List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like people are too harsh on small forwards.

It's feast or famine often.

Expecting a crumbing goal a game is wrong. A lot of the premium smalls get most of their goals from general forward craft, marks inside 50 and getting out the back.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
points off for "craft".........

We need a second tall defender and Austin needs to stop picking tall duds like McDonald/Durdin and Young - there I said it ( again).

I don't think Young is a dud. He is very good as a pure aerial defender and held Lynch pretty comfortably on Friday (one goal from a soft early free kick and one goal from a ruck free kick that Young had nothing to do with was his total for the match). He has also improved his disposal - or more accurately, improved his decision making to only take safe disposals.

He is poor when the ball is on the ground, but so are many key defenders (including Weitering at times). Has been exposed a bit in our first two games but that's partly because our press has pushed much more aggressively up thebground, creating more turnovers but leaving the defence more exposed if the ball gets through (a good trade off).

Ultimately, we spent our FA $ on Williams, McGovern, Martin and Cerra, with varying results. We have spent big on our own guys too. At some.point you have to carry some cheaper players with flaws... Collingwood won the flag with Billy Frampton playing Young's role. I think we can cover him as needed...

Yep, if we were setting up for a premium trade target, Sam would be very high on the list. Despite the media hype, the Cats are due for a period of mediocrity, which will likely encompass the remainder of SDK’s career. Has connection with us through big brother and was a Blues supporter growing up.

Definitely the type of key defender that we need to complement Weitering in, say, three years.

I am all for building through the draft, but our ability to find a gun young key defender with later draft picks, father/son commitments and a Tassie compromised draft scenario in a couple of years is very limited.
Yeah but............

Geelong don't lose players they want to keep.

They will just give SDK some land big enough for his own postcode off the books ala, Danger and Cameron.

Just ask 'mayor of Geelong' Lingy !!!

Celery cap my arse!!!

I don't think Young is a dud. He is very good as a pure aerial defender and held Lynch pretty comfortably on Friday (one goal from a soft early free kick and one goal from a ruck free kick that Young had nothing to do with was his total for the match). He has also improved his disposal - or more accurately, improved his decision making to only take safe disposals.

He is poor when the ball is on the ground, but so are many key defenders (including Weitering at times). Has been exposed a bit in our first two games but that's partly because our press has pushed much more aggressively up thebground, creating more turnovers but leaving the defence more exposed if the ball gets through (a good trade off).

Ultimately, we spent our FA $ on Williams, McGovern, Martin and Cerra, with varying results. We have spent big on our own guys too. At some.point you have to carry some cheaper players with flaws... Collingwood won the flag with Billy Frampton playing Young's role. I think we can cover him as needed...

He is too soft mate and lacks confidence in himself - he needs to harden up big time- letting players run through him like he is made of tissue paper is a bad look - playing like he hasn't been drilled where to look and where to kick and then his dicky little stabs which see the ball balloon up in the air in slow motion to a bloke 10 meters away - yeah nahhh....

Motlops 'tricks' are being strong through the hips and being able to banana the ball. He doesn't burst through stoppages or turn players inside out with his agility and speed... He's an opportunist not a creator.

Just gets to good areas and hits the scoreboard every now and then. He is miles off a gun small forward and they get probably 5x the attention from opposition in games.

Compare the players and how dynamic they are in comparison.

Motlop has supposedly had a huge pre season so I hope he comes out and smashes it but to bank on him being a star small forward for years to come is imo lunacy. Think he will just be a solid player without ever reaching the heights some think he will.

That is a very unfair comparison.

Those other players have had years in the system and 2 consistent (games played together) very good talls to play with over the journey.

Let's see what motlop can do in the next 5 years before we compare him to Bolton, Ryan and Cameron!!

We need a second tall defender and Austin needs to stop picking tall duds like McDonald/Durdin and Young - there I said it ( again).
Probably, but we actually have more tall backline options than we do tall forwards. I don't care what position on the ground they play but the less players we need to hide behind our stronger performers, the better. That's the way I look at it.

