Prediction Round 9, 2024: Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggle to see how Pies kick enough goals to win a game against even an ordinary team. So, about to find out if we are an ordinary team.

Bobby Hill could still get off the chain if we aren’t careful. Would put Hough on him.

Both teams missing a few forwards and mids. Could be a game of ping pong with defenders intercepting and having a big impact for the teams down back.

It might be a good game to roll the dice a bit and play Harry Edwards to free up Barrass to go forward.

A lot will depend on how Sheed and Ginbey (and maybe Duggan?) go replacing Yeo. Sheed does love playing against the pies.

I probably expect Pies to use Crisp in the middle more to cover Mitchell/De Goey.

It’s either an arm wrestle between two undermanned teams or they blow us away.

Bobby Hill could still get off the chain if we aren’t careful. Would put Hough on him.

Both teams missing a few forwards and mids. Could be a game of ping pong with defenders intercepting and having a big impact for the teams down back.

It might be a good game to roll the dice a bit and play Harry Edwards to free up Barrass to go forward.

A lot will depend on how Sheed and Ginbey (and maybe Duggan?) go replacing Yeo. Sheed does love playing against the pies.

I probably expect Pies to use Crisp in the middle more to cover Mitchell/De Goey.

It’s either an arm wrestle between two undermanned teams or they blow us away.
Their undermanned is better than out undermanned. Hopeful but with low expectations.

Let’s not overstate Collingwood’s injuries. They’re missing from their best 22 -
• DeGoey
• Mitchell
• McCreery
• Mihocek
• McStay
• Schultz (suspended)

So 6 best 22

By comparison we’re missing from our best 22 -
• Allen
• Yeo
• Waterman
• Flynn
• Long
• Hewett

It’s pretty comparable but I’ll bet come game day the talk will centre on who’s missing from Collingwood with scant acknowledgment of who isn’t playing for us
To be fair ours are reasonably spread across forwards and mids.

Pies missing basically their first choice forward line

De Goey, Mihoceck, Elliot
McCreery, McStay, Shultz

Bobby Hil is the one that's left.

Hunt for Yeo and Maric for Waterman are both obvious leaving us with -

FB: Hough Barrass Rotham
HB: Duggan McGovern Cole
C: Hunt Kelly Chesser
HF: Cripps Darling Petruccelle
FF: Ryan Williams(J) Maric
R: Williams(B) Ginbey Reid

IC: Sheed Edwards(L) Witherden

Final I/C and sub to come from Jones, Johnston, Hall or Dewar with my preference being Johnston to get a full game then one of the other three to be sub

If one of Sheed or Edwards were to find their way out of the side I’d be happy due to their lack of pace but I think the MC won’t want to make more than 3 changes to the starting 22 so they get a reprieve

Last edited:
Rather than moving Gov forward, my suggestion is to release Bailey W to play as a forward more
So use him and Jw in the Centre bounces but use JD as a forward ruck and Gov as a ruck in the back line a little bit more.

Rather than moving Gov forward, my suggestion is to release Bailey W to play as a forward more
So use him and Jw in the Centre bounces but use JD as a forward ruck and Gov as a ruck in the back line a little bit more.
We still need someone to do the ruckwork in the middle of the ground, and matchup on Darcy Cameron. One of the Williams will still have to be around the ground all game, even if Darling/Gov do rucking in their arcs

Hunt for Yeo and Maric for Waterman are both obvious leaving us with -

FB: Hough Barrass Rotham
HB: Duggan McGovern Cole
C: Hunt Kelly Chesser
HF: Cripps Darling Petruccelle
FF: Ryan Williams(J) Maric
R: Williams(B) Ginbey Reid

IC: Sheed Edwards(L) Witherden

Final I/C and sub to come from Jones, Johnston, Hall or Dewar with my preference being Johnston to get a full game then one of the other three to be sub

If one of Sheed or Edwards were to find their way out of the side I’d be happy due to their lack of pace but I think the MC won’t want to make more than 3 changes to the starting 22 so they get a reprieve
Im hoping that Johnston is a straight swap for Long, seems like a somewhat like for like, if Johnston prefers wing we could put Sheed at HFF to let Johnston play up the ground.

