield with Owens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's the dark web and then there's the Saints BF PM group...badge that!
Cairnsman.....to complicate things/spook posters even further.......there's also the Saints BF Brains Trust PM group.

I don't think even ASIO could untangle things the way there headed !!!!!!!

That's a good boy, listening to what Daddy tells you :cool:
Mate… my dad has hair.

Jog (in your case… slowly…) on.

Thanks Joffa for your efforts in compiling this..hopefully my two bobs worth gives a little insight!
Not with you on Van Es.

Absolutely think he’ll make it, assuming his body doesn’t hold him back. Happily mixed it up with much older blokes at Sandy, and didn’t take a single backward step.

I asked chat gpt for a training report. Here's what I got:

Fan's Wild Training Session Recap - St Kilda FC Extravaganza

Warmups and Shenanigans:

• The weather was hotter than a kangaroo in a sauna, but the boys channeled their inner banshees with high-energy run-throughs.
  • Rumors flew about Crouch's secret mission to find the perfect coffee, leaving fans intrigued and mildly caffeinated.
  • Zak Jones decided laps were too mainstream and opted for interpretative dance instead.
  • Tom Campbell's return was accompanied by a live accordion performance, showcasing his hidden musical talents.
  • Collard's shorts could host a mini pop-up market, but it seems he's going for the "fashionably oversized" look, à la Eddie Betts.

Positional Oddities:
  • Allison engaged in a heated debate with a seagull on the far side during warmups, possibly discussing seagull tactics for the season.
  • Hammer and Allison played a game of musical chairs between the forwards and backs, leaving everyone wondering if they're practicing secret teleportation skills.
  • Hunter, sporting a neon "don't touch me" cap, insisted on being addressed as "Sir Hunter the Elusive."

Injury-Prone Extravaganza:
  • The rehab group, featuring Jones, Hayes, Butler, Sinclair, and Van Es, turned their timed runs into an impromptu interpretative dance-off. Jones's moonwalk was a highlight.
  • Sir Leonard Hayes led a drill involving handballs, interpretive dance moves, and somersaults, showcasing his avant-garde coaching style.

Match Sim - Reality or Fever Dream?:
  • Red team, led by Chito and Stocker, unveiled their secret weapon: a live llama as a mascot.
  • Max King, in an unexpected turn of events, attempted a set shot with his non-dominant foot from the boundary line and nailed it, earning him the title "Footy's Unpredictable Maestro."
  • Hunter, now donning a full clown costume, showcased his impeccable juggling skills in the midfield.

Post-Simulation Absurdities:
  • Ross and BJ engaged in a heated debate over the best pizza toppings, temporarily forgetting they were at a footy training session.
  • Wood transformed into a motivational speaker, delivering an impassioned speech about the existential meaning of tackling bags.

Conclusion - A Carnival of Chaos:
Amidst the chaos, the Saints proved they're not just a football team; they're entertainers, mystics, and possibly time-travelers. Fans left the session with a sense of bewilderment, eager to unravel the mysteries that await in the upcoming season. Whether it's Jones's interpretative dance moves or Max King's secret talents, one thing is for sure – this season promises to be a rollercoaster of the bizarre and the brilliant.
How do I follow the Chat GPT poster?

Not sure if serious or sarcastic but I couldnt disagree more, I'd rather read a thread with preseason trackside reports than pages and pages of trolling bickering and irrelevant bullshit about Taylor *ung swift, coffee, or whatever non footy topic inspired the peanut gallery in any given week. Don't think I'm tye only one either

Get a feeling we might come down to earth a little after the two practice matches, though I don't believe it will have much bearing on the proper season. Butt be prepared to have wild expectations tempered somewhat.

My personal preference for leadership group would be

Wilkie Captain
Steele
Sinclair
Windhager
Stocker

We all know our midfield needs to change for us to be any kind of threat and we all know Steele and Crouch perform so Ross will be lucky to be in the 22 - however he would be a excellent sub / he is a good player but he isn't the dynamic player that we need to fix our one paced midfield.

Anyway by the looks Henry could be the spark that improves our midfield with Owens.
Going by training, Owens will be predominantly forward giving Marshall the occasional chop out…Phillipou will be used mainly as a midfielder!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back