Former player Jarrad Grant

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Jarrod Grant

Set up Gia with a nice tap over the back and Gia didn't even acknowledge him!

I noticed that as well, pretty poor from a leader of the club.

He’s got form in that regard as far as I’m concerned “Team player and leader” isn’t just about rhetoric. The incident when he turned his back on Harbrow (the initiator of a coast to coast gia goal) in post goal celebrations a couple of years ago forever colours my view of him. You learn a lot in moments like that.
Grant has really been putting in and doing a lot of selfless things. The coach will see it and give him credit even if some self-interested seniors don’t.

The candle burns bright and fast in the AFL ranks and if the recent retirements of Dogs veterans Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Hargravehave taught Jarrad Grant anything, it's that you must maximize your time in the big leagues when it's presented.

Set to play his 50th game for the Western Bulldogs this Sunday against the Brisbane Lions, Grant now more than ever realizes the precious opportunity he has and his deep desire to replicate the career longevity of his retiring teammates.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/w...article/tabid/4112/newsid/146256/default.aspx

Sounds like he is in the right frame of mind, and is prepared for a big pre-season.

Hoping for a good season from Grant. 20 games and 30+ goals would be nice.

He's had enough time now. Knows where the goals are just needs to be given games IMO. In a side that struggles up forward I think he could make a bit of an impact this year.

Hoping for a good season from Grant. 20 games and 30+ goals would be nice.

He's had enough time now. Knows where the goals are just needs to be given games IMO. In a side that struggles up forward I think he could make a bit of an impact this year.

I hope you are right on a couple of accounts Daz, but one I disagree strongly. He does not need to be "given games", he needs to damn well EARN them.
He no doubt has the talent, but to date something else is missing, and from outside it looks to be in the area of attitude somewhere unfortunately. Let us
hope it is something he and B Mac can turn around, and this year. I think it is definitely now or never for J Grant.

To me he looks like the sort of player that would be much more effective in a good side than a bad side, thats why I'm not expecting that much from him this year (but to be fair, he needs to give us something to stay on the list)

The sort of player who is more of the icing rather than the actual cake.

He's 24 in july. * me.

22 is about the age you need to show if you are an afl player or not. He's well past that. Time to take the next step in 2013 or trade/delist IMO.

To think players like dangerfield, rioli and taylor came after this guy...

Is it time to just chuck him in the team for the rest off the year if he shows somthing we keep him if he doesn't we delist him?

Isn't this the sort of stuff that the mods wanted us to use Dogs Tags for?

One way or another, with four half forwards out injured (Dickson, Murph, Gia, Higgins) it's looking bleak for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#1: Jarrad Grant: For the majority of the season, Grant’s critics had gone to an all-time high, being regarded as a waste of talent, depleted and another under-performing first round draft pick by the Bulldogs by not only the football world but by Western Bulldogs supporters. The season didn’t start particularly well for Jarrad who suffered on-going hamstring and back tightness throughout the NAB Cup which derailed the forwards pre-season. Grant’s career hit an all time low when he featured for Williamstown reserves in a match against Frankston. It wasn’t until his return to the senior side in round 16 against Essendon that evoked one of the stories of the season when Jarrad not only helped turn the Bulldogs season around but saved his career. Playing every game for the rest of the season, Grant averaged 16 disposals a game, 5.7 marks a game and 1.6 goals a game. His turn-around included a close to best on ground performance against Carlton in round 20, in which he had a career high 24 disposal and kicked 4.3. Grant’s new found hunger and desire to make it in the top level has earnt the respect from all footy world but more importantly bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney which has set him up for a big 2014.

A good little article on him here: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-care-factor-20130831-2sxvx.html

Even in the cheek-by-jowl existence of a football club a man can be a relative unknown if he so chooses, yet Grant is no outsider. He is popular, highly regarded for his smarts in understanding both the game and the world around it, and part of a sub-set the epicurean Will Minson calls ''the anti-club'', who regularly seek out a richer lunchtime experience than what's on offer in-house.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-care-factor-20130831-2sxvx.html#ixzz2gLUZCq43

Grant made his debut in 2009 in the #1 after Farren Ray was traded to St Kilda, I know he never played in it but I'm interested to know what number he was assigned when he was drafted at the end of 2011, if anyone remembers?

Grant made his debut in 2009 in the #1 after Farren Ray was traded to St Kilda, I know he never played in it but I'm interested to know what number he was assigned when he was drafted at the end of 2011, if anyone remembers?
He started with #24 in 2008 IIRC

He started with #24 in 2008 IIRC

Remember correctly you do. I dug out my preliminary final record from 2008.
Interesting he got the #1 having not yet made his debut. They must've really rated him.

Give his manager some credit for convincing the club to give him two years within a couple of days of being in the country? haha

His manager's as silky a talker as Jarrad is a player. Side-stepped that one year deal like Spindles did Bootsma.
I'm glad we got him for two though, the faith has to go both ways for both parties to be confident. 2 years is the right deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back