I think id prefer Dewar as sub, I think we have enough flexibility in our team to be able to move a forward(Petch) elsewhere to allow Dewar to come in. Hopefully he brings a bit of a spark too

Wouldn't suprise me for the MC to bring in Gaff to get more experience and maturity into the midfield.

Not saying it's the right choice, just could see it happening.

I would prefer for Duggan to be brought into the midfield and a defender coming in to replace him in the backline.

I don't think Culley is ready to be promoted yet, Hall could do with a few more games I reckon...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't suprise me for the MC to bring in Gaff to get more experience and maturity into the midfield.

I would prefer for Duggan to be brought into the midfield and a defender coming in to replace him in the backline.

I don't think Culley is ready to be promoted yet, Hall could do with a few more games I reckon...
Theres no way we should ever have both gaff and sheed in the team

Why not bring Gaff in for his farewell game or should we leave that until we are back at optus.

Not going to happen.

Simmo said we are going to get younger.

Obviously Maric and Hunt come in, it’s just about whether the other change is Johnston or Hall I think.

Last edited:
Struggle to see how Pies kick enough goals to win a game against even an ordinary team. So, about to find out if we are an ordinary team.
I can save you from waiting until Sunday if you’d like…

I believe Darling already takes all of the f50 ruck contests, definitely from ball-ups but I thought from throw-ins too but can't remember.

Crazy strong somehow he is actually decent at at least making it a scrap and quite regularly grabs it himself.

Also there was that play where both of the Williams were in the f50 but Darling still rucked, ending in Darling to Bwill to Jwill goal.

Clubs opinion. That's what they will input into any decision making. Being top 3 in a team that was belted and outclassed isn't a Hugh step up.

Except he wasn’t top 3, even in the clubs own opinion.

Top Three

Harry Edwards

“Harry was our best for the day. He came back with some good form after playing well the week before at AFL level and really took that into this game. He defended exceptionally well, rarely go beaten in a one on one and saved the day for us a lot and gave us good drive in offense.”

Clay Hall

“Clay’s best game of the year. He competed really hard, we gave him a job in the second half and he did it really well. It was a really big step forward for Clay and look forward to launching off this performance.”

Harley Sparks

“Strong game from Harley, he was actually playing against his old team which can be a bit overwhelming, but he handled it really well. He was fierce with the contest inside and finished with 11 clearances and worked really hard for his team all day.

Biggest thing I take for that recap is Burgiel being moved to the wing. It had been floated on bigfooty as a possible move so good to see it happen. Would also explain why he most likely didn't have the greatest game.

Can't see how this week won't be a blowout. No Waterman Yeo Long.

All players that are in positions badly needed to our structure. Think the wheels are falling off this week. Can't help injuries but this sucks.

Anything under 100 point loss is a win this week. Away from home against a quality side in Collingwood. Sheed Gaff and an seriously out of form Liam.Ryan are all liabilities this year.

This is going to be like a car crash that you can't look away from. Strap yourselves in. Can see nothing other then ugly heading into this game.

Can't see how this week won't be a blowout. No Waterman Yeo Long.

All players that are in positions badly needed to our structure. Think the wheels are falling off this week. Can't help injuries but this sucks.

Anything under 100 point loss is a win this week. Away from home against a quality side in Collingwood. Sheed Gaff and an seriously out of form Liam.Ryan are all liabilities this year.

This is going to be like a car crash that you can't look away from. Strap yourselves in. Can see nothing other then ugly heading into this game.
I'm not as pessimistic as you.

Collingwood have a fair few out as well and it's not at the MCG.

I'd be happy if we can keep it to around 5 goals.

Except he wasn’t top 3, even in the clubs own opinion.

Top Three

Harry Edwards

“Harry was our best for the day. He came back with some good form after playing well the week before at AFL level and really took that into this game. He defended exceptionally well, rarely go beaten in a one on one and saved the day for us a lot and gave us good drive in offense.”

Clay Hall

“Clay’s best game of the year. He competed really hard, we gave him a job in the second half and he did it really well. It was a really big step forward for Clay and look forward to launching off this performance.”

Harley Sparks

“Strong game from Harley, he was actually playing against his old team which can be a bit overwhelming, but he handled it really well. He was fierce with the contest inside and finished with 11 clearances and worked really hard for his team all day.

why bother, in the top 3 listed players -ie available for AFL selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back