That is a very unfair comparison.

Those other players have had years in the system and 2 consistent (games played together) very good talls to play with over the journey.

Let's see what motlop can do in the next 5 years before we compare him to Bolton, Ryan and Cameron!!
They all showed those traits both in their draft years and very early on in their careers. Motlop has his own strengths but at no stage has he shown the agility and speed of those 3, not even close to it.

Players don't become different athletes with added years in the system, they just refine their craft and get incrementally stronger, faster etc. Motlop will never be Charlie Cameron or Shai Bolton, he's just not that type of athlete.

What would SDK be worth in a trade?
2 x 1st's with a 2nd coming back?
1 x 1st + a good player?
Which players would be happy to let go?
Carroll, Cuningham, Kennedy, Kemp, Durdin, Marchbank?
I don't think any of them would get it done.

What would SDK be worth in a trade?
2 x 1st's with a 2nd coming back?
1 x 1st + a good player?
Which players would be happy to let go?
Carroll, Cuningham, Kennedy, Kemp, Durdin, Marchbank?
I don't think any of them would get it done.
If you’re Geelong you’d want 2x top 10 picks for him… Blokes a gun…

l don't believe it is that simple, last 2 years there have been quite a number of quality key defenders in the top 10 via the draft unless we are willing to give something up of value not that simple to move into that position.

Ben Mckay was probably a good fit but was way over priced in terms of his value.

l don't believe it is that simple, last 2 years there have been quite a number of quality key defenders in the top 10 via the draft unless we are willing to give something up of value not that simple to move into that position.

Ben Mckay was probably a good fit but was way over priced in terms of his value.
Collins was delisted and now a gun at Suns

They all showed those traits both in their draft years and very early on in their careers. Motlop has his own strengths but at no stage has he shown the agility and speed of those 3, not even close to it.

Players don't become different athletes with added years in the system, they just refine their craft and get incrementally stronger, faster etc. Motlop will never be Charlie Cameron or Shai Bolton, he's just not that type of athlete.

Why the comparison though?

Motlop has shown a lot in his brief career, why complain that he isn’t as good as those others?

Just seems like a chance to tear down rather than look for positives!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young is no good, he will go straight out when Weitwring vomes back in against North.

Young is soft, second guesses too much. Doesn't get along with Weiters either.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Young is no good, he will go straight out when Weitwring vomes back in against North.

Young is soft, second guesses too much. Doesn't get along with Weiters either.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Young is a solid back up when Weitering is unavailable.
Collingwood won a flag with no key forwards and a dud in Frampton.

Jack Martin going to make a huge difference to our forward line when he's back

Was a massive part of our turn around last year

Jack Martin going to make a huge difference to our forward line when he's back

Was a massive part of our turn around last year
While we all no doubt agree that Martin is a difference maker when healthy... He's 29 and as injury prone as Marchbank.

We need other options down there who can provide spark like Martin does when he's up and running.

Either have to target one in the draft before the Campo twins which will be fairly difficult to do, or stump up the cash for one as a FA/Trade which may just as difficult.

Whatever the case is it's clearly our biggest deficiency imo, has to be addressed if Mots and Durds don't take the next step this year.

While we all no doubt agree that Martin is a difference maker when healthy... He's 29 and as injury prone as Marchbank.

We need other options down there who can provide spark like Martin does when he's up and running.

Either have to target one in the draft before the Campo twins which will be fairly difficult to do, or stump up the cash for one as a FA/Trade which may just as difficult.

Whatever the case is it's clearly our biggest deficiency imo, has to be addressed if Mots and Durds don't take the next step this year.
WTG, over the last 2 off seasons you have wanted to trade a number of players, for targets that haven't even been gettable

No list is perfect, nor will they ever be given cap and draft/trade capital I'd limited

I mean it's fun, but not realistic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back